X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux Core - Yes or No ?

Well Guys , I ran some Flux Core E71T-11 today for the first time in over
    Thirty Yrs. , I was not pleased to put It mildly !

It ran OK, till I removed the slag, All kinds of Porosity ? Why ?
    I ended up switching back to .030 hard wire. The job turned out good no thanks to that Flux cored junk !! ( All My Wire is Hobart )

Any thoughts ??

.............. Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Too much voltage?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Fcaw

Hey Norm: E71T-11 runs a lot slower and lower than solid wire. For example, .045 E71T-11 @ 15 Volts/54 IPM. Compared to dual shield would be 22 volts/210 IPM. Solid wire ER70S-6 .045 wire, 23-24 volts @ 195 IPM with 100% CO2.

The most important variable is the CTWD (Contact Tip to Work Distance). One must be able to maintain a consistent "stick out" of wire to work. Generally, 5/8" - 3/4" is sufficient. If you don't have an FCAW gun, remove the gas nozzle for better clarity.

Travel speeds must be uniform. Keeping the arc at the front edge of the weld puddle. Travel speeds are usually faster than stick electrodes due to the higher deposition rate. Many tend to move too slowly when they first use Innershield wire, or if they haven't used it in a while.

Once you get used to it, it's great.

Dave
      Last edited by davedarragh; 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM.
      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

flux core, will do exactly what is expected of it, every time. Depends, of course, on the person applying it. If you have the attitude, "it's junk", that's exactly what you are going to get, is Junk. If you truly, honestly, want to learn how to run it, just ask. But I don't explain "Junk". Hey, Dave, was I not nice and considerate here??????
        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
          If you don't have an FCAW gun
          If you don’t have one, GET ONE!

Sometimes when not using the proper gun the wire will stick inside the liner when it gets hot. Which can slow the wire down = Too much voltage.
          Caution!

Comment

E71t-11

Hey Norm: E71T-11 runs a lot slower and lower than solid wire. For example, .045 E71T-11 @ 15 Volts/54 IPM. Compared to dual shield would be 22 volts/210 IPM. Solid wire ER70S-6 .045 wire, 23-24 volts @ 195 IPM with 100% CO2.

The most important variable is the CTWD (Contact Tip to Work Distance). One must be able to maintain a consistent "stick out" of wire to work. Generally, 5/8" - 3/4" is suffecient. If you don't have an FCAW gun, remove the gas nozzle for better clarity.

Travel speeds must be uniform. Keeping the arc at the front edge of the weld puddle. Travel speeds are usually faster than stick electrodes due to the higher deposition rate. Many tend to move too slowly when they first use Innershield wire, or if they haven't used it in a while.

Once you get used to it, it's great.

Dave
            OK, Dave, So I was running to Hot. I was using .030 flux core .
            On my welder there is no digital read out, I have Five tap settings and Infinite wire feed speed. On your example did you say 15V./ 54 I.P.M. ?
            That's kinda low & slow ain't It ?

Dave, translate your example for .030 E71T-11, as I said my Lincoln-180 has five tap settings & infinite wire feed up to 500 IPM. !

........... Norm

Comment

and yeah,,,, like Sonora said,,, much nicer, I'd have to admit,,,, run a flux cored wire thru a flux cored Gun!!!!! Experience here,,,, you can piss around all you want, about wire size's, liner size's,,,, etc. etc. BUT, you cannot run, no matter the size, a nr232 wire, thru a mig liner.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                If you don’t have one, GET ONE!

Sometimes when not using the proper gun the wire will stick inside the liner when it gets hot. Which can slow the wire down = Too much voltage.
                Sonora; GOT ONE !!!

Comment

I run fluxcore all the time with a regular mig QGun, with a fluxcore tip holder, which eliminates the gas nozzle. No gun problems.

