Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlpck
    replied
    Wire feed will be more efficient almost all of the time, in terms of the filler.

Stick (SMAW) can be more cost effective on the job, in some cases, as the setup and prep costs can be lower.

Example: on a repair where only a pound or two of filler are needed, in an awkward location, I can drag leads or a portable inverter to the location and be welding right away. If I use wire feed, I need to get the feeder in, which is usually more time consuming. Time is money, and for a ten minute job, the stick is more efficient.

Example: running 50ft of full pen butt welds on 1/2 material: wire feed all the way. The much higher deposition rate compared to stick more than makes up for the increased time and hassle getting the gear in pretty much any location.

It depends on the situation. In production work, wire feed (solid or flux core) will almost always win on any measure (speed, total cost, etc) Site work involves factors such as accessibility that influence setup time and cleanup time that often favor stick.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    Deposition efficiency of 7018 is about 70% including stub loss. So in your 50 lb box of electrodes, 15 lb gets chipped away as slag, thrown away as stubs, swept off the floor as dust, or ground off as spatter.

For E71T11 it's more like 80-85% efficiency... 7.5-10 lb goes poof.

But there's a hidden advantage. A joint prepped for FCAW can have a narrower groove, requiring less filler metal.

So you get a double whammy advantage... so to speak.

It is safe to say you can complete a greater length of weld with FCAW than with SMAW.

But can you weld more stuff with it?

No. SMAW can do a few things FCAW can't (or at least, what it wasn't meant for).

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Fluxcore is more cost/time efficient than stick for the same reasons as solid wire is, though to a slightly lesser degree because of the flux inside the wire and having to chip the slag after each pass.

Leave a comment:

• mccutter
    replied
    How about fluxcore vs stick? (fcaw vs smaw?)

Leave a comment:

• clifford544
    replied
    dumb question

thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Solid wire uses more of the weight of the wire in the weld. With stick rods, you're paying for the weight of the flux and stub ends you toss at the end of each rod. The only wire you lose is whatever is in the torch at the end of the roll and whatever you happen to clip off for whatever reason as you work with it.

Leave a comment:

• myistar
    replied
    depends on the deposition efficiency. I found some info on ESAB's site for 7018 Atom Arc Electrodes.

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson3_27.htm

Just find some on wire, and you should be able to compare, but my guess to your question would be the wire.

Leave a comment:

• clifford544
    started a topic dumb question

dumb question

could i weld more with a 50lb roll of wire or rods
Working...
X