Carbon arc cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon arc cutting

I have searched the Miller site and can't seem to find a carbon arc cutting attatchment for the Syncrowave 200 yet they advertise that the machine will do this process.Could someone point me in the right direction to find a properly sized unit for this machine? Thanks for the help.
    Harris welding torch
    Harris Cutting torch propane
    Syncrowave 200
    Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
    20 ton press
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
    Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
    3/4" Welding Table

http://store.cyberweld.com/arcaarcgotoc.html

Cyberweld sells them check it out
    Dynasty 200DX
    MillerMatic 211
    Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

ArcAir

http://www.thermadyne.com/arcair/content/view/84/243/

makes carbon arc gouging torches that can be used with any CC power supply. These can also be used for cutting.

A synchowave 200 might be a bit small, but check the website I listed above for the power requirements.

You'll also need the consumable carbon arc rods and a beefy compressed air supply.

Oh, and a way to manage all the molten dross blown out from the cut.
      Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
      www.bensonmobilewelding.com
      Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Comment

At 200 amps your going to be limited to a 3/16 carbon arc-rod at 40-80 lbs of air pressure,but you can always use a bigger air carbon gouging torch.I have 3 1000 amps running 5/16 and 3/8 carbon arc rods at 425-450 amps.Look at airgas Randor brand there cheap and are good
        2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
        1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
        Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
        XMT 304 cc cv
        Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
        Miller 30A
        1ea X-Treme 12vs
        2ea Miller 12Rc
        Miller 24 A
        Miller 330 a/bp tig
        Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
        Millermatic 180
        Millermatic 180 auto set
        Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
        Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
        2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
        2ea Powermax 1000
        1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

Comment

The Airgas Radnor brand of carbon arc torches are made by Thermadyne and are the same as the ArcAir torches, just a little less money.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

Uhmm? Just a guess here but, If your not sure were to get a torch, I'm guessing you don't have much experiance with Carbon arc cutting or gouging.

CA-gouging is a very useful process that has probably saved billions of man hours over the years.

CA-cutting on the other hand not so much. Its not as procices as a O/A torch or plasma. There is more fumes, sparks, noise, and heat. I consider it to be like oxy fuel welding, a non critical, last resort. I also would not suggest using a syncrowave of an size for arc gouging or cutting. Syncrowaves aren't built for gouging thier built for Tig welding.

For the price of a gouging rig you can buy a nice small torch set.

These are just my thoughts, take it or leave it. good luck
            '08 F-350
            Vantage 400
            SA-250
            SA-200
            Invertec V350Pro
            Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
            Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
            Track torch

Comment

Carbon Arc

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
              Uhmm? Just a guess here but, If your not sure were to get a torch, I'm guessing you don't have much experiance with Carbon arc cutting or gouging.

CA-gouging is a very useful process that has probably saved billions of man hours over the years.

CA-cutting on the other hand not so much. Its not as procices as a O/A torch or plasma. There is more fumes, sparks, noise, and heat. I consider it to be like oxy fuel welding, a non critical, last resort. I also would not suggest using a syncrowave of an size for arc gouging or cutting. Syncrowaves aren't built for gouging thier built for Tig welding.

For the price of a gouging rig you can buy a nice small torch set.

These are just my thoughts, take it or leave it. good luck
              I was on the verge of writing a similar reply.

Dave
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I was kinda thinking that as well except I was more leaning towards not doing it with a 200 sync.
                I wouldn't have much problem with using this process on a 250+ syncro as long as it was only occasional and you made sure you had switched it over for the correct process. It is a MUCH bigger and better machine. But I am also fond of keeping my tig machine a nice and pristene as possible.
                Duty cycle during this would be a very good thing to have in your mind when doing this.
                Air arcing is cool but I don't see it happening for the 200 sync guy who is poficient at this already.
                And then again is this really any harder on a machine than HF tig welding at high amps??

