No announcement yet.

4043 Rods ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with those rods was that it wasn't that difficult to get the hang of it, but the rods sure are consumed fast!

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      My experience with those rods was that it wasn't that difficult to get the hang of it, but the rods sure are consumed fast!
      Walker Hi; Well I tried some rods today. They are not to bad, very different than any rod I'd used before ! What kind of gap to you guys use on these rods ? Tight? Loose ? They seem to work better for me with about 1/8th" gap or even a little more ?
      Should I be pre-heating 1/4" plate ?
      I also re-tried my spool gun again on the 1/4" plate I have here. I'll be darned if the thing accually worked, Thicker plate I guess . It really looks pretty good !!

Anyway, the real thing tomorrow night , when I weld the Aluminum for a guys small project !

.................. Norm
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
        Walker Hi; Well I tried some rods today. They are not to bad, very different than any rod I'd used before ! What kind of gap to you guys use on these rods ? Tight? Loose ? They seem to work better for me with about 1/8th" gap or even a little more ?
        I also re-tried my spool gun again on the 1/4" plate I have here. I'll be darned if the thing accually worked, Thicker plate I guess . It really looks pretty good !!

Anyway, the real thing tomorrow night , when I weld the Aluminum for a guys small project !

.................. Norm
        Come on!

Caution!
        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Gettin' the hang of It !!

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
          Come on!

Pictures of what ? A bunch of stringer beads on 1/4" plate !!

.................Norm

Comment

That’s right, a picture is worth a 1,000 words!
            Caution!

Comment

Pics a Commin' !

That’s right, a picture is worth a 1,000 words!
              OK, Tomorrow I'll have to dig out my camera. I'll take some Pics just for you Sonora !!

.......... Norm :

Comment

.................. Norm
                Well guys; I posted this one earlier today, any suggestions, answers ?

............ Norm

Comment

OK, Tomorrow I'll have to dig out my camera. I'll take some Pics just for you Sonora

.......... Norm

Good deal!
                  I only ask because I haven’t run any aluminum SMAW since the early 1980’s! And not much at that.
                  Caution!

Comment

Different Kinda' Rods ?

Good deal!
                    I only ask because I haven’t run any aluminum SMAW since the early 1980’s! And not much at that.
                    Sonora, Hi; It's wierd stuff, Very fluid looking bead . Also as Aaron & Debar stated the slag is some kinda' different, It spreads out past the bead ?
                    Once you clean it up it don't a lot different from any other bead, Shinny though !

I'm Not Sure if I should be pre-heating the 1/4" AL., Plate before welding with 4043 electrodes ? I'm also Not real sure what the Gap is supposed to be ?? Anyway we'll see tomorrow !!

............. Norm

Comment

Hey Buddy want me to run up to your place tomorrow after work and help ya out on the Alum. I have done hours and hours of Alum.

Spool gun, TIG, SMAW tried them all

if I had my choice it would be spool gun for all except outside corners then the TIG wins hands down way easier to make its look nice.

remember i am only just over 2 hrs away.

Railmen.
                      2007 Trailblazer 302G
                      2004 Invision 354MP
                      1999 60 series feeder
                      2005 Maxstar 200DX
                      2007 CST280
                      1999 HF 251-1
                      older Hobart hefty wire feeder
                      Hyperthrem 600
                      Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
                      had and sold........
                      2003 XMT 304CC/CV
                      1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
                      1963 Lincoln SA200G
                      1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
                      1970's Lincoln SAE400G
                      2 Maxstar's 200DX's
                      1 Maxstar 200SD
                      CST 280
                      2 CST 250
                      MM130

Railmen

Comment

E- 4043 s.m.a.w. ??

Originally posted by Railmen View Post
                        Hey Buddy want me to run up to your place tomorrow after work and help ya out on the Alum. I have done hours and hours of Alum.

Spool gun, TIG, SMAW tried them all

if I had my choice it would be spool gun for all except outside corners then the TIG wins hands down way easier to make its look nice.

remember i am only just over 2 hrs away.

Railmen.
                        Ty, Come On Down, anytime , you are always Welcome !!
                        I finally figured out my spool gun ( I Think ? )

Now I'm trying to figure out this E-4043 electrode business !!!
                        That stuff is some kinda' different critter !
                        So should I be pre-heating 1/4" plate or not using 1/8" Rods ?
                        Also what size of gap do you have when running these Rods ??

Lots of Questions, eh !

............... Norm

Comment

Hey norm what I have found they seem to run better with a big gap some place for it to go. I'd try about 3/16 and run it around 125 maybe even 130 I welded a rip in one of those elevators that takes supplies up the outside of a building last week I actually ground a gap ran it about 125 on my ranger it welded up pretty slick . Hope this helps good luck.

Comment

Very Different !!

Originally posted by stick man View Post
                            Hey norm what I have found they seem to run better with a big gap some place for it to go. I'd try about 3/16 and run it around 125 maybe even 130 I welded a rip in one of those elevators that takes supplies up the outside of a building last week I actually ground a gap ran it about 125 on my ranger it welded up pretty slick . Hope this helps good luck.
                            stickman , Thanks; Ya that's what I found as well, a Larger gap than I would normally use on say a 1/8th" E-7018 rod !

It's going to take a bit of getting used to , for sure !!

............ Norm

Comment

Norm the reason hardly no one is answering your questions is because you are now the most exp. guy here with those rods
                              I think they should be GOLD for what they get for them.
                              I say tune on yer spoolgun and get good with that.
                              I was just looking at your sig....when did you get the Outback??

Back to those rods...we had some I used in the Army that had TAN colored flux. They welded fine. I've never seen them again. Just the white and blue ones.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I would forego the preheating. 1/8" isn't thick enough to need it with tig or mig. I don't see where stick would be any different.
                                Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                                Millermatic175
                                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                                HTP MIG200
                                PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                                ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                                Purox oxy/ace
                                Jackson EQC
                                -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                                -LoadNGo utility bed