Boat trailer tongue repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat trailer tongue repair

My neighbor's son jack knived his Father's boat trailer. The damage, as seen in these pictures, is approximately 18 inches aft of the hitch. The tongue is 3 inch square box tube. The Dad thinks all we need to do is get it red hot and beat it back into shape with a hammer or put it on a frame machine and force it back into shape. In my opinion, all it is going to do is buckle it in another direction. Correct me, if I am wrong, but these are my ideas for repair;
    Cut through the top, which is pushed down now approx 1/4 to 3/8 below the top level of the tube. As seen in the pics, the left side of the box is pushed outward considerably. I am thinking, slicing vertically through that. The bottom is pushed up slightly. By slicing the top and slicing the left side which is buckeled out, I may be able to straighten the tongue somewhat. I may need to cut away the buckled out portions. I think once the tongue is reasonably straight and the outward parts beat back in with no heat, I think the top and both sides need to have plates welded to them for added support. In my understanding, there should be no vertical welding, but weld the side plates on only the top and bottom going horizontally and the plates should be considerably longer than the damaged area. Now those are my ideas. I need advice from the pros, such as Dabar to give me guidance to make the proper repairs. I told the guy that to heat it and beat it back into shape would only weaken that point of the tongue. Pictures to follow.
    The tongue being 3 in square is less than 1/8 in thick.
    What would be the recommended thickness to sideplate the tongue? I will be using a MIG welder; if I do this at all.
    Attached Files
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

How long is that hitch in total Monte? If it is only 8 or 9 ft. I would just replace the whole tube with 3 X 3 X.188 sq. tube. Our experience is he gets a better hitch , Removes any doubt about the repair & after considering your labour ,not much difference in price.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Heating it up and bending it back is a band aid at best. The section needs to be replaced or as you have stated cut it open, straighten and weld plate over the top.
      1/8" plate would do.
      Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
      Millermatic 252 on the wish list
      Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
      South bend lathe 10LX40
      K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
      Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
      A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
      Auto shades are for rookies
      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

The tongue tube should be replaced. Use HSS 3"x3"x1/8" to maintain the same size as the last one. Nominal compression rating (LRFD) for 36" kl is 50,600 lb. Drop down to 2"x2"x1/8" and nominal compression is 29,900 lb for 36" kl.

Huge overkill, but you have 1/8" of meat to weld to.

I would not be involved in any repair that re-uses the damaged tongue.

On a side not, I recommend replacing that jack with a different type, or welding the retaining ring on. Had 2 of those fail well under the rated load when the retaining ring popped off. One resulted in no injuries. Second one allowed the tongue to fall on a worker's leg, trapping him and cutting it to the bone. Tongue weight at time of the accident was 214lb, which is heavy to lift by hand and impossible to lift off with your ankle pinned under it.

Oh, and the rating on those jacks is 1000lb.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

So far I think both of you guys are on the money. I checked my local supplier
          and can get 24' of 3" square .120 wall for $67. If I take his off...duplicate the
          holes, prime and paint.........reassemble....he will have a much better repair.
          The wheels are a ways back and I feel a lot of stress on the tongue with all the banging around. He said the trailer is way overbuilt for his boat weight. I then ask him what if someone later puts a heavier boat on it. Who needs the
          liability? I looked for a sticker indicating load weight and didn't find any. All I found was a model number.
          Nick
          Nick
          Miller 252 Mig
          Miller Cricket XL
          Millermatic 150 Mig
          2-O/A outfits
          Jet Lathe and Mill
          Propane Forge

Comment

At least there are no hydraulic surge brakes to worry about. Our boat trailer has a steel sleeve that slides over the 3 inch square and is welded on, with an actuator assembly that mounts/slides inside, and has the actual hitch.

While I like the idea of pricing out a complete replacement tube, I don't know that it actually saves any labor by the time you consider cutting the places it attaches to the rest of the trailer, and welding the new tube in.

Part of me would be tempted to cut out a three inch section, and prepare a replacement three inch section that has four 17 inch long 1/8x2 straps plug welded inside, one on each side of the tube. Then drill a suitable pattern of half inch holes down the first 6 inches of each end of the existing tube to plug weld these straps to the existing tube.. I think it is a bit more work but should provide a pretty clean looking repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
              The tongue tube should be replaced. Use HSS 3"x3"x1/8" to maintain the same size as the last one. Nominal compression rating (LRFD) for 36" kl is 50,600 lb. Drop down to 2"x2"x1/8" and nominal compression is 29,900 lb for 36" kl.

Huge overkill, but you have 1/8" of meat to weld to.

I would not be involved in any repair that re-uses the damaged tongue.

On a side not, I recommend replacing that jack with a different type, or welding the retaining ring on. Had 2 of those fail well under the rated load when the retaining ring popped off. One resulted in no injuries. Second one allowed the tongue to fall on a worker's leg, trapping him and cutting it to the bone. Tongue weight at time of the accident was 214lb, which is heavy to lift by hand and impossible to lift off with your ankle pinned under it.