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

in the ship yard the minimum size CA power supply is 400 amps and they go up from there.
                  Save your money and by a plasma It will be more versatile then a CA torch
                  Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                  Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                  Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                  South bend lathe 10LX40
                  K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                  Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                  A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                  Auto shades are for rookies
                  www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                    in the ship yard the minimum size CA power supply is 400 amps and they go up from there.
                    Save your money and by a plasma It will be more versatile then a CA torch
                    this I cannot dis-agree with.
                    CA is a big boy thing and left to the real shop IMO.
                    I only used it on big buckets etc. myself...not to get by without buying the correct equipment.
                    I say get an O/A torch.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Thanks for the replies they were very helpful.Now another question, CA cutting is a little to much for the syncrowave 200 but would the ocasional gougeing be to much?Like I said Miller advertises the machine will do this process I thought they may recomend a torch well suited for the machine.
                      Harris welding torch
                      Harris Cutting torch propane
                      Syncrowave 200
                      Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
                      20 ton press
                      Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
                      Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
                      3/4" Welding Table

Comment

Why not just search your local Craig’s list, or tool auctions for an old transformer machine, you know the ones that are worth more for the copper in them than there value as a welding machine. If you happen to have 3-phase, you can really get some good deals!
                        Caution!
                        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Gouging can be done over a wide range of amperages, and duty cycles.
                          I've been places where they ran 600 amp Lincoln motor drives maxed out 24 hours a day (2 12 hour shifts) gouging liners out of 300 ton haul trucks and shovel dippers.
                          I also know people who gouge with old Lincoln SA-200's (for decades), using smaller carbons and in a much more precise manner, removing wear material and tooth adapters and such. I've gouged with a SA-200 and never came close to maxing out the knobs, I ran it at the same settings I used for 3/16" LoHi rod.
                          It just depends on how much you have to do.
                          Small to medium jobs are easily done with machines well under 400 amps.
                          Very precise weld removal can be done pretty quickly with low amperage, small carbons, and a relatively small machine.
                          I've also never seen a Lincoln engine drive damaged by prudent gouging, if anything it's good for those machines to work hard.
                          So really there are applications where a 500 amp machine is just not enough, and there are applications where a 200 amp machine is more than enough.
                          Same goes for air compressors, a lot of high quality gouging can be done with a relatively small air compressor (I've used cheap 5 hp engine drive compressors), in other situations a large industrial IR will be hard pressed to keep up.
                          Like most things in life (and welding) you gotta have a little perspective on your situation.

JTMcC.
                          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                            Gouging can be done over a wide range of amperages, and duty cycles.
                            I've been places where they ran 600 amp Lincoln motor drives maxed out 24 hours a day (2 12 hour shifts) gouging liners out of 300 ton haul trucks and shovel dippers.
                            I also know people who gouge with old Lincoln SA-200's (for decades), using smaller carbons and in a much more precise manner, removing wear material and tooth adapters and such. I've gouged with a SA-200 and never came close to maxing out the knobs, I ran it at the same settings I used for 3/16" LoHi rod.
                            It just depends on how much you have to do.
                            Small to medium jobs are easily done with machines well under 400 amps.
                            Very precise weld removal can be done pretty quickly with low amperage, small carbons, and a relatively small machine.
                            I've also never seen a Lincoln engine drive damaged by prudent gouging, if anything it's good for those machines to work hard.
                            So really there are applications where a 500 amp machine is just not enough, and there are applications where a 200 amp machine is more than enough.
                            Same goes for air compressors, a lot of high quality gouging can be done with a relatively small air compressor (I've used cheap 5 hp engine drive compressors), in other situations a large industrial IR will be hard pressed to keep up.
                            Like most things in life (and welding) you gotta have a little perspective on your situation.

JTMcC.
                            Thanks JT...great answer IMO.
                            It's been years since my limited use of this process happened. I thought it was cool. But once people found I could weld aluminum, I was always shoved right to that pretty quickly.
                            Steel has become nothing but hobby/maintenance anymore.
                            I might just steel a few rods from the LWS and play.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Ca

A Carbon-Arc is great for blowing off weld and also for cutting out cracks in metal for the weld process....but on a 200-250 amp engine drive run it 12 hours at full amps and the solder will go on the rotor,Not to say you can't do it on a less duty cycle.
                              2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
                              1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
                              Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
                              XMT 304 cc cv
                              Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
                              Miller 30A
                              1ea X-Treme 12vs
                              2ea Miller 12Rc
                              Miller 24 A
                              Miller 330 a/bp tig
                              Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
                              Millermatic 180