Run your fluxcore slow and deliberate. Fast jerky movements result in porosity.
                  Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                  Millermatic175
                  MillermaticPassport/Q300
                  HTP MIG200
                  PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                  ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                  DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                  Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                  Purox oxy/ace
                  Jackson EQC
                  -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                  -LoadNGo utility bed
                  -Bobcat 250NT
                  -PassportPlus/Q300
                  -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                  -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                  -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                  -Smith oxy/propane
                  -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                    and yeah,,,, like Sonora said,,, much nicer, I'd have to admit,,,, run a flux cored wire thru a flux cored Gun!!!!! Experience here,,,, you can piss around all you want, about wire size's, liner size's,,,, etc. etc. BUT, you cannot run, no matter the size, a nr232 wire, thru a mig liner.
                    You One Funny Feller !! DUHH !!

Comment

FCAW Settings

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                      OK, Dave, So I was running to Hot. I was using .030 flux core .
                      On my welder there is no digital read out, I have Five tap settings and Infinite wire feed speed. On your example did you say 15V./ 54 I.P.M. ?
                      That's kinda low & slow ain't It ?

Dave, translate your example for .030 E71T-11, as I said my Lincoln-180 has five tap settings & infinite wire feed up to 500 IPM. !

........... Norm
                      Norm: There should be nomenclature (chart settings) for Flux-Cored (gasless wire) under the lid.

DC- for the gun, DC+ for the "ground" clamp.

Dave
                      Last edited by davedarragh; 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM.
                      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Norm: There should be nomenclature (chart settings) for Flux-Cored (gasless wire) under the lid.

DC- for the gun, DC+ for the "ground" clamp.

Dave
                        Dave, I just went out to check the chart under the door. By the chart if anything I was running the wire a little slow, the amps-volts to the highest setting of "E", that's where I had it !

............... Norm

Comment

Hard to explain this over the net, a lot easier to show you. If you can get someone to turn the wire speed while your welding it will be quicker. You don’t really want a wet flowing puddle, I suggest you turn the wire speed up until it is banging into the puddle, almost to the point it wants to lift the gun up, then back the wire speed off just a tad. Never starve the puddle for wire!

I personally run around 3/8 to 1/2 inch stick out.

Never ran any .030 Innershield, .068 is about as small as we go. I also like the Lincoln K-115 gun, I’d be surprised if they have .030 tips for these guns!
                          Attached Files
                          Caution!

Comment

Norm,

Really dumb question.

Dave mentioned it, but you may not have been paying attention.

Did you check the polarity settings for your gun? You would have had to change them over from running hard wire.

Additionally,

I'm not trying to be an A-hole, and I know you've been thru some tough times recently, but the questions you often ask often make me question what you did as a 30 yr. ironworker, and even to the question of "What the heck have you been welding as a Welding Business" since you left the ironworkers.

Frankly, the equipment inventory you've mentioned you had available, seems mighty light for a guy trying to make a living in the welding field. Seems that not a lot of "all that money you invested in your business" went to buying equipment. If a good portion of the money you went thru from savings, etc (think you mentioned you cashed out with the ironworkers) went to pay normal living expenses, then you may wish to take a closer look at the ol business plan.

Just my .02
                            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                            Hobart HH187
                            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                            More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                              Hard to explain this over the net, a lot easier to show you. If you can get someone to turn the wire speed while your welding it will be quicker. You don’t really want a wet flowing puddle, I suggest you turn the wire speed up until it is banging into the puddle, almost to the point it wants to lift the gun up, then back the wire speed off just a tad. Never starve the puddle for wire!

I personally run around 3/8 to 1/2 inch stick out.

Never ran any .030 Innershield, .068 is about as small as we go. I also like the Lincoln K-115 gun, I’d be surprised if they have .030 tips for these guns!
                              Sonora Iron, Thanks;

I was running about 3/8"- 1/2" stick out .
                              I really don't need such a Heavy Duty Gun like that, My Lincoln 180 dose not have that kind power !

By the chart under the door, I was running a little slow ! Will turn it up a touch tomorrow and see if that helps any .

Thanks, .......... Norm

Comment

Working...
                              X