Diversion problem AGAIN >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion problem AGAIN >=(

cant get my diversion to start an arc again just like a few months again. Last time i put in a new outlet and it worked just fine so me and my buddy figured it was the old wiring. started to weld some steel today and after 2 tacs and about a inch bead i couldn't get the **** thing to start another arc. even let it sit for about 3 hrs and still not. i welded AL before this with no problem actually both time it crapped out on me when doing DC. can there be something wrong so that i only have this problem on DC??? or mabe i need to get some wiring updated in the house?

Andy
    Last edited by andyman; 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    MillerMatic 211
    Hypertherm Max 42

Take it to a Miller authorized service center and have it checked out.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Comment

i did that last time only to waste $10 in tolls plus gas. For the dang thing to weld just fine for the tech. i'm gonna drag it over to my buddys house to try it out tonight in an hour or so.

if it works im guessing its the power at my house but can i just call an electrician to figure it out?
      Dynasty 200DX
      MillerMatic 211
      Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

well....

Have you probed the outlet with a voltmeter to check for proper voltage? Do you have any issues in the house with other applicances such as an electric dryer, or an electric stove??
        Kevin
        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
        Ln25
        Miller spectrum 625
        Miller 30a spoolgun
        Wc115a
        Lincoln 210mp
        F550 imt service truck

Comment

i got 247 when i check today and the last time this happened i was getting correct voltage no problems with stuff in the in the house.
          Dynasty 200DX
          MillerMatic 211
          Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Originally posted by andyman View Post
            cant get my diversion to start an arc again just like a few months again. Last time i put in a new outlet and it worked just fine so me and my buddy figured it was the old wiring. started to weld some steel today and after 2 tacs and about a inch bead i couldn't get the **** thing to start another arc. even let it sit for about 3 hrs and still not. i welded AL before this with no problem actually both time it crapped out on me when doing DC. can there be something wrong so that i only have this problem on DC??? or mabe i need to get some wiring updated in the house?

Andy
            Hello Andy, sorry to hear about the problems you are having with this unit. When the unit will not strike an arc for you does it still get sheilding gas out of the torch ?
            Kirk Kopitzke
            Service Technician
            Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Andy,
              dumb question, have you tried touching the tungsten to the work and lifting it before initiating the arc? Depending on the tungsten type and ambient conditions, that little bit of oxidation on the surface of the tungsten can interfere with starting, that little "tap" scrubs the oxides off.
              "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
              Miller Dynasty 200DX
              Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
              Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
              Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

miller servicedude,

I was getting gas flow from the torch.

Aerometalworker,

I did try lift/scratch start.

Also i went to my LWS the other day and tried my welder there worked fine. The guy told me to check my connections at home for loose connections and i did so i checked my small extension cord it was fine i check my outlet there was a semi loose screw but still had the wire in there pretty firm so i tightened it up i checked the connections in the breaker box no problems there. i figured **** i'll try my welder and it magically worked. i'm not complaining though i got my welder back

still makes me wonder if its the welder or the house.

Andy
                Dynasty 200DX
                MillerMatic 211
                Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Why would you think it's the welder if it always works at other locations.

DUH???
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

maybe the welder doesn't like my house???
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    MillerMatic 211
                    Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Originally posted by andyman View Post
                      maybe the welder doesn't like my house???
                      Andy, I can relate, I had a Neon with bad karma (7 hits in five years), and my (British) Triumph kept trying to reject the Mikuni (Japanese) fuel petcocks. Sometimes its hard to explain these things.

However, if you have gone and checked everything out, it sounds to me like there may have been some loose connections that might have been affected by the current and resulting heat from using your welder. Now that you have tightened them, it should be okay. A silly question, but is any of the wiring aluminum? Especially if you have aluminum to copper, it is prone to working loose due to thermal cycles.
                      Diversion 165
                      Lincoln SP175T
                      Ryobi Drill Press
                      No Name Portable band and chop saws
                      '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

Comment

If you think it might be the house wiring, the only way to check is under load. If there is no load, the voltage will be the source voltage, even if there is a bad connection, bad wire (rodent chewed, abraded, etc) or a bad breaker.

When checking to identify where the problem is, you should use care, and if you don;t have experience with diagnosing/testing power systems, get assistance from someone that does, as there is potential for injury or property damage if you make a mistake.

Again, if proper precautions are not followed, there is a significant risk of shock, arcflash, or fire.

That said:

The place to start is at the power lugs in the machine. If the problem recurs, open the access for the power lugs (with the power disconnected at the source -- pull the plug) and clip on the voltmeter leads. If the meter is an autorange type, lock the range after reapplying power.

Have someone watch the meter while you strike off. If the voltage drops more than a few percent (maybe 5V on a 240 circuit), you have a supply problem.

In this case, you need to find the problem(s). Set the meter up at the terminals of the outlet where the supply attaches (requires opening it up). No drop: probably the outlet itself not making good contact with the stabs of the plug (the blades). Not uncommon on older outlet for the terminals to lose springiness, and even new ones may not make good contact.

If the problem still shows, move to the panel. No problem? It is in the wiring between the panel and outlet (bad connection in a junction box, bad connection at the outlet, etc). Still a problem? check the main connection. No prob, it is the breaker (probably) Still a problem, it could be the main lead connections at the panel, at the meter pan, or evel at the weatherhead (or elsewhere on the power co side)

About a month ago, the power co reconnected a neighbor. He had major light flicker when the refrigerator came on, and his computer would reset, his cable would go out, etc. Corroded connections at the weatherhead. The neutral from the pole was floating, and he had an effective ground fault. In the end, the cable co replaced the cable and hardware from the pole to the interface box.... The shield (ground) had burned due to the fault currents.

Comment

I have great wiring in my house *sarcasm*

the outlet i moved off of was a mix of AL and copper wiring not to mention i have a federal pacific breaker box. the outlet i'm currently running on now is right below the breaker box in the garage. the breaker is new and so is the outlet and im running copper wire. but maybe it was that one connection that was a little loose at the outlet. I guess i just gotta wait and see if it happens again.

it is crazy tho when i was getting no arc or high frequency if i let the machine run while having no arc the fan will come on as if its welding and needs the fan.

Andy
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          MillerMatic 211
                          Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

diversion

Andyman........ mine would do the same once in a while, hitting the switch off and on, it fired back up (Miller service is it a problem in the making?) Still waiting to here results if the Diversion will run off a Bluestar DX185 (John) St Jacobs weld shop.

Have a good day

Jim

Comment

ya but mine didn't work again by turning it off then on that was the big problem.
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              MillerMatic 211
                              Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Working...
                              X