different shades for fixed shaded helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different shades for fixed shaded helmets

Can you buy different shades if you have a fixed #10 shade helmet? Like #9,11,12,13? Or would I be better off buying a autodark helmet?

Olddeadone, the answer is yes, I have never seen a 13, but there is a 14...you can also get gold reflective, which gives you a more natural color with no green, and it helps with the IR reduction, which makes it cooler, and the 14 I have has a silver/aluminum? reflective coating to add more density I suppose, hope this helps,Paul
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Yes, they are available, but an auto dark helmet is easier to change when doing different jobs. It also lets you easily see where you are about to strike the arc.

There are all kinds and prices of auto dark helmets available, with many different features. Price tends to equal quality, but is not an exact ratio. The best way to decide is to try as many types as you can find, and then make your own decision on which one is best for you. Don't buy the cheapest one that you can find. Your eyes will thank you for buying a good one. We use Miller Digital Elites almost exclusively now, and won't be going back to the cheaper stuff. The Elites are the best that we've found.

Charley
      2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
      2 O/A torch sets
      DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
      DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
      DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
      Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
      Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
      Milwaukee 9" Grinder
      2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
      Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
      Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
      Too many hand tools

Comment

Any shade you want is available. I use 10 through 13 & switch out when needed.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

yes you can get just about any shade you want, check with your local ws store and they should be able to help if your not sure what shade you may need for the work your doing.

I have an 8 in mine but I've used it along time so I'm use to it, but would not suggest someone else to us this shade just starting out in welding.
          Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
          RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
          Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
          Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
          DeWalt chop saw-(home)
          Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
          Lincoln 225 arc welder
          Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
          assortment bar clamps

Comment

"Shades"

Originally posted by OldDeadOne View Post
            Can you buy different shades if you have a fixed #10 shade helmet? Like #9,11,12,13? Or would I be better off buying a autodark helmet?
            Keep in mind, shade numbers are based on ARC CURRENT.

#10 is the most common, as it covers 60-160 amps for most processes.

From 160 and up to 250 a #12, and over 500 amps, a #14 (also used by scientists when viewing solar eclipses).

For O/A cutting and welding, a #5 will suffice, and plasma cutting, a #8 for under 300 amps.

It depends on how many times you need to change, how quickly, and how much money you want or have to spend.

Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I use a 10 for most any tig stick and my MM135, and I have a 13 I pop in when I'm using my MM250 with .035 and .045 dual shield, or gouging...those are freakin bright

Comment

Originally posted by OldDeadOne View Post
                With a question like this there is no doubt you don’t have enough miles on you to appreciate the lenses we had in the 1960’s and 70’s.
                These are nowhere near the quality of the “Cool Blue” but substantially better than the China crap that impersonates a welding lens that seems to be in ample supply at every welding supply you go! These are made from German glass! The gold lenses are the best $20.00 I’ve spent on welding equipment in years.

http://www.phillips-safety.com/Weldi...Welding-Lenses
                Last edited by Sonora Iron; 09-21-2009, 05:11 PM.
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Working...
                X