Flap wheel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap wheel help

Want to know if anybody might have an idea on how to get more life out of flap wheel disks. We have been buying them lately from Lehigh Abrasives, the blue zirconium ones for steel and are having them load up quicker than they wear down. Just lookin for some help.
    Jeffery

Not familiar with the Lehigh ones, but have used several different brands and have not had the issue with loading. What grit are you using? Is the a surface coating such as paint or rust proof?

I use different grits, 36/40, 60, 120 and stainless coarse twisted steel wire. Sometime I don't seem to get the cutting I want then I go to a different grit or the steel wire.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet
    sigpic

Comment

I use Edge lube from MSC and get alot longer life from them...

Seems crazy to think lubing a grinding wheel would be a good idea, but after a guy that worked for me brought it to my attention I'm sold 100%

http://www.rshughes.com/products/078827_43200.html
      Last edited by Checkered Flag; 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM.
      Two Dynasty 350's with Wireless pedals
      Victor O/A
      Profax 250 weld positioner
      Bridgeport mill
      Logan Turret lathe
      RMD tubing bender
      Enco vertical saw
      Baileigh Auto cold saw
      IR 80 Gal dual stage compressor
      Misc Fab equipment

Comment

We are using them on new structural tubing that's welded with either 5p+ or .35 mig wire. Nothing exotic at all. First grinding down to the surface with a rock, then finishing out with 80 grit.
        I will look into the lube thing. Doesn't sound reasonable but most things dont anymore in this world.

Comment

It's the excessive heat buildup. Can you move your grinding to a slightly different area to allow the first area to cool down. With this spot you are grinsing getting so hot, it is effecting your flap disc. Just as you would while sanding on wood, the abrasive disc/belt will gum-up and wear quickly if too much heat build-up happens too quickly. I can imagine that this "Lubricant" will help in that heat build-up. But you might try the cool down method first.

Comment

I never was impressed with the flap disc from the day they came out 1960’s or 70’s?
            Dementia is jerking my chain now days!
            I would much rather use a grinding wheel first, then start with a 36 grit sanding pad, then to 50 or 80 depending on the finish I want. I feel the flap discs are over priced for the life you get out of them.
            Attached Files
            Caution!
            These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Ive never used the leighhigh disks, but flexovit flap disks are the longest lasting ones ive tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Flag View Post

Seems crazy to think lubing a grinding wheel would be a good idea, but after a guy that worked for me brought it to my attention I'm sold 100%

I looked this over and I am not convinced that its good for sanding wheels...It is or appears to be useful for metal only???????????? Or so it appears.
                Don
                Scottsdale, AZ
                www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                Hypertherm PowerMax30
                Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
                DeWalt Chop Saw
                Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                12 Ton Shop Press
                Optrel Satellite Helmet
                Miller Elite Helmet
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
                  I looked this over and I am not convinced that its good for sanding wheels...It is or appears to be useful for metal only???????????? Or so it appears.

I thought the same untill I bought some for the employee...

Now I use it on many different things, and on flap wheels I've found through personal experience that they last a whole lot longer.

I'm not putting a sales pitch out there for the product, but at 3-4 dollars per wheel, give it a shot, I get almost double the life from 60 and 80 grit cheapo flap wheels.
                  Two Dynasty 350's with Wireless pedals
                  Victor O/A
                  Profax 250 weld positioner
                  Bridgeport mill
                  Logan Turret lathe
                  RMD tubing bender
                  Enco vertical saw
                  Baileigh Auto cold saw
                  IR 80 Gal dual stage compressor
                  Misc Fab equipment

Comment

anyone know where to get and who makes 4" flap wheels?
                    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

We used to use a stick product from walter for drill bits. We also tried bees wax it worked ok but not as good as the walter stuff. I think it was called cool tool or something like that. Jef

Comment

Checkered Flag or anyone else for that matter. I thought I would give it a try so I placed an order for two tubes to see how it works out. The web site is one that doesn't post shipping charges in advance. You guessed it. To ship to me at standard UPS rates a distance of 85 miles, two tubes weigh 26 ounces, the shipping and handling was $16.04 and each tube was $15.55.

Just thought I would let anyone else dumb enough to go through a blank order, this is what you get. Got to love shipping and handling.

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
                        Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
                        Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
                        Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
                        Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
                        Jackson auto dark helmet
                        18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
                        Oxy/Act
                        Horizontal Band Saw
                        Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
                        7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
                        4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
                        1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
                        2 - IR Die Grinders
                        All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Comment

Originally posted by Leefy View Post
                          Checkered Flag or anyone else for that matter. I thought I would give it a try so I placed an order for two tubes to see how it works out. The web site is one that doesn't post shipping charges in advance. You guessed it. To ship to me at standard UPS rates a distance of 85 miles, two tubes weigh 26 ounces, the shipping and handling was $16.04 and each tube was $15.55.

Just thought I would let anyone else dumb enough to go through a blank order, this is what you get. Got to love shipping and handling.
                          Leefy I’ve got to the point when a website doesn’t tell me the shipping and handling up front I move to another one that does. Couple times I paid more for shipping than the actual item.
                          Never again!
                          Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie
                            but is welding that far from your daily routine that you have to depend the internet to go about it.
                            I don’t understand this part. Please explain.
                            Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie
                              I can relate to coming on a welding forum for a bit of info or entertainment..but is welding that far from your daily routine that you have to depend the internet to go about it.
                              Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                              I don’t understand this part. Please explain.
                              I'm thinking that reggie maybe doesn't believe in buying on line. Where I live I don't have any welding supply within 65 miles and I do hate to buy online specially when I get hung with extreme shipping but sometimes you got no other choice unless you want a long drive.

I do like the resources of the internet and all of the help on this site to direct me to products that work for someone. Being newly retired and new to tig, I am always looking for help and can depend on getting it here. I will just be very cautious about shipping charges in the future. I did email the company above to complain about the charge but I'm sure it's water over the dam.

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
                              Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
                              Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
                              Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
                              Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
                              Jackson auto dark helmet
                              18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
                              Oxy/Act
                              Horizontal Band Saw
                              Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
                              7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
                              4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
                              1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
                              2 - IR Die Grinders
                              All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Comment

Working...
                              X