Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new here and do not know any one, how they are or act. I have owned a few of my own business (not welding) and sold them off at 33 and now retired(looking for things to do and toys play with) It is hard to be self employed between employees if any, consumables,overhead, and worst for us in the US the Feds. The things pointed out on how to buy with cash and turn down jobs not equipped for is very very true, not everyone can do that. No matter what age. I do salute you for starting a business when you did nfinch86 and hope things work out with that sweet deal you have going now. Do be careful if someone asks you if you can weld that cheaper on the side, because they will if they know you have your own business. (it will happen) and definitely do not use shop supplies or equipment to do your other work unless you have asked. I know you know this and I am just rambling.
    A lot is said for someone who does say it like they see it, and it is good to see all sides of things. things do work differently from area to area. When I was blowing and going methods and tactics that worked in San Antonio Tx my not work in Austin Tx. The thing is whether it was said lightheartedly at first or what, it is not cool to knock someones pay or worth. I to had a lot of people that were in the same business as I was tell me not to take less because it brings everyone down. I just charged what I needed to live comfortably and what I could live with. It sure payed off. The thing to remember is when you work for someone else the cost involved to do business is not there. and you may make less than what you charge as self employed per hour, but some times it is not far off what was in the personal bank account at the end of the week. Just my thought and 2 cents which is worth 1/2 a cent in today's money.

Comment

Great Ideas

Well Guys, Thankyou; spgtti72, stick man, arraflipper, Fusionking, crawdaddy, and speedyshark, So many great ideas and suggestions !

I spent over an hour in the shop on Wed. , the foreman and I talked about the shop & the work, we seem to have a lot in common !

First We both are Ironworkers ( different Locals ) with similar back grounds and Ages . It seems to be a very proffesional atmosphere, No One running around, just doing their jobs !

My biggest problem will be getting used to these new fanggled welders .
      The New Lincoln Power Mig 350PM's can do everything but give you a cut & shave !!

I'll also have the chance to learn to Tig Weld. Wow always learning, It never stops, Ya Hoooo !! All the while still having the opportunity to operate and run my own business ! From now through the fall and Winter my business is going to be a Side Line, with me putting in near Full Time hours on my new job.

Learning new things , saving money, and working my tail off are going to be my main Priorities in the comming months and on into the future !!

I Thank Everyone, for your thoughtful comments and words of Encouragement, Thanks All !!!!!

................ Norm........... Onward & Upward
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi guys . norm am i reading this right you are work for some one else and for your self to . I have be up in the back woods of timmins and sudbaury doing some repairs and fighting with the F..king insurenace company. I lost an rig to a bad wire under the dash and i only had 3 fire fighters stand around and five fireExtinguishers on the rig . Will ihope the new job works out for you I no it,s hard running your own biz in the down time . I going into my 15th year in biz and it hasn,t been a cake walk at all but if you can work for someone on a part time bases you,ll make it

Comment

Originally posted by ocweld View Post
          Hi guys . norm am i reading this right you are work for some one else and for your self to . I have be up in the back woods of timmins and sudbaury doing some repairs and fighting with the F..king insurenace company. I lost an rig to a bad wire under the dash and i only had 3 fire fighters stand around and five fireExtinguishers on the rig . Will ihope the new job works out for you I no it,s hard running your own biz in the down time . I going into my 15th year in biz and it hasn,t been a cake walk at all but if you can work for someone on a part time bases you,ll make it
          Hey Corey;

Yep, Your reading that correctly !!
          I start Sat. Morning 7:00 AM. , he stated I can expect between 20 - 40hrs. per week.
          If I need to leave to go on a call or do a Job, No Problem, just go and do It !

So you are working up in Timmins ?
          What happened to your Truck ?

Take Care Man; Talk to ya soon; ............ Norm

Comment

Originally posted by stick man View Post
            you know I normally don't get involed in these threads, but couldn't let this one pass bye. JFAB is the type of guy that says whats on his mind nothin wrong with that, right or wrong thats his take. But you to comment on how much money a man's going to work for aint cool. who gives you that right. Ive got a man working for me at less than 20.00 with close to 30 years in the trade, and Iam only 36. so does that make him a johnny come latly? NO sir it makes him a man needing work. So maybe you should stop and think before you type. Cause I'd be willing to bet you if you was to say that to ol norm to his face you'd probaly have about 5 decades on IRONWORKER in that A$$. Norm take the work you can get do the best you can do and don't worry to much about silly stuff you read in cyber world. especially from people that ain't never had to make a payroll on friday.
            For you to pay a man with 30 yrs experience less than $20 HR you either have someone desperate,incompetent or you are using someone to make yourself rich.When I say newbies make $20 give/take its showing respect to the individual,trade and the common sence of knowing the cost of living.Respect to me means nothing here, but face to face on a FRIDAY when a cheque stub is handed over it's the rate of pay that speaks for you.I might not make the payroll but I decide who's on and stays on it.When raises are due my respect is then shown vouching for the ones that earn it.You have one to evaluate(sounds more like use),I have 27 on a dayshift...and to me anyone with 30 yrs experience(if they are competent) is worth more than $20 HR.But if you sound like your desperate and will work for anything,thats what you'll get.....afterall your doing it to someone.Maybe NORM's rate of pay makes you feel good about yourself...
            ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

Different Strokes for Different Folks !!!

