questions on becoming a rig hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on becoming a rig hand?

hello i am a younger man looking to go to school and become certified in pipe and structural welding but my heart is set on becoming a pipeline rig welder. i am currently a heavy equipment operator and habe had the honor of working around pipeline welders and have finally decided that i am not getting any younger and its my time to pursue my dream. that said i think the message is pretty clear i understand you bust your a$$ and work long hours and are gone from home more than not! The questions to my anwsers are only going to come from people who have been there and done that so thats why i am here, and probably will never leave cause i have so many questions. first of all what is a suitable welding truck? most people i have seen are using 1 ton duallys with 4x4. second question what would be a good choice of a welder? alot of people i know seem to think that a lincoln pipeliner200 or classic 300 is the ticket but i dont know how much to believe coming from them. third qeustion for tonight is what kinds of hand tools should i carry on my rig little or big grinders?, lots of hose and lead's or not so long?, what type of files and other tools of the like should i get? i basically need to know how to set up a rig that will get the job done, so who better to ask that you guys that are out there doing it or have done it before all your input and suggestions are much appreciated as i have no one else to learn from
    thanks tim smith

If you go a few pages back on the forums, you will find two new posts on rig welders. A few guys have posted what tools they have.
    sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

thanks for replying so fast. i will check that out

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
        If you go a few pages back on the forums, you will find two new posts on rig welders. A few guys have posted what tools they have.
        In those post you will see that if you had been 2 monthes earlier you could have bought SAE-350 rig. Hey 350 I never knew you had a short hood, please tell me you didn't sell it.

Tim Smith, were exactly is ''near Topeka''?
        All older pipeliners are good machines or can be turned into good ones with a few adjustments. Look around for good deals on older or used machines. 4wheel drive is a must. Dual wheels make for a lot nicer ride, it's a lot more stable. My tool list is on one of them threads, probably 3 or so pages back.
        '08 F-350
        Vantage 400
        SA-250
        SA-200
        Invertec V350Pro
        Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
        Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
        Track torch

Comment

rig hand is so funny

Dude I sold the short hood too. I traded my rig in on a duramax, and a week later the dealership call and wanted the duramax back. I think they realized they couldnt sell a rig truck. So now I have my rig back but no machines to put on it. I sold my deck the other day, but I think im going to build a new one.
          sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
            I traded my rig in on a duramax, and a week later the dealership call and wanted the duramax back. I think they realized they couldnt sell a rig truck.

Dip sticks!
            Caution!
            These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

[QUOTE=sae350;206833]Dude I sold the short hood too.QUOTE]

That's it 350. First, you called me a carpenter. Then you sold 3 good machines. Oh, sure you offered one or two on this site, but I don't remember anything about selling a shorthood. Let me guess it was probably in mint conditon, with the revolver cylinders for the control knobs. I only hope who ever bought it will call in a week and want to give it back.

I am glad to see that you can't get rid of your rig, even if you try. Remeber 2010 is supose to be the year of years.
              '08 F-350
              Vantage 400
              SA-250
              SA-200
              Invertec V350Pro
              Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
              Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
              Track torch

Comment

Originally posted by tim_smith85 View Post
                hello i am a younger man looking to go to school and become certified in pipe and structural welding but my heart is set on becoming a pipeline rig welder. i am currently a heavy equipment operator and habe had the honor of working around pipeline welders
                Were you on the REX East or the Keystone?
                Email me and I'll tell you what I know. It's a long, hard road.

John at: [email protected]

JTMcC, Local 798
                Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                X