Air Compressor ? for plasma / shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor ? for plasma / shop

I'm in the process of procuring an Air Compressor for general shop use as well as operate a plasma cutter. I found a 1995 1 owner Kellogg American model 335 with little use on it. It is a 2 cyl , 2 stage comp that according to the book he had was rated at about 20cfm @ 100psi. It has a 5 hp Baldor motor. I looked at it today and it is mint, still on the original shipping pallet. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that it has not been used in about 6 years. (garage kept) I was wondering what issue I might face if I were to purchase this unit. I'm thinking that possibly the cyl's could have some internal surface rust from lack of use. (It was stored with oil in the compressor) I would turn the pump over by hand and change the oil prior to start up, but based on your experience, would I be better off to keep looking or should this compressor most likely be fine with a 'careful' startup? Anything
    I may be over looking?

Thanks for any advice,
    Mike

how to choose an air compressor
    Read this information it answers all the questions with out all the BS. Even though they are an air compressor maker. It applies to any compressor.
    Forget the buzz works peak air flow or peak hp they are all BS.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

If the price is right for you I recommend you get the compressor while you have the chance.
      There may be rust on parts inside of it, but it will not be because it has been sitting.

The condensation collects inside the valves and they need cleaning from time to time.
      That is an industrial pump and has the CFM you want. Completely rebuildable down the road too.

I own a Quincy 325 2 stg with a 3ph 5HP Baldor motor. I used to run the compressor only when I needed to run it. The high side valves rusted from condensate. I cleaned them every 6 months.

Here is a pic of the low pressure side and the high pressure side valves as they looked the last time I removed them. LP on the left.....HP on the right.

Now I let it run 24/7 and this burns away the condensate. I have not had to clean the valves for over a year now, and no leaks yet.
      Leave your machine turned on all the time.
      pg

Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
      Coolmate 3
      MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
      HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
      Victor O/A Rig
      Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
      10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
      Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
      Baldor 10 inch Buffer
      Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
      Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
      Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
      Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
      Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

PG, Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you recommend cleaning the valves prior to start up on this unit? Or wait to see what the performance will be? When you service the valves does it require parts / gasket kit or do you simply disassemble clean reassemble?
        Thanks for your time, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by p1mlb03 View Post
          PG, Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you recommend cleaning the valves prior to start up on this unit? Or wait to see what the performance will be? When you service the valves does it require parts / gasket kit or do you simply disassemble clean reassemble?
          Thanks for your time, Mike
          p1mlb03.........
          Mike, I suggest you first obtain a manual for your machine and in there you will find the instructions for cleaning the valves on your machine. I gave the description of what I have to do with mine, and a Kellogg American may be a bit different. But the manual will explain what and how you do it.

On my Quincy, I remove both top unloaders. There is a certain procedure to do this without breaking a cast iron base (don't ask me how I know this) on the unloader. Only broke one before learning the proper way to do it.

There is a base gasket required for each unloader.
          Under the unloader is the valve. This is the round item in the pic with the 3 studs running through the length of it. Under this is a copper washer that seals the valve to the base. Sometimes it needs a new copper washer(s).

And again, this relates only to a Quincy.
          I would start the machine up after checking the oil level and let it run. If the valves need attention it will evident by air leaking out through the valves. If it does leak down, go into it and have a look. Otherwise just let it run.
          As always........ consult your manual.
          pg
          piniongear
          Last edited by piniongear; 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM.
          Coolmate 3
          MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
          Victor O/A Rig
          Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

I'm in the process of procuring an Air Compressor for general shop use as well as operate a plasma cutter.

Thanks for any advice,
            Mike
            PLASMA cutters do NOT like moisture and or OIL. If you need a big AC then you might want to consider using a an oiless motor for your AC. Unless you have a big Plasma cutter then a typical Sears units will do just fine.

below is a writeup/pics of my setup w/ specs, hope its is of some help...

Plasma Cutter & Air Tools on Same Air Compressor
            Don
            Scottsdale, AZ
            www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
            Hypertherm PowerMax30
            Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
            Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
            Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
            10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
            DeWalt Chop Saw
            Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
            12 Ton Shop Press
            Optrel Satellite Helmet
            Miller Elite Helmet
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
              PLASMA cutters do NOT like moisture and or OIL. If you need a big AC then you might want to consider using a an oiless motor for your AC. Unless you have a big Plasma cutter then a typical Sears units will do just fine.

below is a writeup/pics of my setup w/ specs, hope its is of some help...

