Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding cast intake man.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • welding cast intake man.

    Anyone ever welded a cast ford short block intake manifold, I"ve never had the
    oppertunity and would appreciate a few pointers.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Diggers Welding View Post
    Anyone ever welded a cast ford short block intake manifold, I"ve never had the
    oppertunity and would appreciate a few pointers.
    Its only a short block if the intake is missing. What size motor? Intakes for most fords have to be a dime a dozen. Whats broke on it?...Bob
    Bob Wright

    Comment


    • #3
      not short?

      Sorry inexperince showing not a car guy. this part is out of my friends boat that he picked up pretty cheap for obvious reasons, motor is 351 winsor

      Comment


      • #4
        Always preheat cast iron.
        Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
        Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
        Rockwell vertical mill
        Beverly Shear B-3
        Beverly Shear JR
        Home-made English wheel
        Milwaukee Porta-band
        " Sawz-all
        Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
        Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
        Powcon 300st

        Comment


        • #5
          intake

          is intake cast iron, or cast steel? i"ve welded axles, rear dif. pot on dump trucks
          spark pattern is like cast steel. on a side note i just talked to my buddy that owns the boat and had to stomach the news that his block is cracked in half.

          Comment


          • #6
            "Intake"

            Originally posted by Diggers Welding View Post
            Sorry inexperince showing not a car guy. this part is out of my friends boat that he picked up pretty cheap for obvious reasons, motor is 351 winsor
            351 Windsor on a boat? Is it aluminum or cast iron? Like metalmaster asked, where is it cracked/broken?

            Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

            Comment


            • #7
              Prep the crack by grinding a proper bevel.

              Get an 18lb bag of charcoal and a big grill.

              Light the charcoal and let it get started.

              Put the manifold on the charcoal and line the outside of the grill with gravel and put the lid on it.

              Let it heat for an hour or two.

              Weld it over the grill with a nickel rod such as Ni55 or Ni99.

              Put it back in the fire and cover with hot coals and hot gravels.

              Put the top on and leave it alone for 8 hours.

              This procedure pretty closely approximates the correct preheat and postheat and cooling period.

              80% of failures are from 20% of causes
              Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
              "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
              "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
              "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

              Comment


              • #8
                intake

                thanks to all the replies guys, it is ckacked at the top of thermo housing,
                Body bagger your reply tells me you think it is cast iron?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  Its only a short block if the intake is missing. What size motor? Intakes for most fords have to be a dime a dozen. Whats broke on it?...Bob

                  that's not necessarily true... Ford has short deck and tall deck motors within the same engine family...
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                    that's not necessarily true... Ford has short deck and tall deck motors within the same engine family...
                    Sorry but everyone is wrong so far
                    A short block is nothing but the block with only the crank, rods and pistons installed along with the cam and timing gears as well.
                    A long block is the same thing with the heads and valve gear installed.
                    Sold hundreds of them in another life.
                    Deck height is another thing altogether.

                    www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                    Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
                      Prep the crack by grinding a proper bevel.

                      Get an 18lb bag of charcoal and a big grill.

                      Light the charcoal and let it get started.

                      Put the manifold on the charcoal and line the outside of the grill with gravel and put the lid on it.

                      Let it heat for an hour or two.

                      Weld it over the grill with a nickel rod such as Ni55 or Ni99.

                      Put it back in the fire and cover with hot coals and hot gravels.

                      Put the top on and leave it alone for 8 hours.

                      This procedure pretty closely approximates the correct preheat and postheat and cooling period.
                      I think a bit more extreme than I would go on this. Those old Fords were a pretty good grade of cast and weld pretty good without any or very little pre-heat.
                      I've had excellent luck just using 3/16ths 309 on stuff like this after a bit of torch pre and post heat. Used nickle as well but never the all out oven deal on any engine parts. YMMV
                      Now if you was fixing the freeze cracks in the lifter vally or some giant crack then maybe (I'd do the oven bit) but like AAMetalmaster said...these things are common. But 4 barrel non EGR Windsor intakes are a bit rare.

                      www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                      Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        intake or block?

                        So which one is cracked intake or block?
                        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                        Ln25
                        Miller spectrum 625
                        Miller 30a spoolgun
                        Wc115a
                        Lincoln 210mp
                        F550 imt service truck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          intake

                          i have the intake to repair he sent the block to some one in T.o. Can. who
                          garanties block repairs, that guy mag fluxed the block, told him today its cracked right threw cam jounals ect.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            used block....

                            if its a 351 w I would upgrade with it a truck block, 91-95. Also a roller motor, which is far superior to a flat tappet. Seems like a lot of work, when a used block would be about 100 bucks. Also ditch that cast manifold and put an aluminum one on it.
                            Kevin
                            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                            Ln25
                            Miller spectrum 625
                            Miller 30a spoolgun
                            Wc115a
                            Lincoln 210mp
                            F550 imt service truck

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It must be a Mercury Marine 351W. My buddy had one in his boat. It would do 51 MPH all day and not one drop faster. I would just look for another motor...Bob
                              Bob Wright

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X