Mixed Gas Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Gas Question

Is it possible for the gases to seperate in the bottle if not used regularly? C-25 gas especially, due to the differences in weight between gases. If so, what is a good remedy?

Thanks for the warm "wlecomes."

Gene

Every 24 to 48 hours I pick the bottle up and shake it.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Won't the CO2 fizz??????
      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Interesting answers, I guess I won't worry about it.

Comment

Hi Gene,

Yes the gases will separate over time. Some LWS do not use dip tubes in their cylinders when they fill them and that is what helps the mix. If you have the same cylinder sitting around for for a year a would put the cap in place, gently lay it on the floor an roll it around. This will help mix it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_girl View Post
            Hi Gene,

Yes the gases will separate over time. Some LWS do not use dip tubes in their cylinders when they fill them and that is what helps the mix. If you have the same cylinder sitting around for for a year a would put the cap in place, gently lay it on the floor an roll it around. This will help mix it back up.
            Thank you very much.

Gene

Comment

I was always under the assumption that Boyle's law is what kept them mixed.

Argon is a noble gas, so it should not have any attraction to co2. So if each gas expands to fill the volume of the container its being held in, that should keep them in proportion inside the bottle.

but, like I said that was just my assumption, could be a bad one.

Comment

"Boyle's Law"

Originally posted by youfoundtheking View Post
                I was always under the assumption that Boyle's law is what kept them mixed.

Argon is a noble gas, so it should not have any attraction to co2. So if each gas expands to fill the volume of the container its being held in, that should keep them in proportion inside the bottle.

but, like I said that was just my assumption, could be a bad one.
                Thank you for that. Another good answer. Guess I can always call the local gas supplier and see what they say too.

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by hardhat View Post
                  Interesting answers, I guess I won't worry about it.
                  Gene I was just having some fun with the new guy!

I / we don’t use a lot of 75/25 so our bottles will set for sometimes up to a year, never any problems.
                  Caution!

Comment

"The New Guy"

Sonora: That's what I figured, kind of like "initiation" into the "club."

Comment

Originally posted by hardhat View Post
                      Sonora: That's what I figured, kind of like "initiation" into the "club."
                      Sort of, I figured anybody with “Hardhat” for a handle could / should be able to take a little ribbing.
                      Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        Sort of, I figured anybody with “Hardhat” for a handle could / should be able to take a little ribbing.
                        Yeah, I've been told I'm so hard headed, I don't need to wear one

Comment

If you ask your local gas supplier about Boyle's Law, they will probably think it has something to do with large sores.

Ask a chemical engineer.

What you will find is that it takes a great deal of effort to separate gases once they are mixed. It does not happen on its own. That would violate the laws of thermodynamics. There's a little thing called "Entropy" that prevents things like messy houses from cleaning themselves up spontaneously.

If gasses separated on their own without an extraordinary amount of energy input, the multibillon dollar air liquefaction industry would probably like to find out about it!

In a thousand years, your steel mix would be homogeneous, but it will probably leak out before then.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Working...
                          X