• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rizz01
    replied
    Don't worry dude, we've all been there.
    Get yourself a LOT of practice.
    Everything stated here is extremely valuable and take heed.
    Use whatever you need and get to welding.
    Experiment with the settings on different thicknesses of material.
    Adjust voltages and amperages MINUTELY to notice changes in penetration, bead width and profile. Don't forget travel speeds and stick-out lengths.
    I'm not trying to make this seem hard. You should be doing this on your own when you are ready. This will help your learning curve as well as increasing your knowledge. Have fun with this as well.
    Don't worry, you'll get it eventually. You're not gonna get it in one day or even one week.
    Keep at it, and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Ls2cam
    replied
    Guess so I am slow learner.

Leave a comment:

• Ls2cam
    replied
    ok I ll surf to resource to get some information..I am new with MM252. I did not realize that MM252 require a lot with adjustable setting. I had Lincoln 135 and 180 (its set up self-automatic) for years.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Rizz01
    replied
    Hey, why not try this:
    Go to the resources section of this site or stop in at your local Miller dealer and get some "Weld Calculators"....
    I understand that knowing the arithmetic is necessary but a lot of it is memory.
    Use those calculators and you'll be off and welding before you know it.
    Before long you'l memorize this stuff and have few issues.

Leave a comment:

• Ls2cam
    replied
    Thanks to Helios

As a guideline, each 0.001 inch of material thickness requires 1 amp: 0.125 in. = 125 amps.
    For example: I have 3/16" (0.1875) thick metal flat.
    125 in per amp x 0.1875= 23.4 amps

4. Set the wire feed speed. Wire speed controls amperage, as well as the amount of weld penetration. A speed that's too high can lead to burn-through. If a manual or weld specification sheet is not available, use the multipliers in the following chart to find a good starting point for wire feed speed. For example, for 0.030-in. wire, multiply by 2 in. per amp to find the wire feed speed in inches per minute (IPM).

125 in per amp x 0.1875= 23.4 amps

1.6 in./amp X 23.4 = 37.44 IPM
    Got correct???

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by Ls2cam View Post
    I copied from other post:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...do-they-figure

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...welding-basics here:

1. Material thickness determines amperage. As a guideline, each 0.001 inch of material thickness requires 1 amp: 0.125 in. = 125 amps. For example: I have 3/16" (0.1875) thick metal flat.
    0.001 in.of material thickness x 0.1875= 0.0001875
    or
    0.125 in per amp x 0.1875= 0.0234 amps

Is this makes sense?
    I am bigCONFUSED on amperage.
    Dude.

Google "arithmetic."

If you use one amp for every .001" thickness, then just move the decimal three places to the right.

Or, just multiply the thickness of the metal (expressed in decimal inches) by 1,000.

For example, for 1/16" material (.0625") you would use 62.5 amps.

I'm not saying the rule of thumb is always right, just showing you how to move the decimal point.

Next lesson, we'll talk about topological calculus.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Ls2cam
    replied
    help me????

I copied from other post:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...do-they-figure

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...welding-basics here:

1. Material thickness determines amperage. As a guideline, each 0.001 inch of material thickness requires 1 amp: 0.125 in. = 125 amps. For example: I have 3/16" (0.1875) thick metal flat.
    0.001 in.of material thickness x 0.1875= 0.0001875
    or

2. Select proper wire size, according to amperage. Since you don't want to change wire, select one for your most commonly used thicknesses.
    * 30-130 A: .023-in.
    * 40-145 A: 0.030 in.
    * 50-180 A: 0.035 in. -I use 0.035 wire in my MM252 right now.
    * 75-250 A: 0.045 in.
    3. Set the voltage. Voltage determines height and width of bead. If no chart, manual or specifications are available for setting the correct voltage, you can try this: while one person welds on scrap metal, an assistant turns down the voltage until the arc starts stubbing into the work piece. Then, start welding again and have an assistant increase the voltage until the arc becomes unstable and sloppy. A voltage midway between these two points provides a good starting point.
    There is a relationship between arc voltage and arc length. A short arc decreases voltage and yields a narrow, "ropey" bead. A longer arc (more voltage) produces a flatter, wider bead. Too much arc length produces a very flat bead and a possibility of an undercut.
    4. Set the wire feed speed. Wire speed controls amperage, as well as the amount of weld penetration. A speed that's too high can lead to burn-through. If a manual or weld specification sheet is not available, use the multipliers in the following chart to find a good starting point for wire feed speed. For example, for 0.030-in. wire, multiply by 2 in. per amp to find the wire feed speed in inches per minute (IPM).

1.6 in./amp X 0.0234=0.03744 IPM
    Is this makes sense?
    I am bigCONFUSED on amperage.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    Don't be so modest, from the looks of your inventory, you're more than just a ""farm boy" welder.

Dave
    Now take it easy on me.Gotta have a little fun when resting not burning a stick.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
    Machinist how do you like the Invertec V305?
    It's a great machine i have sticked and run a lot of different wires on it..but i love the Miller XMT 304...Both are great machines.

Leave a comment:

• remade
    replied
    so here's my deal, and i hope you guys will work with me and forgive some of my issues, i have been a welder for about 2 years but haven't welded in over a year. I'm trying to get as much refreshing information as i can before i try getting a job welding so that i can get the job.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    You Think that's bad...Youall plum lost this farm boy welder
    Machinist how do you like the Invertec V305?

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Modesty?"

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    Don't be so modest, from the looks of your inventory, you're more than just a ""farm boy" welder.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    You guys type to FAST.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Old School"

This Formula is for single pass welds with full penetration and is basically useless on thicker stuff. Sch. 40 pipe .375'' but you wouldn't weld at 375 amps. Kind of like when they say a MM210 only weld 3/8'' plate(not sure if thats true but you get the idea). The mm210 could weld 2'' plate with multiple passes, the proper joint design, and the use of a outershield wire.

I hadn't heard of Dave's formula but it works well. A good starting point for flat positions. Might lower the amps a little for out of position welds.

I don't know about the mig.
    RigHand: Yeah, that's a real "old school" method, more on the high end max than anything else. I'm like you. The lower end works best for OP welds. Take .250 thin wall pipe, with a 1/8" 6010 root and hot pass @ 90-100 followed by a 3/32" 7018 fill and cap at the same amperage.

With SMAW, one can do a lot with 90-130 amps, based on joint design, prep, and rod selection.

As with anyting, just "starting, or ending" points.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    You guys type to FAST.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X