Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all I can do to not misspell too many words in a sentance

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
      It's all I can do to not misspell too many words in a sentance

JTMcC.
      lol. The missus could make a good editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
        If that were true, GM would be profitable.

There is a serious disconnect between the vision of HR and reality. Truth is most places don't know their employees enough to know who is productive, who is lazy, who is stealing, etc.
        GM can't lay off the laziest employees due to the UAW, they protect the lazy workers. The UAW and poor management is what ruined GM.
        The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Lazy ??

Originally posted by LWSGUY View Post
          GM can't lay off the laziest employees due to the UAW, they protect the lazy workers. The UAW and poor management is what ruined GM.
          Hello; Many years ago I worked on an auto assembly line ( Ford Canada ) It's near Impossible to be Lazy on an Assembly line !! We were doing One car every 55 seconds, Ten hrs. a day & night !

.............. Norm :
          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, thats amazing not one lazy worker in the entire Ford UAW. You'll have to excuse me for not believing that.

I'm sure you work hard, but your going to tell me there weren't any slackers who should have been fired had it not been for the UNION.
            The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Its been awhile since I've been on.. but now that im laid off again,, I checked out the miller site again,, and read this post..lol .. I have scoured the papers,internet, unemployment services, friend networking, cold calls, and plain straight walk ins looking for anything that will be a start.. I found one guy who said he would pay me minium wage to stick weld trailer axles back together.. no thanks, my unemployment will pay me more than that.. is that being a slacker or lazy?? I look at that as knowing what it takes to feed the family! I have worked in two factories in the last 10 years, I like to look at myself as one of their better employees,, was never late, never missed and ALWAYS did my job and did it well, always got compliments from supervisors. And when it came time to layoff, guess what,, the union had their way and the junior people went out the door, shortly after the companies closed the doors completly.. both of them.. I see two huge problems in this country that are being ignored..1) nafta has got to go.. this country was built on our manufacturing and we are watching it leave us everyday,, factory after factory, and the government is doing NOTHING about it. 2) UNIONS,, need to be restructured(not abolished) but need to get rid of the dead weight that brings these factories down, we all see them(but im sure none of us are them) the people that complain, file stupid irrelevant grievances, miss work non stop,, these are the cancer in the unions.. I still believe unions can be good for us but they need to clean up some trash.. Just a rant that im sure i will recieve some heat over..

Comment

Wow, thats amazing not one lazy worker in the entire Ford UAW. You'll have to excuse me for not believing that.

I'm sure you work hard, but your going to tell me there weren't any slackers who should have been fired had it not been for the UNION.
                It's called SENIORITY. All companies have a probation period, and those workers that do not meet the criteria are dismissed, without reservation.

Companies also have progressive disciplinary policies that are followed when deemed necessary.

I've been on the Executive Board of the United Steel Workers (then O.C.A.W. Local 3-689 Piketon, Ohio) and am a 20+ year member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Locals 83 & 104, Phoenix, Az.

Your statements are arbitrary, and based on "opinion," as you obviously have never worked Union. If you had, you would have most assuredly understood their purpose, and defended them, rather than denounce them.

Regarding the UAW, and the auto industry, do you realize how much Government intervention has escalated the costs of manufacturing and production? These costs are passed onto every consumer.

From emmission standards to disposal fees to windshield size to light and lamp size to everything imaginable on your vehicle.

Compare a 1969 Ford Mustang to a 2009 Ford Mustang.

Those of you who are non-Union, be thankful there are Labor Unions, or you wouldn't be making what you are. The price of consumer goods are no cheaper at non-Union retailers (WalMart for instance) than they are at Safeway or Krogers.

45 years ago, 80% of motor frieght was transported by the Teamsters. Since deregulation, 80% of commerce is transported by non-Union carriers. Is anything any cheaper? No.

The housing boom in the 90's in Arizona were primarily built by non-Union labor. Were these houses any cheaper? No.

The profits are enjoyed by the proprietors of the business, and not the employees.

When I'm collecting my FULL Teamster's Pension, I'll think of you.

Fraternally Yours,

David E Darragh
                Teamsters Local 104
                Phoenix, Az.
                "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

No unions here in SC, but what the others said about keeping the one's in the buddy system is spot on.

My girlfriend got laid off. She started collage with government assistance and scholarships she got from outstanding grades in high school. She draws her unemployment now also. Well she went to the employment office to re apply. They told her if an 8 dollar an hour job became available she would have to drop out of school and take it, if not her unemployment would be cut off and of course its cut off if she does.

At 42 she has paid into the system way more than any benefits she will ever receive. To tell her to drop out of collage for 8 bucks an hour was a real slap in the face. I could see it if her grades were bad and she was just using the system but she gets home around noon and stays in the books till 10pm everyday and has great grades in a RN program.

Sure the government wants people to go back to work but in cases like this, its sorry as [email protected]!!.

For those looking for work. There is some help with searching. Its called google alerts. Its free, just create a google account and set the search alerts for what your looking for. Go have a look on how. It uses keywords and when anything is put on google, you get an email with a link. It can be used for craigslist areas and other places. I like using it for welding articles. I think it’s a good service.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                    It's called SENIORITY. All companies have a probation period, and those workers that do not meet the criteria are dismissed, without reservation.

