Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 211 mig with spool gun

Hello out there.
    I just purchased a miller 211 mig welder, and a spool gun for aluminium.
    I am using 030 4043 and the base metal is 5051 .250 thick,
    If I use the setting that miller sugests 10 and 90, there is no way to control the arc or weld pudle, its like nfg it goes were it want's.
    setting at 5 and 10 on the wire and the weld is controlable with a nice beed.

Im thinking that I must get the 035 wire as to introduce more filler metal to the weld.
    Has anyone else experienced this fenomenon.

Otherwise, how do you like it?

I am debating on purchasing that same combination myself.
    It states it will weld 3/8" steel, does it?
    I do a lot of trash dumpster and packer repairs. I need something portable for steel mostly. I would plug it in and sometimes run it off the Trailblazer for power.
    I also do some shop work, so I would use it there also.

Comment

Originally posted by Copperdog View Post
      I would say it does but the duty cycle wouldn't be very high. You might be able to weld 3/8" for a short time but not for long runs...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

3/8" Welds

I do a lot of trash dumpster and packer repairs. I need something portable for steel mostly. I would plug it in and sometimes run it off the Trailblazer for power.
        Copperdog: Your Trailblazer will definitely weld 3/8" steel If you've got it mounted on a truck or trailer, it is for sure portable.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Your best choice for your intended use is to buy a Suitcase feeder and run it from your Trailblazer. The Trailblazer can dial down low enough and up high enough to run small and big enough wire to weld the full range of material size you intend to weld.

The Passport is a truely great little portable mig, but is under powered for over 1/4" steel without groove preperation and multiple passes. The Passport will weld the sheet steel dumpsters very well, but is not the ticket for bigger structural steel.

The hot ticket is to have both a Passport and a Suitcase feeder on the truck.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

For 1/4" aluminum I'd be wanting to use 3/64 wire, but given the capability of your machine I'd at least go up to 035 and try to get as much heat into the weld as possible.

Are you sure it's 5051 base alloy? 6061 would make much more sense. Hopefully you are using the machine on 220V and cranking it up as high as possible. A 30% duty cycle at 150A for 1/4" is going to limit you a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X