Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipe

Hey,

I'm planning on installing a Magnaflow Stainless Steel (304) exhaust system for my Dodge Cummins. I am going to buy a 2 lb spool of 308L SS wire (about $20) and use one of my wire welders (Miller 251, Miller Vintage, Hobart 140) to weld it up instead of using the stupid clamps.

My question is can I use my standard 75/25 gas or am I going to need to use a tri-mix or straight agon????

I don't want it to rust as that is why I am dishing out the $$$$$$ for the stainless setup!!!!! It isn't going to be X-Rayed or anything, and I know I can just use mild steel wire to weld it, but that will rust!!!!

I have argon off of my TIG so that would be ok, but the tri-mix isn't cheap and I don't plan to weld that much SS with the wire feed. I usually use my TIG for SS but that would be a huge pain is the @$$!!!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Winslow

you should be able to rent a small bottle of tri-mix from your LWS... it's what I do in the rare times I have to weld stainless. Buuuuut.... before you weld your whole exhaust system, you might want to consider ease of service... it would suck to have to cut your exhaust out when something on the truck needs to be repaired....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

mig ss

I was told by the pipe welder at work that you can get s.s. flux core self shielding wire but he didn't know if you could get it in small enough diameter to weld exhaust pipe. No gas required.

Comment

stainless exhaust system

I always tigged mine and used straight argon and purged the system as well.
        I made mine from 304 stainless tube.
        I have been a tig welder for years in the dairy and bakery industries, stainless will crack if its not welded properly. mig may be OK but tig would be better and be sure to get 100% penetration.
        I had stainless on three different vehicles and never a problem.
        mike sr

Comment

Hey,

This is an exhaust system, not gas line pipe!!!! 100% penetration isn't really necessary, and it seems like it would be a pain to get the TIG under the truck, on your back, just to weld it up. I've seem guys just use regular mild steel wire on stainless and never have a problem other than rust!!!!! Ya you get a little sugar in the weld, but it's not going to fall off!!!

As far as service goes, I will be able to disconnect from the down pipe and I might not weld on side of the muffler for servicing?!?!?!? I'll look at that when I get to there and decide from that!! Thanks for the advice!!!!

I will have to check into the tri-mix rental??? I wonder how high dollar that could be???? Isn't standard mix MIGing SS: 90% Helium/8% Argon/2% CO2???

Thanks for your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
          Winslow
          Last edited by Prowelder; 08-29-2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Hey,

BTW- I'm not saying 100% pen isn't good, as most stuff I do I want 110%, but on on this project that just isn't really worth spending hours and hours on just to gain a marginally important factor!!!!!! Thanks and I really understand what your saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
            Winslow

Comment

Tig would be a pain under the car, I always fit mine and welded it up then put it on the vehicle.
              Piping stainless was my line of work for years, its just easier for me to do it this way.
              good luck with your project.....
              mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by Prowelder View Post
                I will have to check into the tri-mix rental??? I wonder how high dollar that could be???? Isn't standard mix MIGing SS: 90% Helium/8% Argon/2% CO2???
                If memory serves, my LWS (Valley National Gases) charges $7/mo for a small bottle rental + the cost of the gas. I don't use it enough to remember what the exact gas mix is...
                Bobcat 225NT
                Cutmaster 52
                Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                Caterpillar TH63
                '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
                  Tig would be a pain under the car, I always fit mine and welded it up then put it on the vehicle.
                  Piping stainless was my line of work for years, its just easier for me to do it this way.
                  good luck with your project.....
                  Hey,

I'll have to look at it a little closer...I might be able to fit it under the truck, then pull it out all together and TIG it on the bench... I'll have to see. Is that what you do??? Do you tack it together with MIG or use clamps???

That would be a lot easier... if I could get the system out in an unit. Thanks!!!

If I decide to go the MIG method, I'll look into what it cost for bottle. That is a good option. Thanks!!!

Thanks,
                  Winslow

Comment

The most common mixture for tri-mix gas is 90%He + 7-1/2%Ar + 2-1/2%CO2
                    Last edited by Don52; 08-30-2009, 07:56 PM.
                    Miller Thunderbolt
                    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                    Lincoln LE 31 MP
                    Lincoln 210 MP
                    Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
                    16" DuAll Saw
                    15" Drill Press
                    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                    20 Ton Arbor Press
                    Bridgeport

Comment

Hey,

I'm planning on installing a Magnaflow Stainless Steel (304) exhaust system for my Dodge Cummins. I am going to buy a 2 lb spool of 308L SS wire (about $20) and use one of my wire welders (Miller 251, Miller Vintage, Hobart 140) to weld it up instead of using the stupid clamps.

My question is can I use my standard 75/25 gas or am I going to need to use a tri-mix or straight agon????

I don't want it to rust as that is why I am dishing out the $$$$$$ for the stainless setup!!!!! It isn't going to be X-Rayed or anything, and I know I can just use mild steel wire to weld it, but that will rust!!!!

I have argon off of my TIG so that would be ok, but the tri-mix isn't cheap and I don't plan to weld that much SS with the wire feed. I usually use my TIG for SS but that would be a huge pain is the @$$!!!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
                      Winslow
                      Powerwelder,i have five of those trucks,if you weld it on the truck be sure to take all battery cables off the batteries welding is very hard on ECM and PCM.Just a thought NAPA makes a very nice 3 " wide 2 bolt exhaust clamp if you ever need to take it off after welding it's going to be a pain....
                      2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
                      1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
                      Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
                      XMT 304 cc cv
                      Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
                      Miller 30A
                      1ea X-Treme 12vs
                      2ea Miller 12Rc
                      Miller 24 A
                      Miller 330 a/bp tig
                      Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
                      Millermatic 180
                      Millermatic 180 auto set
                      Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
                      Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
                      2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
                      2ea Powermax 1000
                      1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

Comment

Ss fcaw

Originally posted by cah8861 View Post
                        I was told by the pipe welder at work that you can get s.s. flux core self shielding wire but he didn't know if you could get it in small enough diameter to weld exhaust pipe. No gas required.
                        Lincoln Blue Max FC-308L is a gas-shielded flux-cored stainless wire and uses either C-25 or 100% CO2. Smalles roll is .035/10# spool for just under $90.00

ESAB manufactures "Core-Bright" self-shielded wire, available in .045 & 5/64" dia. 25# spools. Price? Take a guess.

Good luck

Dave
                        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Hey,

I'll have to look at it a little closer...I might be able to fit it under the truck, then pull it out all together and TIG it on the bench... I'll have to see. Is that what you do??? Do you tack it together with MIG or use clamps???

That would be a lot easier... if I could get the system out in an unit. Thanks!!!

If I decide to go the MIG method, I'll look into what it cost for bottle. That is a good option. Thanks!!!

Thanks,
                          Winslow
                          I use the old pipe, remove it and fit the new one just like the old one, I used to cut the ells to get the exact bends etc.
                          It may be easier to have a muffler shop bend what you need, I have done that too. Bolt it on the vehicle, dont weld it in place as you may need to remove it at somne point............
                          mike sr

Comment

Working...
                          X