Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4043 Rods ?

Hello Gents; Question ;

How many have used 4043 Welding Rods before ? ( SMAW )
    If so how are they for welding 1/4' plate to plate ?
    Is there anything I should know before I go ahead with this small job ?

A friend is comming over Wed., I don't know quite what the job is ?

Any Tips, Knowledge, greatly recieved .

PS. , I have a spool gun that I can't quite figure out let. Hence the 4043 Electrodes that are new to me as well !

............ Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Norm,
    Straight from Alcoa:
    Electrode angle is 90 degrees
    No weaving of any kind
    Break the flux off the end before striking
    I even have a '40's technical video from Alcoa on the subject, so there ya go, right from THE source.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

S.M.A.W. Aluminum ?

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
      Norm,
      Straight from Alcoa:
      Electrode angle is 90 degrees
      No weaving of any kind
      Break the flux off the end before striking
      I even have a '40's technical video from Alcoa on the subject, so there ya go, right from THE source.
      Aaron Thanks; that's what I needed, also I'll have to play around with the amps. I guess ? I bought some 1/8' E4043 electrodes, I wonder if they would be similar to 1/8' 7018's in Amps. to weld ?

Also I heard using aluminum Mig you have to go real fast, the same with stick I wonder ?

Thanks Aaron, Any more Info is welcome !

................. Norm
      Aaron, I'd love to see that Video !!!
      Last edited by nfinch86; 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Norm,
        Amperage is higher than for steel, obviously. Yes it moves fast, you just need to watch for it and keep up. 1/4" single pass is no issue, for multiple pass you must clean the flux off between passes. Practice is a must first, dont expect to even do an acceptable job unless you put in some helmet time.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
        Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
        Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

S.M.A.W. Aluminum ?

Aaron Thanks; I'll see if I can get some Aluminum scrap pieces from work tomorrow. He's not comming over till Wed., so I can practice after I get home from work Tuesday .

I'd love to see that video !

Thanks;
          .............. Norm

Comment

Norm, what is wrong with your spool gun?

No need to go blazing fast with aluminum if you dial it down to a comfortable level.
            Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
            Millermatic175
            MillermaticPassport/Q300
            HTP MIG200
            PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
            ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
            Purox oxy/ace
            Jackson EQC
            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
            -LoadNGo utility bed
            -Bobcat 250NT
            -PassportPlus/Q300
            -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
            -Smith oxy/propane
            -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
              Norm, what is wrong with your spool gun?

No need to go blazing fast with aluminum if you dial it down to a comfortable level.
              Hi; Well I only tried it a few times, and the closest thing I can compare it to is my Plasma Cutter !! I tried it a few times on some 1/8th'' Al. plate.
              It cut through that plate like a plasma cutter !!

Since then I've been quite busy and have not tried it again ! I'll bring it out again to try it soon !

.............. Norm

Comment

Are you using DCEP (reverse polarity)?

Straight polarity or AC will not work.

Also, try sacrificing one of the rods to get the flux off. Make a paste of that flux using a small amount of clean water and use it to clean the base metal with a stainless steel brush.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/vid_alcoa.php

Here ya go. You can watch some of the most beautiful aluminum welding ever caught on film. It may be an eye opener for some of you

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
                  Motor-Guard stud welder

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                    Hi; Well I only tried it a few times, and the closest thing I can compare it to is my Plasma Cutter !! I tried it a few times on some 1/8th'' Al. plate.
                    It cut through that plate like a plasma cutter !!

Since then I've been quite busy and have not tried it again ! I'll bring it out again to try it soon !

.............. Norm
                    Wow, turn that thing down, way too hot. Like Bodybagger said, use reverse polarity. For .035 4043 wire, set 21 volts and 350 ipm to start, adjust from there.
                    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                    Millermatic175
                    MillermaticPassport/Q300
                    HTP MIG200
                    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                    Purox oxy/ace
                    Jackson EQC
                    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                    -LoadNGo utility bed
                    -Bobcat 250NT
                    -PassportPlus/Q300
                    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                    -Smith oxy/propane
                    -Jackson EQC

Comment

E4043 Electrodes ?

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
                      Wow, turn that thing down, way too hot. Like Bodybagger said, use reverse polarity. For .035 4043 wire, set 21 volts and 350 ipm to start, adjust from there.
                      Desert, B.B, Aaron; Thanks guys, I'll have to check it out . I pretty sure I ran it on DCEP., But will give it another try !

For now I'm going to try to weld these 1/4" plates with E4043 S.M.A.W. , as I stated earlier , also new to me ?
                      Rod 90* to the plate and No Weaving ! I'll try to get some Aluminum pieces from work today, to try tonight !

Thanks for the Info guys; ................... Norm

Comment

Burn them rods hot and fast, not really that difficult with a little practice.

Like was already mentioned, 90 degrees, no weave, dcep. Flux can be a bit of a pain to remove at times, it kinda looks like white plastic. Keep the rods stored in a dry, air tight container, the flux will turn to goo with any kind of humidity.

Once you get the hang of it, it really lays out a beautiful looking bead. Post some pictures of your progress.
                        If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                        Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

S.M.A.W. Aluminum ?

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                          Burn them rods hot and fast, not really that difficult with a little practice.

Like was already mentioned, 90 degrees, no weave, dcep. Flux can be a bit of a pain to remove at times, it kinda looks like white plastic. Keep the rods stored in a dry, air tight container, the flux will turn to goo with any kind of humidity.

Once you get the hang of it, it really lays out a beautiful looking bead. Post some pictures of your progress.
                          dabar39; Thanks, The rods are new, should I put them in the oven for an hour or so?
                          The flux is hard to remove? Can you scratch it on a file lightly to remove the flux on the end ?
                          Hot & Fast, OK, 1/8" rods 125-135 amps. ?

Thanks I'll see if I can figure out how to post any Pics. !!

..................... Norm

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                            dabar39; Thanks, The rods are new, should I put them in the oven for an hour or so?
                            The flux is hard to remove? Can you scratch it on a file lightly to remove the flux on the end ?
                            Hot & Fast, OK, 1/8" rods 125-135 amps. ?

Thanks I'll see if I can figure out how to post any Pics. !!

..................... Norm
                            Norm,
                            Just break the tip of the flux off with your finger, dont EVER touch it with a dirty ol file. After your done welding flux removal usually involves a hot bucket of water and a stainless brush. Or a power stainless brush.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                            Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
                            Motor-Guard stud welder

Comment

Aluminum S.M.A.W. !!

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                              Norm,
                              Just break the tip of the flux off with your finger, dont EVER touch it with a dirty ol file. After your done welding flux removal usually involves a hot bucket of water and a stainless brush. Or a power stainless brush.
                              Aaron; A hot bucket of water?? Is the flux that hard to remove ?

Power stainless brush would be nice ! If I could find one ?
                              Those Zirconium disks are nice as well !
                              I'll keep you up to speed as this goes along .

Thanks again; ............... Norm :

Comment

Working...
                              X