Owning My own rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning My own rig

Alright this is a newbie question but I have searched the forums and have not seen it.

When i own my own rig how is the pay different and how do companies hire people with there own tools?

Lots of that type of stuff will depend where you are located/ working.
    Post up and I'm sure someone in that general corner of the globe can give you a better idea.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Well I am in southeast Texas. lots of refinery work and pipeline. not sure what I want to do but it doesnt really matter at this point.

Comment

Well let us know when it matters and what you want to do and we will be happy to point you in the right direction.
        Last edited by Portable Welder; 09-16-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
          Well let us know when it matters and what you want to do and we will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Well said.

Wheelchair

Comment

idiot.

ok smart ***. I meant it doesnt matter what type of work I will be doing I just want to work. Instead of taking the time to type some smart *** comment why not take the time and answer my question. I Just want to know what the rate is for a welder with his own tools and if they rent ur rig out.. stuff like that.. is it really that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by DVSMP View Post
              ok smart ***. I meant it doesnt matter what type of work I will be doing I just want to work. Instead of taking the time to type some smart *** comment why not take the time and answer my question. I Just want to know what the rate is for a welder with his own tools and if they rent ur rig out.. stuff like that.. is it really that difficult.
              IT DEPENDS!! ON WHAT YOU DO AND WHERE YOU ARE AT! Instead of lashing out give a guy more info! You haven't said what you do that you just want to work .Do you have a ticket ? ect. Think about what people are saying before you act like a jerk!

Comment

garbage in, garbage out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                  IT DEPENDS!! ON WHAT YOU DO AND WHERE YOU ARE AT! Instead of lashing out give a guy more info! You haven't said what you do that you just want to work .Do you have a ticket ? ect. Think about what people are saying before you act like a jerk!

In my previous post.. I said im in Southeast Texas. refineries and pipeline work.... Just forget the whole post all together.

Comment

This is what comes to my pea sized brain.

Quit thinking like an employee and start thinking like a business owner.

When i own my own rig how is the pay different and how do companies hire people with there own tools?
                    When you are a business owner you don't get HIRED, you are told what work that needs to be done and you tell them how much you will do it for. This is the risk part of being self employed. The benefit part is you set your hours and rate of compensation.

Your previous outburst shows me that you are not mature enough to handle the information you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                      Your previous outburst shows me that you are not mature enough to handle the information you seek.
                      Well said FatFab.

If you want to know what they pay. Call and ask the companies in your area.

More importantly tho, you need to figure up what it will cost YOU to run a rig. People, especially younger people, get hung up on the high hourly pay. Just because a rig job pays 70 an hour doesn't mean much. I have made just as much working single hand for 28 an hour with little to no worries.
                      '08 F-350
                      Vantage 400
                      SA-250
                      SA-200
                      Invertec V350Pro
                      Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                      Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                      Track torch

Comment

Real World Answers

In order for us to answer your question (as you so eloquently stated) you need to give us a little (no, make that a lot) more information regarding your endeavors.

Your industrious attitude is admirable, but your defensiveness is not.

It makes it extremely difficult to zero in on a specific answer, as your question is too open-ended.

It VARIES, depending on Union vs. non union, vs. area of the Country, vs type of work (process, material type), level of experience (apprentice, journeyman).

So, if you're asking for a "benchmark" wage or rate, who knows, could be anywhere from minimum wage to $65/hr + per diem + rental rate.

In order to be successful, you'll need a business plan. An outline of achievable goals, with real world expenses considered and factored in.

The days of buying a truck "and going trucking," are now, studying the business first (regardless of type) then making the needed investments.

Having a rig is no guarantee of viable, long term employment. Always have a plan "B." Have several skills, at least your chances of steady employment are improved.

Hope this helps

Dave
                        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

In my previous post.. I said im in Southeast Texas. refineries and pipeline work.... Just forget the whole post all together.
                          You say refineries and pipeline work, fab ,mainline,structural steel, ect. Before you call people Idiot's you shouldn't ask such a generic question. You don't even know what you are trying to ask and getting mad at people that are trying to help understand what you are saying. Me I am not one of them, you've pizzed me off by calling a guy an Idiot. Find your own info it's a cutthroat occupation, so enjoy cutting your's!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                            You say refineries and pipeline work, fab ,mainline,structural steel, ect. Before you call people Idiot's you shouldn't ask such a generic question. You don't even know what you are trying to ask and getting mad at people that are trying to help understand what you are saying. Me I am not one of them, you've pizzed me off by calling a guy an Idiot. Find your own info it's a cutthroat occupation, so enjoy cutting your's!
                            lol good one Wicked one

Comment

Yes most companys rent your rig, because then you fall under theyre insurance.
                              sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Working...
                              X