Originally posted by reggie View Post
              For you to pay a man with 30 yrs experience less than $20 HR you either have someone desperate,incompetent or you are using someone to make yourself rich.When I say newbies make $20 give/take its showing respect to the individual,trade and the common sence of knowing the cost of living.Respect to me means nothing here, but face to face on a FRIDAY when a cheque stub is handed over it's the rate of pay that speaks for you.I might not make the payroll but I decide who's on and stays on it.When raises are due my respect is then shown vouching for the ones that earn it.You have one to evaluate(sounds more like use),I have 27 on a dayshift...and to me anyone with 30 yrs experience(if they are competent) is worth more than $20 HR.But if you sound like your desperate and will work for anything,thats what you'll get.....afterall your doing it to someone.Maybe NORM's rate of pay makes you feel good about yourself...
              Reggie, Hello;

Your in or near Toronto, Correct ?
              Where you live has a lot to do with salaries- wages, I live in a small farming community , $20.00 an hr. is not bad money.
              Question, What do Class A Mechanics make in Oakville, or Toronto ?
              Around here a Class A Mechanic makes about $16-18.00 an hr.
              A personal friend of mine has been a Mechanic for 25 yrs., He's making $ 18.00 an hr.
              The cost of living in Delhi is about 1/10th of what it is in Toronto !!

This small farming community is hurting big time, I used to get 4 or 5 Farm repair calls a week, This year I've had One Call that was last May !!

Have a good day Reggie;
              ............... Norm

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                Reggie, Hello;

Your in or near Toronto, Correct ?
                Where you live has a lot to do with salaries- wages, I live in a small farming community , $20.00 an hr. is not bad money.
                Question, What do Class A Mechanics make in Oakville, or Toronto ?
                Around here a Class A Mechanic makes about $16-18.00 an hr.
                A personal friend of mine has been a Mechanic for 25 yrs., He's making $ 18.00 an hr.
                The cost of living in Delhi is about 1/10th of what it is in Toronto !!

This small farming community is hurting big time, I used to get 4 or 5 Farm repair calls a week, This year I've had One Call that was last May !!

Have a good day Reggie;
                ............... Norm
                Yea it would be nice if someone would come to my town and start a welding shop and pay those rates.
                Top welding money around here is less than $15. And that's for tig aluminum with loads of exp and obvious talent.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                  Top welding money around here is less than $15. And that's for tig aluminum with loads of exp and obvious talent.
                  But yet you held your own on the $100 you charge per hour for the same area..be it mobile in that situation.Are you not saying the same as me in ..''you are worth what you make yourself worth''?.You stood up for being worth something in past threads,now you are saying your a'' dime a dozen''...
                  ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

You know, a man's got to do what he has to.
                    Everyone doesn't fall into a "template" and each has to evaluate his/her situation.
                    The bottom like is: Is HE happy with his current situation? If so, we have no right to tread on his parade or second guess him. We are in control of only 1 person and that's ourself. We each set our own standards and that is nobody elses business. If at the end of the day, we are proud of our work and feel we got fair pay, that's all that matters.

Although I can appreciate both arguments, this back and forth debate really isn't doing anything or going to change his situation.

I say good luck now and in the future.

I say that to everyone.

Andy

Comment

It's My Life !!!

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
                      You know, a man's got to do what he has to.
                      Everyone doesn't fall into a "template" and each has to evaluate his/her situation.
                      The bottom like is: Is HE happy with his current situation? If so, we have no right to tread on his parade or second guess him. We are in control of only 1 person and that's ourself. We each set our own standards and that is nobody elses business. If at the end of the day, we are proud of our work and feel we got fair pay, that's all that matters.

Although I can appreciate both arguments, this back and forth debate really isn't doing anything or going to change his situation.

I say good luck now and in the future.

I say that to everyone.

Andy
                      Thankyou, Andy;

Yes , I have an opportunity to add to my Income, $ 20.00 an hr. in this small farming community, Is way different than the Large City ( Toronto 4Million+ )
                      that Reggie or others may Live and work in !!

As Andy said, weather it's $20.00 or $2.00 an hr. , I'm bettering my personal situation ! I'm the one who has to look in the mirror every morning .
                      I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing, that's ALL That Matters !!!!

............... Norm

Comment

Working...
                      X