No announcement yet.

Diversion problem AGAIN >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Diversion does the same thing occasionally. A "reboot" makes it ok again.
    It doesn't do it a lot, so I'm living with it. I hope it either goes away or fails completely so I can get it fixed. Its too erratic now to take to the repair shop.
    John
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

This is why Miller decided to call it a "Diversion". All the problems you are having "diverts" your time from completing your task.

Comment

lol pretty funny arcangel
        Dynasty 200DX
        MillerMatic 211
        Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

More of the same

Hello all,
          I'm having the same intermittent, non-start problem with our new Diversion. When one person has a problem with a machine that is one thing. BUT when many many have the exact problem then it starts to sound like a design flaw. This is sad because i really like the unit performs otherwise. We modified it to work with a small Coolmate chiller added a foots witch and a small weldcraft torch. SWEET! except for this maddening "no start" issue.
          Come on Blue get on this and find a fix!

Comment

A very small bump.

piper

Comment

I may upgrade to a TA185. just a thought I'd share
              Dynasty 200DX
              MillerMatic 211
              Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

I had this problem too.

Turns out it was my cart I recently built that was causing the problem - it placed the Diversion in between the plasma cutter and the MIG welder. Apparently it doesnt like being confined or sandwhiched between two pieces of sheet metal (the casing of the MIG and the plasma). So now when I use the Diversion, I pull it forward so that its in front of the plasma cutter and the MIG and it works just fine.

Comment

probably poor air flow to the unit was your problem
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  MillerMatic 211
                  Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

That could be true but this would happen at the beginning of the day (cold start).

Comment

Originally posted by andyman View Post
                      cant get my diversion to start an arc again just like a few months again. Last time i put in a new outlet and it worked just fine so me and my buddy figured it was the old wiring. started to weld some steel today and after 2 tacs and about a inch bead i couldn't get the **** thing to start another arc. even let it sit for about 3 hrs and still not. i welded AL before this with no problem actually both time it crapped out on me when doing DC. can there be something wrong so that i only have this problem on DC??? or mabe i need to get some wiring updated in the house?

Andy
                      When you said your arc crapped out, you meant your output just goes out right? does the blue output light stays on? and based on you what you mentioned about the fan turning on even when there is no output, I'm thinking you need to get your machine serviced. Tell the service guy that the secondary commutator board is acting funny and not giving you output. That's my take on your the problem. Hopefully it helps.

Comment

infin8,

i was still getting the blue light indicating output. I took the machine in the first time i had the probably the tech found nothing wrong with it. then it work for awhile then it did it again and now it works fine again. if i do have the probably i sure will try that though
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        MillerMatic 211
                        Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

I think upgrading is the best idea yet.
                          Nothing worse than stopping a project to work on the tools to make it

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

i'm working my way towards a TA185. i like the idea of all the fancy tig options and stick welding for just like roughly $1000 more. i'd get a D200DX but thats just outa my budget.
                            Last edited by andyman; 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM.
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            MillerMatic 211
                            Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Originally posted by piper View Post
                              Andyman........ mine would do the same once in a while, hitting the switch off and on, it fired back up (Miller service is it a problem in the making?) Still waiting to here results if the Diversion will run off a Bluestar DX185 (John) St Jacobs weld shop.

Have a good day

Jim
                              Jim,
                              Per the literature off the Miller website, the Diversion 165 requires 3.9 KW with 23 amps 230 V input. Your Bluestar 185 DX outputs 6000 Watts peak, 5500 continuous and outputs 23 amps at 240 volts. Should run it no problem, the power matchup is slightly in favor of the Bluestar.
                              Hope this helps.

Comment

Just a thought, but have you checked your ground connection to the work piece? If you forget to connect it, of course an arc will not start, but a poor ground (oxidation / paint / corrosion) can also cause problems or erratic arcs. Sometimes with aluminum I will wire brush where I am putting my ground clamp, just to make sure I have the best possible contact.
                                Diversion 165
                                Lincoln SP175T
                                Ryobi Drill Press
                                No Name Portable band and chop saws
                                '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

Comment

Working...
                                X