Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polished M/S finishing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • polished M/S finishing?

    I've recently finished a set of handrails for the entryway of a customers home.Using polished mild steel,oak and glass. I've looked @ clear powder coating but have gotten some negative feedback on results. Guys saying stuff like "i've seen the steel spider web rust under the coating", or things like "you get what you get". A real turn off for what is said to be a superior finish to a clear 2-part urethane. I'm hoping someone with finishing background can help with my decision, don't really want to be re&reing this project due to poor finish or short life. I am aware that powder coating is a tuffer finish but is the risk really that high? I've also heard of using lower curing temps and longer cure times help???????????????????? Thanks to anyone that can help.

  • #2
    I have used the same clear finish i used on my hardwood floors for some of my projects...Bob
    Bob Wright

    Comment


    • #3
      mild steel finishings

      Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      I have used the same clear finish i used on my hardwood floors for some of my projects...Bob
      Like a Varathane Diamond coat?

      Comment


      • #4
        Yup thats it Varathane High Gloss Polyurathane...Bob
        Bob Wright

        Comment


        • #5
          Way back in the olden days, people used to use high gloss clear lacquer on polished metals. It's time tested and works well. Might try it if you can get your hands on it.

          80% of failures are from 20% of causes
          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

          Comment


          • #6
            m/s steel

            I use a lot of laquer you need to spray a seal coat light sand with 280 grit then spray laquer a high gloss will make every flaw stand out a satin gloss will look much better you will have to add a product called "smothy" it is called fish eye remover or the laquer will spider on the steel you add it to the sealer and laquer you can also add a tint to the laquer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Buddy T View Post
              I use a lot of laquer you need to spray a seal coat light sand with 280 grit then spray laquer a high gloss will make every flaw stand out a satin gloss will look much better you will have to add a product called "smothy" it is called fish eye remover or the laquer will spider on the steel you add it to the sealer and laquer you can also add a tint to the laquer

              Not entirely familiar with finishes like this so excuse me if this sounds like a stupid questions but is a laquer the same as a urethane and is it as durable. Being that this will be on hand rails it will see keys, rings, etc, running over it.

              thanks for all the input

              Comment


              • #8
                m/s steel

                If you use a post catylised laquer ( you add the catylist ) it is a lot harder then the precat laquer most tables are post laquer if you write on a table that was sprayed with precat you can read the letter in the table post laquer is used on pianos for it durability and hard finish if it gets scratched or damaged you just spray again the laquer melts into the old finish

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think you have a couple issues to think of. One of them being finish durability, another being corrosion resistance WHEN the finish gets damaged, and the last is repairability of the finish. Powdercoat has a good initial durability, but lacks the ability to prevent corrosion from going under the finish when it gets damaged, and is for all practical terms impossible to "field repair". 2K urethanes or enamels ( dont use water based for obvious reasons ) have almost as "durable" of a finish as powdercoat, have much higher resistance to corrosion creeping under the finish, and are spot repairable in the field. 1K materials in the organic field such as laquers, shellacs, etc have a nice look, and can resist corrosion fairly well, but arent very durable in that environment. Figure the coating WILL get chipped and flake off, after all its a polished, un-primed surface. So pick one thats reasonably tough, and can be repaired easily. Personally I would pick a 2K acrylic-enamel.
                  "Better Metalworking Through Research"

                  Miller Dynasty 300DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX
                  Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                  Miller Millermatic Passport

                  Miller Spot Welder
                  Motor-Guard stud welder

                  Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                    I've recently finished a set of handrails for the entryway of a customers home.
                    This is outside correct?
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                      I think you have a couple issues to think of. One of them being finish durability, another being corrosion resistance WHEN the finish gets damaged, and the last is repairability of the finish. Powdercoat has a good initial durability, but lacks the ability to prevent corrosion from going under the finish when it gets damaged, and is for all practical terms impossible to "field repair". 2K urethanes or enamels ( dont use water based for obvious reasons ) have almost as "durable" of a finish as powdercoat, have much higher resistance to corrosion creeping under the finish, and are spot repairable in the field. 1K materials in the organic field such as laquers, shellacs, etc have a nice look, and can resist corrosion fairly well, but arent very durable in that environment. Figure the coating WILL get chipped and flake off, after all its a polished, un-primed surface. So pick one thats reasonably tough, and can be repaired easily. Personally I would pick a 2K acrylic-enamel.

                      Why 2K acrylic-enamel and why not a urethane?
                      Thanks very much

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                        This is outside correct?
                        No, the rails will be inside.

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Indoors I would just do what was tuff and somewhat softer to be more chip resistant myself.
                          By the time it gets wore out, no one should blame you.
                          Outdoors is a whole different ballgame IMO
                          I liked the floor stuff idea as well. It would have to be tuff. Just do a nice job and you should be fine.

                          www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                          Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                            Why 2K acrylic-enamel and why not a urethane?
                            Thanks very much
                            Tends to be more impact resistant. It has the same look, polish etc. as a 2K urethane, but with better "toughness". Its only drawback is that its slower to cure, so for body shops its a " time-is-money" issue. If you want it really tough, then just shoot AE as a 1K, but your going to be waiting a couple days for it to harden up, and full cure comes after about 2 weeks. You can oven bake it though and have it done in about 2 hours.
                            "Better Metalworking Through Research"

                            Miller Dynasty 300DX
                            Miller Dynasty 200DX
                            Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                            Miller Millermatic Passport

                            Miller Spot Welder
                            Motor-Guard stud welder

                            Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for all the input guys

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X