Welding forklift forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding forklift forks?

Has anyone successfully weld repaired a broken fork? I broke a fork today on my tractor. The tractor weighs roughly 8,000lbs and a careless move on my part put a backwards prying type of force one of the forks. Anyways, it broke clean off, sounded like a gun shot when it went too. It broke up above the bend. I'd like to weld it back up, but being a spring type of steel I'm not sure if it will hold together, and I don't want to fix something just to have it come apart again, possibly making for a dangerous scenario.

Thanks in advance.
    hre

I have had great success at welding forks. The biggest was for a 966 loader, and quite a few smaller warehouse types. I have a PDF file on how to weld T-1, but I don’t know how to post it. Here is a link to Lincoln’s site.
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...t/20faq.asp#11
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Howdy Coalsmoke!!

I know they SELL weld on forks. Don't know about yours tho.
      You may have to play a bit

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

So i welded one for a cat 950f a few months back for a former employer and its still running strong. but thats just me im sure more experienced welders will chime in with more correct info.
        Syncrowave 250
        Millermatic 210
        dialarc 250
        spectrum 375x
        trailblazer 302
        Lincoln 135

Comment

I did about 6 of them 30 years ago. They always seemed to break in the winter at my uncles sawmill. Vee then to a point and weld them with 7018. Never had one i repaired break. But would i do one today with all the wack job sue happy people, not a chance. I just turned down a set the guy wanted modified...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
            Vee then to a point and weld them with 7018.
            That is interesting, I never would have thought of 7018! I always used 110-18. Preheat to 300°, peen each weld and wrap with insulation, to let cool as slow as possible.
            Caution!

Comment

For some reason I thought forks were of a spring type of steel, not just T1. If they're T1 then I've got this cat by the tail

Thanks for the input, its appreciated. AA, that's how I broke this one, moving a log at my mill, and it got me thinking, that they would be even easier to break come winter.
              hre

Comment

When i worked for my father years ago there was only one rod we used in the shop. And 7018 was it. My uncles forks were 3" thick and about 8" wide. We torched the vee and tacked them square then ran an angle brace to keep them from pulling. Some pre heat and about 4 or 5 hours of welding welding one side then flipping to the other. I saw some that had been there at the sawmill 15 years later and they were still fine...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

You’re correct, it is a sue happy world! One has to pick his battles / projects.
                  Caution!

Comment

Osha and Cal osha strictly prohibit welding or drilling holes in the forks.
                    As quoted from Osha
                    Modifications and additions which affect capacity and safe operation shall not be performed by the customer or user without manufacturers prior written approval. Capacity, operation, and maintenance instruction plates, tags, or decals shall be changed accordingly.

I can't believe you guys would even consider welding a fork back together Thats just asking for trouble.
                    Our company just had a technician killed by a fork lift that failed. The only thing the tech did wrong was stand to close to the load when the lift did fail But how often does that happen.
                    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                    South bend lathe 10LX40
                    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                    Auto shades are for rookies
                    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                      Osha and Cal osha strictly prohibit welding or drilling holes in the forks.
                      As quoted from Osha
                      Modifications and additions which affect capacity and safe operation shall not be performed by the customer or user without manufacturers prior written approval. Capacity, operation, and maintenance instruction plates, tags, or decals shall be changed accordingly.

I can't believe you guys would even consider welding a fork back together Thats just asking for trouble.
                      Our company just had a technician killed by a fork lift that failed. The only thing the tech did wrong was stand to close to the load when the lift did fail But how often does that happen.
                      My biggest fear in life is not working 3 or 400 feet in the air; it’s them darn LA freeways!
                      Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        My biggest fear in life is not working 3 or 400 feet in the air; it’s them darn LA freeways!
                        Louisiana or Los Angles???
                        South bend lathe 10LX40
                        www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Louisiana or Los Angles???
                          Caution!

Comment

I wouldn't even consider it...
                            Bobcat 225NT
                            Cutmaster 52
                            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                            Caterpillar TH63
                            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                              I wouldn't even consider it...
                              Well said.

I understand that some would like to do this for the sake of it being their own equipment or other reasons. I just look at it this way If there was ever an incident Osha would for sure notice the weld on the fork even if it had nothing to do with what happened. Plus i would never trust that fork again
                              South bend lathe 10LX40
                              www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X