Gas lens pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas lens pictures?

I remember someone posting some pictures awhile back demonstrating what a gas lens does. They showed the difference between the flow from a standard nozzle and a gas lens. Really clear visual of what a gas lens really does.

Anyway, I have been wanting to show them to my supervisor, since he doesn't really understand what a gas lens is for. I have been wanting him to get them for the shop, and he doesn't want to. (I have just been using my own for now.)

I have been searching the forum, but I just cant find these pics. Would whoever posted them please be kind enough to post them again, or direct me to them? Thanks much!

-mjc

http://www.ckworldwide.com/gas_saver.htm

Comment

Here is an Article on the Gas lens

http://www.thefabricator.com/arcweld...le.cfm?ID=1531
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I had to bookmark that one. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Gas lense vs regular cup.
          Attached Files
          Miller Dialarc 250
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
          Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
          Miller Bobcat 225

Comment

Cool gas lense!

On these,you can use either the Pyrex or the Alumina cups,CK's gas saver kits,Frank

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_saver1_web[1].gif
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	505332

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLEAR_CUP[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	505333
            Millermatic 252
            Millermatic 180
            Dynasty 200DX
            Hobart spoolmate 3035
            Digital Elite

Comment

These give the best example IMO...

Dynasty 200 DX runner
              Sync 350 LX
              XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
              Hobart 135
              ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Your boss is most concerned about the bottom line because he knows you don't make money buying stuff you can live without.

Tell him that this "thing" allows you to turn back the gas flow 20%.

With a typical flow rate of, say 20CFH, you'd save 4CFH per hour of arc time. Assume this jumps to about 5CFH per hour of arc time when you figure pre and post flow.

At $70 per 330CF of argon, each CF costs 21.2 cents. So you'd save about $1.06 per hour of arc time.

Also you'd go from 16.5 hours of flow time at 20CFH to 20.6 hours of flow time at 16CFH. You'd get over 4 more hours per tank.

It will save over $21.21 of gas per 5 day workweek.

If you spend $30 on a large gas lens and you average 4 hours of arc time per day, it will pay for itself over and over every 7 workdays.

And if you treat it right and it lasts a year, it will save the company $1,060 in argon alone in a typical 50 workweek year.

The lower gas usage means fewer tank change outs. 15 fewer per year. If it takes 10 minutes to change out a tank, this saves 150 minutes or 2.5 man hours per year. After workers comp and taxes etc this is probably about $50.

So to summarize:
                Buy a variety of gas lenses.
                Save $1,060 in argon.
                Save $50 in labor.

And this in not even counting savings in labor and materials due to the higher weld quality.

With that, your boss should OK you to get a small variety. But be prepared to show why it saves gas... then, show him the comparison pictures.

You have just closed the deal. Simple arithmetic.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I use 10 cfh on the small nozzles and it does a nice job.

they are 3.75 to 4 dollars at weldingdepot.com. I bought most of my consumables from them.

I used them exclusively after I was introduced to them.
                  mike sr

Comment

I like the large nozzles because I can wrap my fingers around the nozzle and have superior control... get in closer with better support from my hand.

And they take the shielding a step better. There's so little turbulence that I can't even hear the gas come out when it's right up to my ear... but I can feel it and see it on the flowmeter, so I know it's there.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Hmmmm, I must look into these!!! I've heard the term before but never knew exactly what a gas lens was until this thread.
                      Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                      Miller 340A/BP
                      Victor O/A torches
                      Lincoln SP125
                      Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                      78 GS1000
                      82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Another gas lens user here, I started with a gas lens right from the start, I only use the regular nozzles when I can not get into a spot with the gas lens.

-Dan
                        Owner
                        DW Metalworks LLC
                        Miller Trailblazer 302
                        Miller 8RC Feeder
                        Miller Passport Plus
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
                        Hobart Handler 135
                        Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
                        Smith O/A Torch Set
                        Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

I too bought gas lenses from the start because of what I'd read on this forum and others. I use about 11 cfh for most welds and have never had an issue with coverage.
                          Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
                          Miller S-22A wirefeeder
                          Bernard 400A "Q" gun
                          Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
                          CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
                          Hypertherm Powermax 30
                          O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                            Your boss is most concerned about the bottom line because he knows you don't make money buying stuff you can live without.

Tell him that this "thing" allows you to turn back the gas flow 20%.

With a typical flow rate of, say 20CFH, you'd save 4CFH per hour of arc time. Assume this jumps to about 5CFH per hour of arc time when you figure pre and post flow.

At $70 per 330CF of argon, each CF costs 21.2 cents. So you'd save about $1.06 per hour of arc time.

Also you'd go from 16.5 hours of flow time at 20CFH to 20.6 hours of flow time at 16CFH. You'd get over 4 more hours per tank.

It will save over $21.21 of gas per 5 day workweek.

If you spend $30 on a large gas lens and you average 4 hours of arc time per day, it will pay for itself over and over every 7 workdays.

And if you treat it right and it lasts a year, it will save the company $1,060 in argon alone in a typical 50 workweek year.

The lower gas usage means fewer tank change outs. 15 fewer per year. If it takes 10 minutes to change out a tank, this saves 150 minutes or 2.5 man hours per year. After workers comp and taxes etc this is probably about $50.

So to summarize:
                            Buy a variety of gas lenses.
                            Save $1,060 in argon.
                            Save $50 in labor.

And this in not even counting savings in labor and materials due to the higher weld quality.

With that, your boss should OK you to get a small variety. But be prepared to show why it saves gas... then, show him the comparison pictures.

You have just closed the deal. Simple arithmetic.
                            AWSOME.......... between you and Ed C........
                            I'm not late...
                            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Thanks for the helpful replies! Those were the pictures I was looking for, and some other good ones too. Thanks to Bodybagger for the informative post about cost saving. Quite helpful and interesting. Thanks again!

-mjc

Comment

Working...
                              X