First thing you ever welded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
    What do you remember about the first thing you ever welded?

For some on this forum, that might have been yesterday. For others, Thomas Edison might have been involved.

Do you remember any specifics about it?

I was 12 and it was with my grandfather. I specifically remember that the rods said 6013 and I had no idea what that meant, but I was aware that it was probably important. It went something like this:
    Mine pre-dates Thomas Edison, I was using a not yet released Miller Dynasty 1400 on a space age metal that hasn't been created yet. But that was in my last life!!! <hahaha>

Seriously though, it was around 67, 68 or maybe even as late as 69 welding parts for the John Deere or the Farmall with an oxy/acetelyne torch, then I graduated to a buzz box and kept going from there. My career in welding has taken me from the oilfields to the bilges of a stranded aircraft carrier in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea which was then limped to port in Rota Spain for sturdier temporary repairs which took it to Norfolk Va. back to my dusty garage floor and on to building aluminum dump & flatbed trailers and on to making complex conveyors for companies like GE, & Ford Motor Co. I've also had a lot of what I consider insignificant stopovers between all of that. I've seen a lot and done a lot with a lot more I want to learn and do.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I have killed alot of brain cells since then, but I think it was a hog trap, or maybe a round pen for training horses. Either way, I dont think a week has gone by since that I havent fired the same old SA-200 up and burned some rods.

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
        I didn't learn to weld until after my Dad passed away. We moved off the farm 3 years later so I did my first welding @ 11. I can remember fabricating a handle for an old pitch fork. The wooden handle broke so I replaced it with pipe & put a pipe "T" handle on the end. I kept it for many years but somewhere in all the moving since it was lost.
        My Dad did custom welding on the farm. He welded /repaired farm equipment, built all kinds of things for the farm & for the neighbors once they saw what he'd built around our place. Here' one of his projects. This was taken in Sept of 1964. It's the last picture I have of him, he died in Jan. '65.
        I guess that's why I like fabricating. It brings back memories of watching my Dad put together some pretty innovative projects.

This was a 2 row pull type corn picker that dad set up on the 3 point hitch so he could open fields. I remember riding in the wagon that would hook to the front of the tractor.

I learned most of my early welding from my Brother. He went on to weld as a career, first in a motor home plant and then coal fired & nuclear power plants.

BTW: That's my brother with his FFA calf, my sister by my dad & me in the middle.

That is a fine looking calf. And a really nice barn too (I wish I had a barn so slick).
        Nice that you have fond memories of these things. Good on your Dad.

JTMcC.
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Thanks JTMcC. Unfortunately when we moved off the farm it went downhill. A few years ago the barn burned down from a lightning strike and since then the rest of the buildings have been dozed. But your right, I'll always have the memories & the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
            That must have been tough to learn to stick weld on that wire.

The push mower I mowed the yard with as a kid didn't have a motor. It had a big rotating bail and it spun when the tires were moving and I provided the 'motorvation'. LOL
            I think it was the same one grandpa had dad mow the lawn with when he was a kid too!
            Yeah, i remember it being hard. Don't rememebr if it was first thing I welded, but it stands out as being one of the first. Would have been easy today with wire feed. Seems most anybody that grew up on a farm or around a repair shop learned to weld a little. Today, most repair shops, technicains can't weld.
            I remember the crank with a big button on the side of the cowl. Crank it up, close the handle and push the button. Sucked when you were working on one that was not running...crank you butt off...nothing..do it again.
            Still see a few reel type mowers. If they are sharpened good and you have a small yard, they actually work well, if the grass isn't to tall.
            Scott
            HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
              This was a 2 row pull type corn picker that dad set up on the 3 point hitch so he could open fields. I remember riding in the wagon that would hook to the front of the tractor.
              I learned most of my early welding from my Brother. He went on to weld as a career, first in a motor home plant and then coal fired & nuclear power plants.

BTW: That's my brother with his FFA calf, my sister by my dad & me in the middle.
              Great picture. Always amazes me at how creative people can be and how they can make something out of nothing. especially back then when equipment like we have today wasn't avaliable and new material wasn't avalianble either.
              Scott
              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Working...
              X