Why Miller over Lincoln?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Miller over Lincoln?!

I just want some first hand experience of why Miller is the machines to go with. Are there any problems with lincolns? whats the deal?

I have both but there is always the Lincoln and the VW.....High end machine i would go with Miller
    2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
    1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
    Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
    XMT 304 cc cv
    Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
    Miller 30A
    1ea X-Treme 12vs
    2ea Miller 12Rc
    Miller 24 A
    Miller 330 a/bp tig
    Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
    Millermatic 180
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
    Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
    2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
    2ea Powermax 1000
    1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

Comment

Well pretty much any plug in (static)Tig, Mig, or stick machine under 600 amps (other than specifics I like) that Lincoln puts out is far behind the technologcal advances of Miller.

Miller simply put makes a much better Static machine by far, where as Lincoln makes a heck of an Engine drive, Miller for the most part does not.
      Last edited by cruizer; 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I don't know much about Lincoln, as I've welded with and owned mostly Blue equipment. Miller has great factory and dealer support for their machines. The whole family of ITW brand names have great customer support. Especially Miller, Bernard and Hobart, they are very good companies to deal with.
        Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
        Millermatic175
        MillermaticPassport/Q300
        HTP MIG200
        PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
        ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
        DialarcHF, Radiator-1
        Hypertherm PowerMax 380
        Purox oxy/ace
        Jackson EQC
        -F350 CrewCab 4x4
        -LoadNGo utility bed
        -Bobcat 250NT
        -PassportPlus/Q300
        -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
        -Suitcase8RC/Q400
        -Suitcase12RC/Q300
        -Smith oxy/propane
        -Jackson EQC

Comment

couldnt have said it better

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
          I don't know much about Lincoln, as I've welded with and owned mostly Blue equipment. Miller has great factory and dealer support for their machines. The whole family of ITW brand names have great customer support. Especially Miller, Bernard and Hobart, they are very good companies to deal with.
          ITW across the board makes sure for the most part that there entire family keep s up woht quaility products and also suport.

However there is somthign about the companies in Appleton WI. that sets them above the rest. The product fit and finish and relaibility of Miller in my opinion seems to be second to none. The support for them also is above grade. While I have no problems with lincoln and have owned a few, once I went with Miller I never had any reason to look elsewhere.
          Every question in life has an answer of

YES OR NO

Maybe = NO

Keep life simple and enjoy it!

Comment

Speaking of Hobart

FYI: Hobart's debut of their new Champion Elite 10,000 is set for the end of this week.

It closely resembles the Miller Bobcat 225, but without CV output. An AC/DC 225 amp CC engine drive.

Lot's of auxillary power.

Can check it out at Northern Tool's website.

Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Why Not????

Back in the day miller was famous for building great tig and mig machines and not so great or a reputation with stick. Lincoln on the other hand was the opposite Great stick machines but mig and tig fell by the way side.
              I did however like the new Lincoln tig we tested a few years back, It had a few settings on it that made it more forgiving to a novice.
              Last edited by kcstott; 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM.
              Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
              Millermatic 252 on the wish list
              Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
              South bend lathe 10LX40
              K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
              Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
              A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
              Auto shades are for rookies
              www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Well pretty much any plug in (static)Tig, Mig, or stick machine under 600 amps (other than specifics I like) that Lincoln puts out is pretty much crap comparing to any static Miller.

Miller simply put makes a much better Static machine by far, where as Lincoln makes a heck of an Engine drive, Miller for the most part does not.
                I agree everything that stays at the shop is blue everything that leaves the shop or rides on the rigs is RED or GRAY.

Comment

I like both Lincoln and Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                    Back in the day miller was famous for building great tig and mig machines and not so great or a reputation with stick. Lincoln on the other hand was the opposite Great stick machines but mig and tig fell by the way side.

I did however like the new Lincoln tig we tested a few years back, It had a few settings on it that made it more forgiving to a novice.
                    Hmmm. Free enterprise and competition seem to be working.
                    Let's hope no one in Washington DC is reading this ... they
                    might try to "fix" it

Frank

Comment

I am in the rental and repair business. My rental equipment is all Miller. Most of the equipment that I get in for repair is Miller also. I don't know if that is because Miller sells more equipment than Lincoln or if Lincoln holds up better than Miller. One thing that I do like about most of the newer Lincoln machines is that you can hook a laptop up to them and they will tell you exactly what is wrong with them and everything that has went wrong with them since last time they were in the shop. It saves on down time which most of my customers are interested in. Plus, it takes all of the guess work out of troubleshooting the problem.

Comment

I do blue

i might need to be corrected on this, as i have been told that miller winds their machines with copper and lincoln uses aluminum, this has always puzzled me if it is correct, as to miller i have srh 333 3 phase, dialarc 250, thunderbolt 150 dc, blue star 3500 and millermatic 200, knock on wood, i have never had a problem with any machine, ive bought blue for 25 yrs, will always buy blue

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                          Well pretty much any plug in (static)Tig, Mig, or stick machine under 600 amps (other than specifics I like) that Lincoln puts out is pretty much crap comparing to any static Miller.

So what specifics do you like? I expect some bias here, but to say anything red under 600 amps is crap is a little ridiculous.

Comment

BellaMachinery -

I did not know that you offer rental equipment. How much of your rental fleet is welding related?

Comment

I originally trained on Lincoln back in the day, and used diesel engine drive at one job I had that was beat to death and neglected but welded really good. On the other hand, after I bought my first blue machine, I was sold on Miller for life. That's all I have now except for a small red plasma cutter which is OK for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X