Plasma Cutter & Air Tools on Same Air Compressor
              The OP says he wants to get a compressor for his shop and for a plasma machine. So that pretty much eliminates getting a pancake or oilless compressor. Those things don't have enough CFM to pull the hat off your head.

Yes, plasma likes clean dry air and that is done with a good filter system such as this.......

I use a 3 stage dryer/filter. The black container on the end contains a dissicant that I remove from time to time and bake dry in the oven at 300° F for an hour.

If you want clean, dry and oil free air this is the way you do that.
              pg
              Coolmate 3
              MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
              Victor O/A Rig
              Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

Again, thank you for your input... The guy has all the original paperwork including the receipt, so hopefully the service procedures are documented. I asked him if he still had the filter / dryer setup but no luck. I think Im going to go ahead and make a deal on it. Always better to have too much machine rather then not enough This thing is a beast... I will research the filter / dryer setups and see what is available.
                Thank you, mike

Comment

Again, thank you for your input... The guy has all the original paperwork including the receipt, so hopefully the service procedures are documented. I asked him if he still had the filter / dryer setup but no luck. I think Im going to go ahead and make a deal on it. Always better to have too much machine rather then not enough This thing is a beast... I will research the filter / dryer setups and see what is available.
                  Thank you, mike
                  I would certainly get it Mike. As you say, you cannot have too much machine. Double that when it comes to air! 20 CFM @100 psi is great.

My Quincy is rated around 18 CFM @ 100 psi and I have yet to starve it for air......ever.
                  I run a large bead blast cabinet, plasma, rotary air sanders and paint guns and grinders. Never been short of air.

I bought my air filter at HTP Welding and the main reason for this choice was because of the need for painting. But since the plasma likes clean dry air too, it serves both services well.
                  pg
                  Coolmate 3
                  MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                  Victor O/A Rig
                  Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

Yup, 20 cfm is a pretty respectable compressor. I leave mine on 24/7 also, been years since the pressure was off the system.
                    Sberry
                    Last edited by Sberry; 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piniongear View Post
                      The OP says he wants to get a compressor for his shop and for a plasma machine. So that pretty much eliminates getting a pancake or oilless compressor. Those things don't have enough CFM to pull the hat off your head.

Yes, plasma likes clean dry air and that is done with a good filter system such as this.......

I use a 3 stage dryer/filter. The black container on the end contains a dissicant that I remove from time to time and bake dry in the oven at 300° F for an hour.

If you want clean, dry and oil free air this is the way you do that.
                      pg
                      Ill second that an oiless compressor IMO is crap the noise alone is maddening ,an oiless wont come close to the CFM of an oiled compressor like you said a good filter system is all you need.Mike

Comment

Originally posted by piniongear View Post
                        I don't think I made myself clear. It was my suggestion, based upon his needs for plasma to just run it off a oiless unit. Not know parameters I only offered what works for me.

I am just a small one man fab shop and my sears vertical 33 gal works fine for air tool use and my plasma cutter. Certainly I would enjoy an AC that sucks so much air out there would be a hole in the atmosphere above my shop. But I just lack the need for it.

In the final analysis I would suggest that a review of shop procedures, # of personnel, costs, plasma cutting and other air requirements be the drivers in your architecture. That said pinon's comment on you can never have too much air is on the mark and the filter system is a great solution...just make sure someone 'bakes that cake' from time to time, no need to turn a plasma cutter into a power washer...
                        Don
                        Scottsdale, AZ
                        www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                        Hypertherm PowerMax30
                        Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                        Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                        Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                        10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
                        DeWalt Chop Saw
                        Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                        12 Ton Shop Press
                        Optrel Satellite Helmet
                        Miller Elite Helmet
                        sigpic

Comment

Update

Update... I picked up the new to me compressor today. A Kellogg American 335. Looking forward to having enough clean, oil free air in my shop to handle any situation and then some She is a beast, check it out

Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the new compressor!
                            Man, that is a clean one indeed. You did good with that purchase. It will deliver more air for you that you can use.

I suggest getting a manual for it too, unless you already have one. A manual can tell you what is involved in servicing the valves, if needed.
                            pg
                            Coolmate 3
                            MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                            Victor O/A Rig
                            Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

p1mlb03...........
                              I found this. The valves are shown on pg 12 I believe. Hope this helps.
                              http://www.compaircal.com/335.pdf
                              pg
                              Coolmate 3
                              MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                              Victor O/A Rig
                              Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

Working...
                              X