Mig transport hazard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig transport hazard?

I need to transport my MM252 to another location and the roads can be pretty rough out here.This is the first time taking this thing anywhere.My question is:should i take the 44lbs wire roll out of it or will the spindle take the ride ok? Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

It only takes seconds to take it out so if your worried then do it. If it was mine I wouldn't bother.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

How fast you gonna be driving, Frank???? Will there be daylight, or air space, between your tires and the road???

If you are really worried, takes less than one minute to snip the wire, tie the wire on the spool off, and remove the spool. Less than two minutes, to pull the old wire out of the liner, reinstall the spool, and refeed the wire.

Since I drive reasonably sanely, I'd just tighten the wire spool tensioner up enough so the spool won't unravel, and go.
      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Fast???

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
        How fast you gonna be driving, Frank???? Will there be daylight, or air space, between your tires and the road???

If you are really worried, takes less than one minute to snip the wire, tie the wire on the spool off, and remove the spool. Less than two minutes, to pull the old wire out of the liner, reinstall the spool, and refeed the wire.

Since I drive reasonably sanely, I'd just tighten the wire spool tensioner up enough so the spool won't unravel, and go.
        JS,i keep the fast for the track bike and at the track where the daylight between the tires and the ground come from HARD braking and Harder acceleration.On the street you do that sort of thing for any length of time with anything,it's not if you're going to have a problem but rather when.As for my worries,there's an abondance of messy road work on my path and i just wanted to see what others thought.FYI,i'll take it off,if it were a 10lbs ok.
        Millermatic 252
        Millermatic 180
        Dynasty 200DX
        Hobart spoolmate 3035
        Digital Elite

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
          JS,i keep the fast for the track bike and at the track where the daylight between the tires and the ground come from HARD braking and Harder acceleration.On the street you do that sort of thing for any length of time with anything,it's not if you're going to have a problem but rather when.As for my worries,there's an abondance of messy road work on my path and i just wanted to see what others thought.FYI,i'll take it off,if it were a 10lbs ok.
          i dont take it out ever and i've been down roads that only a 4x4 can go but i do tighten the wire spool tensioner up enough so the spool won't unravel
          like JSFAB was saying
          gary...

Comment

I had one unwind so i would just clip the end and wrap it back up until you need it. I even remove my gun since it takes just 5 seconds and that way i know it won't get damaged...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

This weekend I spent a good deal of time recovering wire from a 44lb spool that broke. A VERY mild backlash took 4 hours to clean up and spool off onto 10 lb reels.

Wire is not cheap, and if it backs up enough to start a good backlash, it can quickly go from 3 dollar/pound (retail) spool to a 3 cent/pound (scrap) devil's slinky.

But structurally, if you run over something that jolts you hard enough to break the spindle, you'll probably also have a face full of airbag, too.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
              Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
              "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
              "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
              "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Thank for your answer sir.

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                This weekend I spent a good deal of time recovering wire from a 44lb spool that broke. A VERY mild backlash took 4 hours to clean up and spool off onto 10 lb reels.

Wire is not cheap, and if it backs up enough to start a good backlash, it can quickly go from 3 dollar/pound (retail) spool to a 3 cent/pound (scrap) devil's slinky.

But structurally, if you run over something that jolts you hard enough to break the spindle, you'll probably also have a face full of airbag, too.
                Must have had a few choice words for that one!I'll be removing mine,just in case.Thanks again,Frank

When on the road watch out for the ones that are waiting for the slap in the face from the air bag to wake up(Captain Coma at the helm) LOL.
                Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM.
                Millermatic 252
                Millermatic 180
                Dynasty 200DX
                Hobart spoolmate 3035
                Digital Elite

Comment

Working...
                X