Companies also have progressive disciplinary policies that are followed when deemed necessary.

I've been on the Executive Board of the United Steel Workers (then O.C.A.W. Local 3-689 Piketon, Ohio) and am a 20+ year member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Locals 83 & 104, Phoenix, Az.

Your statements are arbitrary, and based on "opinion," as you obviously have never worked Union. If you had, you would have most assuredly understood their purpose, and defended them, rather than denounce them.

Regarding the UAW, and the auto industry, do you realize how much Government intervention has escalated the costs of manufacturing and production? These costs are passed onto every consumer.

From emmission standards to disposal fees to windshield size to light and lamp size to everything imaginable on your vehicle.

Compare a 1969 Ford Mustang to a 2009 Ford Mustang.

Those of you who are non-Union, be thankful there are Labor Unions, or you wouldn't be making what you are. The price of consumer goods are no cheaper at non-Union retailers (WalMart for instance) than they are at Safeway or Krogers.

45 years ago, 80% of motor frieght was transported by the Teamsters. Since deregulation, 80% of commerce is transported by non-Union carriers. Is anything any cheaper? No.

The housing boom in the 90's in Arizona were primarily built by non-Union labor. Were these houses any cheaper? No.

The profits are enjoyed by the proprietors of the business, and not the employees.

When I'm collecting my FULL Teamster's Pension, I'll think of you.

Fraternally Yours,

David E Darragh
                    Teamsters Local 104
                    Phoenix, Az.

Very well said.

Comment

I have worked out of several building trade’s unions, from a full fledge member to on a few occasions as a permit hand. I have never seen anything that remotely resembles seniority, or a probation period! The biggest problem in the building trades today is getting enough hands who can pass a drug test, no not the written one! Sure there is politics, but tell me one place that there is not? That is just life, learn to deal with it, or it will eat you up!
                      Caution!
                      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Hello; There are Slackers in any company , Trade Union, or any Business for that matter !
                        Union or Non- Union !!
                        U.A.W. then C.A.W. ... Now, Just for Carification !

............. Norm :
                        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Seniority & Substance Abuse

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                          I have worked out of several building trade’s unions, from a full fledge member to on a few occasions as a permit hand. I have never seen anything that remotely resembles seniority, or a probation period! The biggest problem in the building trades today is getting enough hands who can pass a drug test, no not the written one! Sure there is politics, but tell me one place that there is not? That is just life, learn to deal with it, or it will eat you up!
                          George: If there was no language regarding Seniority, (or a call list) or probation period, that's a decision (or lack there of) or issue the Union and Employer(s), never addressed in contract negotiations.

It behooves the Employer(s)/Employee(s) to have a distinct dichotomy regarding the fair and equitable assignment of work, and/or gaurantee(s).

I have no sympathy or tolerance for anyone who chooses substance abuse over gainful employment, regardless of Union status.

Yes, there are politics in every "walk" of life. It's more than abundant.

Those "unlearned" regarding the history of Labor Unions, need only look at the Industrial health and safety issues resolved through the steadfast sacrifices of early organizers and the perseverance of those of us today.

Dave

Comment

hey dave,, was just wondering,, were you a USW worker for the mead company in chillicothe?
                            Last edited by yogi09; 10-27-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

"A-Plant"

Originally posted by yogi09 View Post
                              hey dave,, was just wondering,, were you a USW worker for the mead company in chillicothe?
                              Yogi: I worked at the Portsmouth area Gaseous Diffusion Plant back in the '70's. It was then managed by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company under contract with the Department of Energy. The Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers Union (OCAW) Local 3-689 represented us then, and eventually merged with P.A.C.E (Petrolium, Aliied Chemical, Energy Employees) and subsequently the United Steel Workers. The Local is still on Wakefield Rd, south of the "A-Plant."

My ex-brother-in-law was and is primarily responsible for the "WHPP" (Workers Health Protection Program) in partnership with Queens College, CUNY, USW, Atomic Trades and Labor Council, and the Fernald Medical Screening Program.

He labored tirelessly with the International Union and lobbied US Senators and Congressmen from Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee providing the funding from the Department of Labor and Department of Energy for cancer/medical screenings for those of us who worked at the Gaseous Diffusion Plants at Portsmouth, Paducah, and Oak Ridge as well as the Mound (Miamisburg) and Fernald feed plant facilities.

These benefits (to the best of my knowledge) were to be extended to the Idaho Falls National Lab, Lawrence/Livermore (Ca.) & Sandia National Labs (Albuquerque), Nevada Test Site (Jack *** Flats) and White Sands, NM. workers.

The International "fought City Hall," (The Federal Government) and won.

These are some of the "Real World" benefits of working Union.

Dave
                              Last edited by davedarragh; 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

wow.. small world that two guys from same area meet on a welding site.. I live in chillicothe and suppose to have an interview coming up with honeywell, who is in the A-plant.. I totally back unions(no matter how my post comes across) I just know that sometimes it has to be hard to represent some people who dont cherish their jobs like they should.. I am also trying the local piketon boilermakers, so I know the value of the union and the brotherhood,, and thank you for all the work you and your brother in law have put into it..

Comment

Working...
                                X