Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coronan
    • Mar 2013

Sooo.... Whats your advice???? What am i doing wrong? Or is that a trade secret?

Comment

• weldonwelding
      • Sep 2012

I used to weld fuel cells for racing boats and had to get certified for it. They made us clean the filler with acetone and cut the end of the filler off before every start.

Comment

• coronan
        • Mar 2013

I'm cleaning every thing with laquer thinner. (has acetone in it. Leaves no residue.)

I may have to much leading angle. The effect looked like arc blow. Hot gas would slightly melt and oxidize the filler and also allow arc wander towards the filler.

THE BEST TIP ON THIS THREAD WAS TO "SNEAK THE FILLER INTO THE VERY EDGE OF THE PUDDLE.
        Kudos to who ever posted it.
        Last edited by coronan; 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• bayweld
          • Apr 2009

scotch brite yer rod

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
          scotchbrite, you can omit the acetone.
          +1 ...I don't like using acetone or other fast evaporating liquids for cleaning because of fire danger.....But then I welded on aluminum gillnetters ....Manual cleaning always works.....sometimes it takes more that one or two attempts...Cleaning your rod is a basic..If you have greasy gloves you may have to clean your rod often if you want those welds that shine on and on..good luck...

Comment

• Goodhand
            • Jan 2007

Try to shorten the arc by holding the tung closer to the puddle; suspect you are melting/balling the rod before it hits the puddle, as others have said. Keep the tip close to the puddle and back up a bit (but don't pull away), as you dip the rod to the puddle. By keeping a shorter arc the heat is more confined to the area, so hopefully, the rod will hit the puddle before melting.

Suggest you watch some of the videos at http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ to see how a pro does it.
            Last edited by Goodhand; 04-14-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Kpack
              • Feb 2012

aero® Briter 601 Acid Cleaner - Gal. | Available in various sizes. Aluminum cleaner & brightener that will not harm painted surfaces when used as directed, however, it will etch glass. Concentrated acid solvent detergent compound. | Sanco Products Co., Inc.

I like this for cleaning alum not to harsh. I mixed up some in a gal bucket and dropped a spool of alum mig wire that was real old in it for a couple of minutes rinsed it of blew it out and let it dry welded like it was brand new I don't know why it wouldn't clean your filler rod a gal will last you a long time and it beats wire brushing or sanding. I buy it at a local cleaning supply.

Comment

• coronan
                • Mar 2013

I bumped up to a 3/4 " cup and I think it solved all of my Woes.
                Acording to the miller Tig Calculator I should use 1/2 to 3/4 cup on 1/4" butt welds.

I had 5/8 cup but couldnt run a bead larger than a pea with out contamination.

When in doubt go up a cup size.

Comment

Working...
                X