Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting straight with Portaband saw

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cutting straight with Portaband saw

    Ive got a Milwaukee Portaband saw (thanks for the advice). When cutting anything with depth, square tube for instance, I have trouble keeping the cut on the line on both sides of the tube. Ill start out fine but one side will wander off before Im done. Im sure it would work fine if I had the stand but right now Ive been working off the bed of the pickup.

    Am I watching the wrong side of the tube while cutting? Its very difficult to see the mark on the anvil side of the cut.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

  • #2
    Put the backstop at one corner, (90°) of the square tube, look right down on top the next, (upper) 90 and aim for the 3rd 90. That way you can watch two straight lines at the same time as the blade cuts.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

    Comment


    • #3
      In case I didn’t make myself to clear, like so!
      Attached Files
      Caution!
      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

      Comment


      • #4
        portasaw

        Greetings Jesus-nice illustration1 Where do you live?
        Jim
        PHX gringo

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by azmac54 View Post
          Where do you live?
          Last driveway on the left, on Seco Street.
          Caution!
          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

          Comment


          • #6
            Rose Bowl

            Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
            Last driveway on the left, on Seco Street.
            Sounds like Pasadena, Ca

            Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
              Ive got a Milwaukee Portaband saw (thanks for the advice). When cutting anything with depth, square tube for instance, I have trouble keeping the cut on the line on both sides of the tube. Ill start out fine but one side will wander off before Im done. Im sure it would work fine if I had the stand but right now Ive been working off the bed of the pickup.

              Am I watching the wrong side of the tube while cutting? Its very difficult to see the mark on the anvil side of the cut.
              At the risk of sounding like a smart..., five hundred more cuts and this will be easy......

              Griff

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                Sounds like Pasadena



                Dave my balloon is popped! Here I was thinking you are a smart guy, come to find out you’re not the sharpest tool in the shed!

                What part of Sonora don’t you get?
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Drawing-

                  Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                  In case I didn’t make myself to clear, like so!
                  Sonora Iron I do like your drawing! I think in a past life you might have been a drafter!
                  Kevin
                  Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                  Ln25
                  Miller spectrum 625
                  Miller 30a spoolgun
                  Wc115a
                  Lincoln 210mp
                  F550 imt service truck

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh you should see me with a piece of soapstone and a large concrete floor!
                    Or a puff can and a stucco wall!
                    Caution!
                    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Griff, Im trying to avoid the 499 bad cuts. I know if I had a bigger shop with a floor mounted saw it wouldnt be a problem. Ive always had trouble with things like this. Hack saws, sawzalls, circular saws, chain saws, etc. All in all Im REALLY glad I bought this saw.
                      Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

                      Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
                      Miller 180 w/Autoset
                      Old cutting torch on LPG

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        In case I didn’t make myself to clear, like so!
                        I like that idea! Mike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                          Last driveway on the left, on Seco Street.
                          funny!!!!!!!!
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
                            Griff, Im trying to avoid the 499 bad cuts. I know if I had a bigger shop with a floor mounted saw it wouldnt be a problem. Ive always had trouble with things like this. Hack saws, sawzalls, circular saws, chain saws, etc. All in all Im REALLY glad I bought this saw.
                            I understand! Actually, I had the same problem. Getting started straight is important.

                            Griff

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had a lot of trouble making a straight cut with a Porta Band. I've found that if I can get the piece to be cut clamped close to level in the vise, then sight down the back of the blade and lean the saw until I cannot see either side of the blade (only the back edge), then center that blade edge on my mark, I can get a relatively straight cut. The remaining inaccuracy is justification for all those grinders I have laying around....
                              Larry

                              "I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

                              Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
                              Lincoln Weldpac 100
                              Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
                              Miller Spool gun 100
                              Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
                              Victor Super Range II

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X