Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between earlier Dynasty 200DX and the current model (2009)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between earlier Dynasty 200DX and the current model (2009)

Hi All,

New member here but I have been using Miller products for a long time. I'm looking at buying a used Dynasty 200DX that was manufactured in 2003. (I Need it to replace my Maxstar 91 that died and needs a new board that is no longer available ) I was wondering if the Dynasty 200DX changed much since then? The current models have the "blue lightening" arc start and the auto voltage sensing for 120 and 240 volts, and the AC waveform select. Anybody know what year model these features were introduced on?

With or without it is still a great portable machine and the price is right. I welded with a syncrowave 250 for years but that's a bit tricky to get in the trunk of the car!

Thanks!

Here's one old thread that might help ....

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=13527

Do a search, this has been discussed quite a bit previously.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Dynasty 200 DX

Mine is the Blue lightning and has the latest features, bought it in March 2009
      serial number is: LJ400605L.

There was a post awhile back that had the serial number discussion, I did a quick search and didnt find that particular thread.
      mike sr

Comment

I would check it out with a fine tooth comb myself.
        I would want to weld with it if at all possible.
        See if you can get the serial # and run it thru miller for history on service etc.
        It would need to be a darn good deal first for me.
        Buying one new and taking good care of it and using it forever is certainly not the same as buying a six year old inverter IMO
        I myself would only buy that old of a machine from someone that I could look in the eye...YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I think the new features started with the 2009 model year.

If it welds in all modes, appears to be in good general condition and is a good deal, I wouldn't have a hang-up about buying a used one.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

I have a Maxstar 91 parts machine....

Comment

How my morning has gone with my Dynasty..........

Sorry guys...
              Been on the road again the last 3 weeks.
              The serial numbers of the new style Dynasty 200s are LJ280222L and later.
              Happy shopping!
              Andy

The above is a quote from Andy made on 8/27/2008 regarding the serial number cut off to determine the Dynasty 200 DX differences when the machine received an update.

The S/N stated is the point that anything later has features not found on models of an earlier serial number.

I bought a Dynasty 200DX on July 01, 2009.
              This was a brand new machine on Ebay and it had 'Buy It Now' price of $2850 with free shipping, just like all the rest listed by different people.
              What attracted me to this one was it also had the 'Make an Offer' choice.
              I made a couple of offers and was quickly rejected.
              Then I made a final offer for $2650 with free shipping. The offer was accepted 4 hours before the close of the auction.
              I felt like I had made a pretty good deal (at the time) and saved a few bucks.

Before the machine arrived, I D/L'd a user manual from Miller to look at.
              When the machine arrived a week later, it had no user manual and it was not in a Miller box, but that did not concern me because I had the D/L'd manual.

Then I recently stumbled on to this thread regarding the differences between the 200 DX models. I go out and look at my machine and see it is S/N LH250xxxx. This is the earlier model.
              OK, there goes the so-called 'savings' I got on the deal, I thought.

I put in the serial number at the Miller site and D/L a manual for that S/N and sure enough, I got a different version (earlier).
              Comparing the two manuals, there were a couple fewer pages in the earlier manual and there was no information about setting the Tungsten Selections or anything about the setting of AC Waveshape Selections.

So I get on the phone to Miller's tech department and ask about the differences.
              Mark tells me that the earlier machine (mine) does not have an ability to select different wave selections on AC and that was about it.

So I go out to the shop and take the newer manual with me. I follow the steps given to select tungsten first, and Lo and Behold........ TUN 094 pops up! This is the default setting for a 3/32 tungsten.
              I adjust this to 062 for my 1/16 tungsten I am using.
              Puzzled???....... This is not supposed to be available on my machine.

Next, I go to the AC Waveshape Selection page and set the machine to AC, turn it off, then back on and hold down the polarity and AC waveshape buttons.
              Now I get the 4 selections for waveshape showing and I scroll through all four types of waveshapes.
              I am even more puzzled at this point. My machine seems to be the later model???

So back on the phone to Miller and I give Mark the serial number of my machine. He looks it up and comes back and tells me he has no record of such a serial number!

He also says.......'I do not know what to tell you.'
              I ask,....... 'In effect, I have no warranty I guess?' He says that is true.

The machine is brand new. The serial number/product sticker on the back is perfectly attached with no sign of tampering, but there is no record of this number. I am just blown away!

While I am happy to have the later version with the waveshape settings, I am quite unhappy to have a brand new electronic machine with no warranty!

Has anyone run into this situation before? And how could this be so? As I say, everything is brand new. It came with a brand new RFCS-14HD heavy duty foot control, but no cables or torch, which is normal.

