Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccawgc
    replied
    I would be interested to know on the machines that are acting up, How many ohms between the weld terminals and the case. It should read very high or open. I just fixed a syncrowave 200 That would scratch start, had HF at the points but none at the torch. Found a red stand off insulator that holds the HF coupling transformer had shorted to ground. Right through the middle. Mounting screw to mounting screw. I wounder if something similar is going on with these welders.
    You should be able to Tig weld on a grounded table and have the case of the welder grounded also. In fact this is a recommended set up.
    If the torch terminal is shorted to the case you will not get any HF to the torch.

Leave a comment:

• Burnt hands
    replied
    Hi andyman, Jeebus, Zaemo,

Here are photos of my welding table and Dynasty 350 set-up which may help.

Due to a very tight garage, I have used a set of scaffolding to provide a "second story" of storage above my welding table.

My Dynasty 350 rests on a shelf of angle attached to the "rungs" of the scaffolding.
    This keeps my welding table free for work.

While I have not directly electrically connected the the frame of my Dynasty to the welding table or the scaffold, it seems highly unlikely that a connection has not been made due to my tight conditions.

So I must assume that there is an electrical connection from the frame of my Dynasty to my welding table.

The work terminal of my Dynasty is connected to the weld table.

Before I turned on the Dynasty after installing it in the frame, I used an ohmmeter to check that I did not have any resistance reading from the ground (work) terminal of my Dynasty to it's frame.

I have been tigging and stick welding using this set-up for 2 years with no problems.

Could it be that the Diversions have different internal wiring conditions?

Hope I am not living on borrowed time or have just been very lucky so far.

Last point, my Dynasty does not have the Blue Lightning feature if this is a clue.

Good luck,
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeebus
    replied
    To keep a running tally of those with issues... I will add myself to this list.

I've had the exact same problems as described here. Now I use mine as a hobby so it doesn't get tons of use but I have had this happen to me a few times.

I will now take note of welder touching the grounding point (as I wouldn't have in the past). If it happens again I will report back.

Leave a comment:

• Zaemo
    replied
    165 arc problem

I had the same problem. I had intermittent problems with the arc, like the others mentioned here. Built a weld table with a cage for the machine. TIG doesn't work. Took it to service guys and had no problem. Finally worked out that the machine was touching the table. I isolated the machine and boom, no more problems. TIGS like a champ.
    I followed up with the service tech, to let him know I wasn't nuts, and he was still confused as to why the machine would do that.
    Hope this helps someone else.

Z

Leave a comment:

• piper
    replied
    bump

Leave a comment:

• kear
    replied
    HF issues

Originally posted by b00stcreep21 View Post
    I've been havin the same exact issues as you guys as well. You get the blue output light that comes on, gas flows, but there's no HF or current at all (even to scratch start). If you reboot the machine and try it again, you will get the little blue HF arc for about a half a second, then it just craps out and starts all over again. NOW, if you reboot it, you'll be able to scratch start it everytime, but the first time you try and HF start it again, it just craps out.
    So far, I've brought my machine in, and let them have it for over a week trying to make the problem re-occur with no results, elevated the machine off the floor, and made sure it has very good airflow around it, and even changed out the HF board. After I changed out the board, the problem was gone for about 2 months. But I came in to work today, and guess what? It's back again...
    Hopefully we can get this figured out, cause I'm about to throw this thing out the window
    I am having all the same issues as the rest of you.Scratch start is the only thing that works .Miller sent me to a repair shop and they claimed it was a voltage issue.Soon as it quit the second time I checked voltage and it was within millers spec,s.This site is great lot,s of good info and ideas.

Leave a comment:

• dedsled
    replied
    mine was touching the bench metal to metal. I moved it last night and no problem now.

Leave a comment:

• andyman
    replied
    Mine wasn't sitting or connected to my workbench in any way other then the ground when it happened to me

Leave a comment:

• b00stcreep21
    replied
    Yes it has the rubber feet, but my welder cage is made of angle iron and touches the sides. Dunno how yours is set up, but it's still worth a try to move it around and see what happens

Leave a comment:

• chewinggum
    replied
    But isn't the welder sitting on rubber feet cushions. How does it make contact with the bench?
    John

Leave a comment:

• dedsled
    replied
    Thats got to be the problem. Mine never had a problem with HF until I moved the welder onto a shelf connected to the bench. Now no HF! I'm gonna move it tonight and see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• b00stcreep21
    replied
    Update:
    I've figured out the problem with my particular machine. If the machine makes and sort of contact with whatever my ground cable is attached to, this problem will occur. As soon as I move the welder from the grounded piece, the issue is gone. In my case, my welder actually sits on a frame that's attached to my welding bench. Move the welder from the welding bench, problem solved.
    Now, I don't know if this is an actual problem or not, I'll have to give miller a call on monday, but as far as I know, the grounding circuit should be completely separate from the welder case. I'd suggest other people that are having this issue to try it out and see if this solution holds true for everyone else, or if everyone just seems to be having other random problems. Hope this is helpful!

Leave a comment:

• b00stcreep21
    replied
    One other thing I've noticed is that when this problem happens, or is starting to happen, there is also a faint high pitched noise that isn't there normally that you can hear when you strike up an arc. I can't tell if it's coming from the arc itself, or the machine though
    One other thing too, I've tried the machine plugged in to 3 different outlets around the shop, that are on different breakers even, with no change
    Last edited by b00stcreep21; 11-23-2009, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• b00stcreep21
    replied
    I've been havin the same exact issues as you guys as well. You get the blue output light that comes on, gas flows, but there's no HF or current at all (even to scratch start). If you reboot the machine and try it again, you will get the little blue HF arc for about a half a second, then it just craps out and starts all over again. NOW, if you reboot it, you'll be able to scratch start it everytime, but the first time you try and HF start it again, it just craps out.
    So far, I've brought my machine in, and let them have it for over a week trying to make the problem re-occur with no results, elevated the machine off the floor, and made sure it has very good airflow around it, and even changed out the HF board. After I changed out the board, the problem was gone for about 2 months. But I came in to work today, and guess what? It's back again...
    Hopefully we can get this figured out, cause I'm about to throw this thing out the window

Leave a comment:

• andyman
    replied
    I tried all that when i was having the problem. also you get HF with no ground where as the problem i had i would get neither an arc nor HF.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X