Oh, and the rating on those jacks is 1000lb.
              What do you mean HSS. To me that means High speed steel. What am I missing? What retaining ring are you reffering to. This tongue is bolted on and I belive if a bolt is removed, it can be tilted.
              Nick
              Nick
              Miller 252 Mig
              Miller Cricket XL
              Millermatic 150 Mig
              2-O/A outfits
              Jet Lathe and Mill
              Propane Forge

Comment

If a customer came to me with that and asked me to heat it up and beat it back into shape I would tell him no thanks. I would offer to replace it with a new tube or not do the repair at all.

I would also go up a size in wall thickeness to prevent it from happening again and use pre-galvanized tube, if available.
                Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                Millermatic175
                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                HTP MIG200
                PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                Purox oxy/ace
                Jackson EQC
                -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                -LoadNGo utility bed
                -Bobcat 250NT
                -PassportPlus/Q300
                -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                -Smith oxy/propane
                -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
                  If a customer came to me with that and asked me to heat it up and beat it back into shape I would tell him no thanks. I would offer to replace it with a new tube or not do the repair at all.

I would also go up a size in wall thickeness to prevent it from happening again and use pre-galvanized tube, if available.
                  Yeah, if the OP has a boat trailer place close to him they will have a galv replacement tongue piece to sell as a replacement. Same as an axle, springs or whatever.
                  My boat trailer is a McClain and is galvanized because the boat is a salt water craft. McClain has a shop in Houston and I have bought almost every piece for that trailer at different times over the past 35 years I have owned the boat....... pg
                  Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
                  Coolmate 3
                  MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                  HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
                  Victor O/A Rig
                  Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
                  10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
                  Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
                  Baldor 10 inch Buffer
                  Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
                  Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
                  Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
                  Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
                  Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

Monte,

You've already gotten the right advice. Replace the tube.

Scabbing it up is asking for trouble. Plus, total liability would rest with you.

Nuff said.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                      What do you mean HSS. To me that means High speed steel. What am I missing? What retaining ring are you reffering to. This tongue is bolted on and I belive if a bolt is removed, it can be tilted.
                      Nick
                      HSS = Hollow Structural Shape

I believe the retaining ring he refers to is the U bolts that hold the jack on..... I hate swinging jacks as well.... All of my trailers have A-frame tongues...

I'd definitely replace the entire tube as well...
                      Last edited by bretsk2500; 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM.
                      Bobcat 225NT
                      Cutmaster 52
                      Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                      Caterpillar TH63
                      '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

The retaining ring he is talking about is the swivel/pivot that the jack utilizes to swing up on.
                        I see hundreds of them and truthfully not very many failures except for the castor part around the wheels.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I had one of those jacks swing up by itself the other day. Fortunately, it was on a very small boat trailer and nothing happened, but it did make me jump back right quick!
                          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                          Millermatic175
                          MillermaticPassport/Q300
                          HTP MIG200
                          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                          Purox oxy/ace
                          Jackson EQC
                          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                          -LoadNGo utility bed
                          -Bobcat 250NT
                          -PassportPlus/Q300
                          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                          -Smith oxy/propane
                          -Jackson EQC

Comment

Stupid Jack!!!
                            I guess I am simply used to them.
                            Everybody uses them it seems and I just have grown accustomed to them.
                            On a boat trailer about anything else doesn't function quite as well.
                            BTW Monte...I would chop out the whole piece as well but I already see that's what you are planning.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                              What retaining ring are you reffering to. This tongue is bolted on and I belive if a bolt is removed, it can be tilted.
                              Nick
                              The body of the jack has a plate with (approximately) a 2" diameter hole. The mounting bracket has a 2" diameter tube with a retaining ring groove cut into it.

The body of the jack slides onto the tube and the retaining ring is all that keeps the jack from popping off. There is a spring-loaded pin that allows the user to pull the pin and rotate the jack up, to swing it out of the way.

What happened in both cases was that while a person was raising the jack, the retaining ring popped off, allowing the jack to kick under the tongue, tipping the tongue toward the user as it fell.

In the one that resulted in the injury, I took photos while weighing the tongue, showing the actual tongue weight, position the jack kicked in toward, where it landed, etc.

This pic pretty much says it all. The displaced gravel was from the injured worker trying to free himself, which actually caused the angle sections to cut deeper into his leg. What the picture doesn't show is the wound and the sounds he made when it happened.

And here you can see the deformation of the retaining ring.

After this, I put a small weld bead around the retaining ring on the one trailer (of 3) that hadn't failed yet, and have since never purchased any Reese Towpower jacks. Now I put Bulldog jacks on trailers.

Given the tongue weight being well within the limit, and the level of injury from that weight being so significant, I recommend either welding the ring or replacing the jack with a different type.
                              Attached Files

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                              Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                              "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                              "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                              "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Working...
                              X