Anybody tried this saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tried this saw?

I been looking at these things for awhile now. Mainly because I like my old delta 14" so much in the shop.
    This little puppie is a 9". They make metal blades for it but the manual says no ferrous metal. Fine with me.
    I tried some steel tho, and it seemed ok for a bit, and then trashed the blade
    So i got another 18 tooth blade and hauled this thing to the next job I had.
    I used it to cut long strips of .100 thick 5052 aluminum for patches and it worked fabulous. I couldn't be happier.
    Except for the fact that I also ordered 3 new Lennox blades for it in 10/14 pitch and they are also .025 thick which is double. It uses 59 1/2" blades.
    It has a nice laser and a cool flexible light plus it is 2 speeds as well.
    I used it on the slow speed but figure I will go to the higher setting when I switch blades again.
    Not bad IMO for $114 at Lowes and it doesn't weigh hardly anything
    I can wear it out and then just get another for that money.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

The speed is probably too high for steel, most smaller vertical bandsaws I have seen run too fast for steel cutting.
    Sure is cute though!!
    mike sr

Comment

Hey FK,

Thanks for posting. Looks like just the ticket for cutting patterns out of 1/8" aluminum for use with the plasma. (always have a lot of 1/8" alum scrap around).

Never been too keen on using the Delta or Laguna bandsaws (wood) for that.

I'll have to run by Lowes tomorrow. Too much to do today.

PS. Heck, if the extended warranty is only $10 or so, might be the way to go. Not sure how they'd feel replacing it though if it was full of aluminum shavings.
      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
      Hobart HH187
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
      More grinders than hands

Comment

Heck in all seriousness I think it is better for the money than many saws cost for their value.
        Pops..it is 2 speed and I am not really sure but what it may be perfect for steel even tho it saws no. I am wondering if that may be more about the steel cuttings being magnetically drawn into the motor.
        the truly rinky dink part about this machine as well as the Delta I use at the shop is the blade guides. They are simply solid metal and not rollers.
        I already have grown used to the delta having this tho and am now over that.
        On aluminum when you have the right blade it takes very little pressure to cut really fast.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Update

Well my new Lennox blades came in. Much earlier I might add thanks to the great service from my LWS.
          This is good and bad in more ways than 2.
          The stock blades are .012 thick and work [email protected]$$ ok.
          The new Lennoxs are .025 and this causes the saw to have way more pressure on the wheels. So much more the little thang simply cannot get rolling up to speed on high. I prefer high on aluminum.
          The stock blade was 18tpi and I have switched to 10-14tpi.
          I still cuts nice on slow speed. I hope once the blade gets broke in good it will start nicer. Either way I am gonna wear this thing out...I already have used it a bunch... it is much nicer than a cut-off wheel on a grinder!
          I too scared to try steel for now. Maybe on a paying job.
          In the pic you can see it cuts 1/4" 6061 quite nicely and 1 1/2" sch 40 as well.
          Look closely and you can spot the laser line and I also left the light on for ya!
          That is using Flash as well.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Hey FK,

After reading your comments, I went ahead and picked one up. Figured for $114 what the heck. Even paid the $14 for the one year extended warranty. I'll get that much out of it if all I use it for is cutting plasma templates. Feel better trashing it than I do the Delta or the Laguna.

BTW, you commented on the steel blade guides. I use the "cool blocks" on the Delta and the Laguna has ball bearings. Anyway, I miked the blade guides on the Skil. Measured just over 1/4". Just happened to have some 1/4" round brass rod in stock. My saw now has brass, not steel blade guides. If you need some stock, drop me a PM and I'll mail you a 4" stick.

I've used the saw to cut out (1/8" aluminum) a couple templates for the plasma. Worked fine as long as you don't put too much pressure on the blade.

After you mentioned this saw the other night, I went out to the shed and found an old Skil benchtop saw that I had bought years ago. Has 3 wheels and uses a 60" blade. Never had much luck with that saw. It used plastic blade guides and the blade would not stay in alignment. The new saw, design wise, looks like a scaled down Delta (blade tensioning, tension release, tracking adjustment, etc).

I'd have to say it was worth the money at this point.
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Sundown, I agree on the scaled down part. And the 2 speed, laser and light is better than my Delta
              I like the part about being able to carry it like nothing. I use it on the work platform, on my welding trailer and on the ground.
              Hopefully it will break in nicely and run for a long time...if not I will see if I can throw it into the dumpster from the shop.
              Btw I went by Home Depot and bought a blade for it and even tho it said 59 1/2" it was too short. This saw has very little leeway. I need to open up some clearance somewhere. The Moter barely opens enuff for the slow speed and has no adjustment left either.
              What blade are you running?

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

FK,

I'm still running the blade that came with the saw.

I had picked up at Lowes a spare 1/8" (18tpi I think) and a spare 1/4" (6tpi) blade. They're both 59 1/2" so they may not fit but that's what was recommended.

Know what you mean about being a little tight when changing speed. Changed mine over to low speed and it was a pain.

Biggest complaint I have is the excessive play in the uppper bearing support. When moving the support up or down (excess slop) I find it necessary to recheck the blade guides. First time I moved it up, it bound the blade and tripped the breaker. Doesn't take much to trip that breaker. Think the motor itself is only like 3A.

Other than those few things, works a heck of a lot better than a hacksaw or a jig saw.

I went with the brass blade guides, figuring they'd be better when trying the 1/8" blade. Haven't used that blade yet though. They seem to work well with the standard blade.
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Working...
                X