Not welding but Important if You have Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not welding but Important if You have Kids

NO matter how upset you may be with you kids, NEVER NEVER let it get to you. My daughter is almost 17 and has an attitude bigger then the world. So many times I have wanted to be really mad at her and now I am so glad I just let it go.

Guys I got a bad bad phone call about 5 30 last night. My daughter was in a crash with a large concrete bridge encroachment. They didn't have to call the Helicopter but they did take her to the trauma center.

All is good now and for some unknown reason she only has a few stitches and two fractures in here cheek. She should go home tomorrow.

If things had went different I could have lost my only daughter last night.

Here is 2 pics of her truck. A late 80's S-10

Right now she cant remember what caused the crash, not that it really matters so long as she is OK. She was the only one in the truck and the only car involved.

I know not everyone believes in god but the way I see it, someone was looking out for her.

Attached Files

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Too close for comfort!

That is really scary.Thank God she'll be ok.Best of luck and speedy recovery.Life can be a game of inches.This was a rough game and,luky,she won,considering the state of the truck.Again,best wishes,Frank
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-13-2009, 08:40 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Comment

Ouch, sorry you, and she had to deal with this, I hope she fully recovers with no problems.

I had a similar one when I was 18, my dad thought I was just in a fender bender after talking with him on the phone, till he stopped at the hospital then went to take some pics of the car.

Heres what he found:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...iversfront.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f.../rightrear.jpg

Comment

I'm glad all's well.
        (welding content here) I was making a tie in weld on the K-M fuel pipeline (El Paso to Tucson) in the vicinity of Benson, AZ in '07 and when I got back in my truck I had 7 missed calls from my Wife/Chic. I told my helper that this couldn't be good. My oldest had endo'd his truck multiple times in rural N. AZ. and was being airlifted from KRMC to the neurological institute at Sunrise in Las Vegas with 10 broken vetabrae.
        As an aside, the helicopter trip from Kingman to L.V. runs about $21,000
        Turned out the fractures were all "stable" and he ended up only needing a custom brace for several months. Good as new now.
        Whew!
        Driving is the most dangerous thing a kid does.

JTMcC
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
          Ouch, sorry you, and she had to deal with this, I hope she fully recovers with no problems.

I had a similar one when I was 18, my dad thought I was just in a fender bender after talking with him on the phone, till he stopped at the hospital then went to take some pics of the car.

Heres what he found:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...iversfront.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f.../rightrear.jpg
          Well. the fender is bent!

Tom, Glad your daughter was lucky enough to survive such a scary incident. There definitely were angels watching out for her. Hoping she has a complete and speedy recovery. Think you can weld the truck back together?
          Miller Syncrowave 200
          Homemade Water Cooler
          130XP MIG
          Spectrum 375
          60 year old Logan Lathe
          Select Machine and Tool Mill
          More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

I can't say thank you enough guys. Its a bad deal when a person is in a divorce situation but we all deal. I don't see my daughter often, but when I looked at the pics again this morning it really made me stop and think. It just took awhile to sink in and realize just how lucky she is.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
            Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
            Clarke 180 EN Just in case
            Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
            O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
            Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
            4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
            Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
            Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
            I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
            http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Wow Tom, and thank God for sure! That is absolutely the scariest attitude adjustment I've ever seen. I've got a 17 yr old daughter and her boyfriend likes to feel the wind thru his hair a little more than others and those pics just give me the shivers. Certainly glad she is recovering well. Bob.

Comment

Tom, wow, that's a miracle she got away with so few injuries. Going by the pics, it's very fortunate she didn't have a passenger cause it looks like there would have been a fatality on that side of the truck. Certainly glad your daughter is doing relatively ok considering the circumstances!
                Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                Millermatic175
                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                HTP MIG200
                PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                Purox oxy/ace
                Jackson EQC
                -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                -LoadNGo utility bed
                -Bobcat 250NT
                -PassportPlus/Q300
                -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                -Smith oxy/propane
                -Jackson EQC

Comment

I have responded to many an accident and have seen the full range of walking away without a scratch (somehow the ones that do this are always drunk) to getting burned alive while trapped.

Now, I drive the same way I act around a strange pit bull.

...like it could turn on me in a second without the slightest provocation.

I always try to tell my wife to drive ready to execute any maneuver instantly and drive in a manner that leaves you room and reaction time to execute evasive or corrective maneuvers.

Does she listen to me? Absolutely not.

In flying, there is this concept called the "sterile cockpit." At times that require your concentration, such as takeoffs, landings, executing ATC instructions... you should eliminate all distractions. The same should be true in driving. I have seen so many people injured in single vehicle accidents and most of the time it was the radio. But that was before every teenager had a cell phone... In the 2 seconds it takes to look away and accomplish a task that requires you to focus at close range, you have moved 200 feet at highway speeds. Even a stationary object that was outside of your field of vision (especially at night since your headlights cannot illuminate that far) can be hit within that time frame.

Two things that are certain are:

1: Your daughter didn't purposely drive into this thing... She either lost control or lost situational awareness if only for a second or two.

2: Given this type of accident, your daughter has basically cheated death. Every day from now on should be seen as a gift.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Glad she's doing well, always hate to see these with kids. or anybody else for that matter but kids always seem to get our attention..Good luck!!
                    Scott
                    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Glad your daughter's OK.

Frank

Comment

That is a very scary scene for sure. I am glad she is ok.
                        It doesn't take much of that sort of incidents to make you begin to think about God for sure. I know I DO
                        Tom I hope she recovers quickly.
                        BTW... this is one reason why I cannot believe some of the fancy cars I see kids driving up at the school. My first 2 boys messed up theirs and I now have a 15 1/2 yr old driving on a permit. He is not into cars one bit and scares me more than the other two put together. The older boys wrecked dirt bikes and 4 wheelers etc. but this kid is just not really into wheels much.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Glad She's Okay

Tom: Glad she is going to be okay. Thanks for the PM earlier this summer.
                          Had a Pastor preach a sermon on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Wrath" one time, how true, we just never know when something may befall our loved ones.

I log about 100K miles a year. 350-500 mile trips every night. Talk about the "Real World," I've seen some doozies.

I'm glad she's going to be okay.

JTMcC: Glad your son is going to be okay, those are very frightening experiences.
                          I watched you guys work on that line down by Benson back in '07.

Trust me on this one: "SEAT BELTS, SAVE LIVES"

Well, I've got some aluminum scraps to practice on, before I forget how

Dave
                          Last edited by davedarragh; 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM.
                          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

thank god is right

i am very glad that your daughter had her guardian angle with her, god bless her, i have 4 children, all grown now, and i hate it when the phone rings, as im sure all of us dads do, we all worry, thank the lord she is ok, good luck to you and your family. kevin

Comment

Holy Sheite!

Glad all is OK.
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender