No announcement yet.

First thing you ever welded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old was I for my first welding......

was about 12-13 or maybe even younger don't just remember but i know where it was at still drive by it everyday some times 4-5 times a day.

was a boat dock in the river was trying to weld a 2" pipe to the 4" spile while standing in a 12' alum boat bouncing up and down in the wave's now I know why they call it "STICK" welding, from that day on i was hooked my dad bought me a SA200 in grade 10 of high school and never have looked back or regretted it one bit.

Railmen
    2007 Trailblazer 302G
    2004 Invision 354MP
    1999 60 series feeder
    2005 Maxstar 200DX
    2007 CST280
    1999 HF 251-1
    older Hobart hefty wire feeder
    Hyperthrem 600
    Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
    had and sold........
    2003 XMT 304CC/CV
    1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
    1963 Lincoln SA200G
    1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
    1970's Lincoln SAE400G
    2 Maxstar's 200DX's
    1 Maxstar 200SD
    CST 280
    2 CST 250
    MM130

Railmen

Comment

I was 12 O/A torch re-welding the floor pan back on my go cart. I was always re-welding that floor pan back on that old rusty cart, probable had something to do with the coat hanger welding wire. Paid $25 for the cart earned it cutting grass that summer, got the torches the next year for my 12th birthday. Ah the memories of my youthful summers.

Comment

The very first thing that I welded was a nut onto a 3/4" piece of all thread. I used a cutting torch and probably a piece of bailing wire. This was in about 1972. I got a "real" welder (Airco AC buzzbox) not too long after that. It was a great advance over the cutting torch welding method.
        Jim

Comment

O/A car fenders with dad in the drive way in the late 70's then High school ROP everything from O/A, stick to Mig.
          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
          Auto shades are for rookies
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I was about eleven or twelve and told my Dad I wanted to learn to weld. He took me out to his rig setup a couple pipe jacks and put a piece scrape 1/2" plate about 12" by 20" on the jacks. He ran several pass showing me how to lay a bead then told me to run a bead from one end to the other, then brush it off and lay another right beside it. He said when you finish with that side flip it over and do it all over again. He sat a box of old rods beside me and said there was a full tank of gas and told me to practice, practice and practice. I can still remember sitting on the bumper of his rig and welding almost the whole day, he would come out ever once in awhile and see how I was doing. When I was fourteen he taught me how to oxy-acetylene and braze, by the time I was sixteen he had taught me how to weld pipe. Great memories with my Dad.

Comment

Wire frames for Christmas lights. To date, better than 80% of my welding is directly related to holiday displays, though an increasing portion of that is brackets, and other items to hold the display elements in place.

The first ones were done with a borrowed hardware store Lincoln. I liked the results enough that I bought a Millermatic 140AS. Now, a couple years later, I just recently experienced the first time I wanted a larger machine, just for the duty cycle. Too bad the 211 was not available when I bought mine...

Still trying to find the justification and money to buy a Dynasty 200DX before upgrading the MIG though...

Comment

I hardly can remember that far back. One thing comes to mind though. My dad had me welding up crab pot frames. 1/4" rod bent 3 times to make a square then welding the ends together. hard for a kid, not much to strike an arc on and was using an old Lincoln AC machine. Weld the edges together to make a frame, then cover them with wire to make a pot [square] Dont really remember how old, my father had an equipment repair shop [still does] so as long as i can remember I was working on something. I can still remember working on pushmowers with crank, wind up starters....LOL anybody remember those? I'm not that old really
                Scott
                HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                  I hardly can remember that far back. One thing comes to mind though. My dad had me welding up crab pot frames. 1/4" rod bent 3 times to make a square then welding the ends together. hard for a kid, not much to strike an arc on and was using an old Lincoln AC machine. Weld the edges together to make a frame, then cover them with wire to make a pot [square] Dont really remember how old, my father had an equipment repair shop [still does] so as long as i can remember I was working on something. I can still remember working on pushmowers with crank, wind up starters....LOL anybody remember those? I'm not that old really
                  That must have been tough to learn to stick weld on that wire.

The push mower I mowed the yard with as a kid didn't have a motor. It had a big rotating bail and it spun when the tires were moving and I provided the 'motorvation'. LOL
                  I think it was the same one grandpa had dad mow the lawn with when he was a kid too!
                  Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                  Millermatic175
                  MillermaticPassport/Q300
                  HTP MIG200
                  PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                  ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                  DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                  Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                  Purox oxy/ace
                  Jackson EQC
                  -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                  -LoadNGo utility bed
                  -Bobcat 250NT
                  -PassportPlus/Q300
                  -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                  -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                  -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                  -Smith oxy/propane
                  -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                    pushmowers with crank, wind up starters....LOL anybody remember those?
                    Were those the ones where you flipped the handle over, crank / wound the spring up, then flipped the handle back over pushed down and the spring would release, cranking the engine over?
                    Caution!
                    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Briggs & Stratton

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                      Were those the ones where you flipped the handle over, crank / wound the spring up, then flipped the handle back over pushed down and the spring would release, cranking the engine over?
                      Yes, Briggs made them in the 60's. A General Foreman of mine lost a thumb due to the "wind up crank." He wound it up, turned the knob, nothing. Negligently, he lifted the mower to find a rock wedged between the blade and body. As he removed the rock, the engine cranked, cutting off his thumb. He made a point at every safety meeting to show us the results. This wasn't an isolated case. Briggs discontinued this model, after many, similar accidents.

Dave
                      Last edited by davedarragh; 10-13-2009, 11:56 AM.
                      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I didn't learn to weld until after my Dad passed away. We moved off the farm 3 years later so I did my first welding @ 11. I can remember fabricating a handle for an old pitch fork. The wooden handle broke so I replaced it with pipe & put a pipe "T" handle on the end. I kept it for many years but somewhere in all the moving since it was lost.
                        My Dad did custom welding on the farm. He welded /repaired farm equipment, built all kinds of things for the farm & for the neighbors once they saw what he'd built around our place. Here' one of his projects. This was taken in Sept of 1964. It's the last picture I have of him, he died in Jan. '65.
                        I guess that's why I like fabricating. It brings back memories of watching my Dad put together some pretty innovative projects.

This was a 2 row pull type corn picker that dad set up on the 3 point hitch so he could open fields. I remember riding in the wagon that would hook to the front of the tractor.

I learned most of my early welding from my Brother. He went on to weld as a career, first in a motor home plant and then coal fired & nuclear power plants.

BTW: That's my brother with his FFA calf, my sister by my dad & me in the middle.
                        Last edited by pro70z28; 10-13-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

1st thing I built was a Thor hammer when I was 11. Solid 3" round stock, cut 4" long, and a 12" long, solid round 1" thick handle. We cut it out and welded it up with the wirefeed at my buddy's house.

Comment

First Thing you Ever Welded

Back in 79 I welded my Dad's floorpans in his 66 Chevy II with a tiny Lincoln stick welder!! It actually looked really good
                            Dan
                            Miller Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 251

Comment

All I remember in the mid 80's was welding at tech school. Stick on plate for 6 freaking months, then stick on pipe for 6 more. 35 hrs a week at school and 40 hrs a week in a cotton mill took the life out me for a year. I never went back for the second year of welding but I did pass both plate and pipe test with ease.

Learned to Tig on boat props at a local shop shortly after. Been doing that over the years.

Now just buying my first machine, my first job was a chainsaw. Magnesium housing on a very old stihl. Don't care if I ever see one of those again. It aint pretty but it will hold.

Comment

Many Moons Ago !!

Hello; Well , The first time I welded was back in the early " 60's ", Can't remember what It might have been though !!

.............. Norm :
                                www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X