Arc Gouging V.S. Oxy ACtylene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc Gouging V.S. Oxy ACtylene

I have a heat exchanger to cut up for scrap 60' long 8' dia 1" thick which would be most effective?

I’d go with O/A, but rent a large liquid oxygen bottle.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

I too 2nd the o/a torch. Where did you find that monster??? ...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Yep, your not going to be able to successfully use a gouger on it, OxyAcet is the only way, other than using a large plasma cutter.

Comment

A friend of mine has to haul it out of a refinery and wants it cut up into moveable pieces. I was just looking for the easiest way appreciate the info.

Comment

Air carbon arc is going to be much slower and messier than O/A (although it is pretty fun ).

60a plasma would sever it, 80A would be better. Without that option, I'd use the torch too.
            Syncrowave 250DX
            Invison 354MP
            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
            Smith O/A rig
            And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Plasma is definitely an option, but without moving into a 3-phase unit wouldn’t duty cycle be an issue with a single phase unit?
              Only duty cycle issue I’ve experienced with O/A is the cramp in my thumb!
              Caution!

Comment

I'm sure you already know that all the tubes will be stainless, right?
                Only the shell will be carbon.
                Atleast I've never worked on one with carbon tubes.

Comment

If this is from a petrochemical facility, there's a good chance you will be dealing with Monel, Incoloy, or another high performance nickel alloy.

If so I think it's a safe bet that you won't get very far with an oxyacetylene torch.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

May want to look into these!
                    http://www.oxylance.net/site/
                    Caution!

Comment

Yes, exchangers are not generally mild steel. Haven't seen any large Stainless ones either though. So best to check into it, and rent a 80-100 amp+ plasma cutter.

Comment

Let us know what it turned out to be and what it took to get the job done.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Burn the shell with O/A and if the tubes r not carbon then gauge them with carbon arc

Comment

I work in a refinery and there are all kinds of combinations of shell/tubes in exchangers depending on what product flows thru them. I have read about 400 tags over the years on them...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Comment

how much time you got ? gouging is definitely the way to go. unless of course your in a major fire zone where space is an option. o/a is good for the shell. but if you have access to an adequate air compressor, then i'd go with the gouge.

Comment

Working...
                              X