Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use magnifying lenses in their welding hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use magnifying lenses in their welding hood?

I have to use the bifocals and getting everthing lined up and keeping it that way so I can track the puddle is hard sometimes. Especially on overhead. Anybody have any experience with the magnifying lenses in the welding helmet? How do you know what magnification to select and does that eliminate the need for glasses?

I could never get the cheater lenses to work for me. It was later someone suggested that I go to the drug store and pick out a set of reading glasses that the focal point for me was about half of my arm’s reach. Took some time to find a pair of glasses that worked, just about went through the whole rack of glasses looking for a pair that worked, but now I buy them at the dollar store. Give it a try!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionManiac View Post
      I have to use the bifocals and getting everthing lined up and keeping it that way so I can track the puddle is hard sometimes. Especially on overhead. Anybody have any experience with the magnifying lenses in the welding helmet? How do you know what magnification to select and does that eliminate the need for glasses?
      Yes, I have a 2x in my Miller hood which has clips inside for one. On my old hood I had to use masking tape to hold it in place. TSC or Northern Tool will have them if your LWS doesn't want to bother with a cash sale.
      Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
      Retired
      Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
      Master Electrician
      Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

You can also get safety glasses, which you should be wearing anyway, with magnifying lenses. Airgas carries them, I would think any LWS should have them.
        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
          You can also get safety glasses, which you should be wearing anyway, with magnifying lenses. Airgas carries them, I would think any LWS should have them.
          Good idea.
          Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
          Retired
          Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
          Master Electrician
          Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

Originally posted by FusionManiac View Post
            I had my optometrist set the bifocal higher in the lens. No cheater needed in the hood this way.

Griff

Comment

Absolutely! I have tri-focals and could not see squat when I first tried out my nice new auto-darkening helmet. I picked up a lens from Tractor Supply and I was in business.

I use a 1.5X or 2.0X for MIG and a 2.5X for TIG. I am playing with .040" tungsten in my TIG welder on some thin stuff. I think I will try a 3.0X lens as the weld bead is so small.

In my case the lens does not eliminate the need for glasses as I am near sighted.

Ken

Comment

I have been using cheaters for years in the Miller BWE... much better than trying to juggle reading glasses for me..... just moved from 1.75s to 2.0
                thanks
                Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

i have em in and i like them, i forget the mag. strength that i am using,,when you look at the lense packaging, there is a table in relation to your age as to what is best for you, ive got a jackson small lense, flip up hood, the lense goes directly behind your dark lense, only bummer is that now a clear lense that this piece replaces cant be put back in, not enough room so its exposed to scratchs

Comment

Mag Lens

I just bought a Mag Lens at TSC. , I could see great, but it fogs up in between the mag lens and the regular lens, To remove the fog or wipe clean you have to remove the lens ,clean then replace it !!

Also they scratch so very easily, The new lens lasted about 15 minutes, before I chucked it in the trash. Between the fog & scratches, they are not for me !!

I just wear the dollar store ( $2.00 ) cheap glasses, they last about 6-8weeks !

................ Norm
                    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I also have used the Walgreens reading glasses, finished up my working career with the 3.5. I have a pair of 4.0 that I had made up special by the opt?? they are now working fine, I like them much better than my tri focals for welding.
                      mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by fusionmaniac View Post
                        i have to use the bifocals and getting everthing lined up and keeping it that way so i can track the puddle is hard sometimes. Especially on overhead. Anybody have any experience with the magnifying lenses in the welding helmet? How do you know what magnification to select and does that eliminate the need for glasses?
                        i got a pair of librarian glasses with bifocals in the top and bottem and regular in the middle.

Comment

You wouldn't want to see what my welds would look like without my cheater.

I use a 2.5 if I am doing anything at normal distance and a 2.0 or 1.75 if it's arms length away, thats in addition to my regular glasses, that way I don't have to bother looking through the bifocal.

I had a pair of glasses a few years back with the bifocal cut in the top and bottom booth that I really liked but when I went to replace them I couldn't afford that again. Maybe next year.
                          Trailblazer 302
                          Lincoln SP-135-T
                          Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                          Smith torch
                          Spoolmatic 30A

Comment

ive had mine in for 6 months or so, to get to work properly you need to make sure everything seals up tight ive got the mag closest to my face with the #10 in front, not enough room in my hood to use clear lense to protect mag, i remember messing with it a while and they do what you said scratch easy have fun and good luck and good to hear things are working out for you, thats good news

Comment

Have been using mag lenses for years in different helmets. Not many have a good setup to mount the mag lens in with a coverplate, ( needed to protect mag from scratching).

I just use black duct tape to tape the mag and cover in place. If you tape all around the lens fogging or dirtying of the automatic filter does not occur.

Take care not to obstruct any of your lens controls.

This system works well when the helmet is mounted on a hard hat also.

Comment

Working...
                              X