Anyway, that is how my morning has gone...... pg

Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
              Coolmate 3
              MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
              HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
              Victor O/A Rig
              Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
              10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
              Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
              Baldor 10 inch Buffer
              Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
              Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
              Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
              Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
              Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

Maybe the machine with non-existant serial number was originally a demo machine given to a dealer to test the waters with the new features before the actual new models came out?? If it has a serial number, somebody somewhere within Miller must have a record of it....
                Millermatic175
                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                HTP MIG200
                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                Purox oxy/ace
                Jackson EQC
                -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                -LoadNGo utility bed
                -Bobcat 250NT
                -PassportPlus/Q300
                -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                -Smith oxy/propane
                -Jackson EQC

Comment

Desertrider........
                  Yes it has a serial number. See the pic I posted of it with my last post.
                  Since I was talking with a Miller person who was the one who said the serial number has no record, we found both of ourselves stuck at that point.
                  So the only thing I could do was contact Miller by email and see if someone else can help me.

The number tells me that I do not have the updated features and when I dialed those features and they popped up and on my machine, I was surprised, to say the least!

If I get any progress on this from Miller I will post it. Thanks for your reply......... pg
                  Coolmate 3
                  MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                  Victor O/A Rig
                  Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

maybe the machine was stolen and someone fabricated a serial number sticker and put it on your machine before selling it to you. it is not hard to make one of those stickers that looks authentic.

in fact after looking closer at your photo, the edges of your serial number sticker aren't straight. and one of the corners is rounded and another one pointed. that doesn't look like a die-cut sticker with consistent edges and corners.
                    miller dynasty 350
                    miller spectrum 1000

Comment

That ser# sticker is a fake!
                      Our ser# have rounded corners and perfectly straight edges.

PM me the whole ser# and I'll double check the entire production series.

You may also take the cover off that machine and look inside for other ser# stickers. They are much smaller in size and only state the ser#.

Also the date codes on the circuit boards have 2 letters and 2 numbers. These date codes would have the same 2 letters as the ser#.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
                        maybe the machine was stolen and someone fabricated a serial number sticker and put it on your machine before selling it to you. it is not hard to make one of those stickers that looks authentic.

in fact after looking closer at your photo, the edges of your serial number sticker aren't straight. and one of the corners is rounded and another one pointed. that doesn't look like a die-cut sticker with consistent edges and corners.
                        I do not know. If that is the case, the sticker sure looks real to me.
                        I do know however that the serial number on it reflects an earlier machine that does not have 'Selectable AC Waveshapes or Selectable tungsten ' settings and mine certainly has those.

And when Miller tells me they have no record of such a serial number...... well, I just find that unbelievable is all I can say.

Not meaning to be critical of Miller, but you would think something like a serial number (which is super important to a warranty claim) would be installed on the machine with something a little better than an adhesive tag, would you not?

OK, you say the sticker looks crooked to you with a peeling corner.
                        Take into consideration that this pic was taken with a Nikon 105mm Micro lens. This lens blows up detail to an unbelievable detail. You look at something that looks perfectly clean and then take a pic with this lens and you will see the item covered in hair, dirt, ripped edges etc. The tag looks very good to me since I know how the lens extends detail.

And even if the tag was a phony, the serial number on it should be with Miller somewhere?

I bought the welder from a lady. You could think you could trust a lady, wouldn't you? Ha-Ha!

Anyway, I am still waiting to hear back from Miller about this question............... pg
                        Coolmate 3
                        MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                        Victor O/A Rig
                        Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
                          That ser# sticker is a fake!
                          Our ser# have rounded corners and perfectly straight edges.

PM me the whole ser# and I'll double check the entire production series.

You may also take the cover off that machine and look inside for other ser# stickers. They are much smaller in size and only state the ser#.

Also the date codes on the circuit boards have 2 letters and 2 numbers. These date codes would have the same 2 letters as the ser#.

Andy
                          Andy......
                          I just saw your post. Thanks. I will PM you in a few minutes with the serial number and will also pull the cover to look for other stickers and look at the board date codes.
                          Thanks again........... pg
                          Coolmate 3
                          MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                          Victor O/A Rig
                          Baldor 10 inch Buffer

Comment

Uh oh.. Dont be surprised if you do find another serial number inside that ends up having been reported stolen! Was that 'lady' kinda skinny with an acne problem??
                            Millermatic175
                            MillermaticPassport/Q300
                            HTP MIG200
                            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                            Purox oxy/ace
                            Jackson EQC
                            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                            -LoadNGo utility bed
                            -Bobcat 250NT
                            -PassportPlus/Q300
                            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                            -Smith oxy/propane
                            -Jackson EQC

Comment

I agree, it would be alot better for Miller to stamp the serial number into the metal case somewhere in the machine so this kind of tampering cannot go on so easily. Someone making up serial number stickers like that probly has sold quite a few stolen machines already. Being such a new machine, it wouldn't surprise me if the theif is somehow connected to a distributor or retailer, maybe a pilfering employee...

That the machine came to you without the owner's manual or original receipt or box suggests a stolen machine too. On a machine that new, most people would still have the owner's manual and original sales reciept.
                              Last edited by Desertrider33; 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM.
                              Millermatic175
                              MillermaticPassport/Q300
                              HTP MIG200
                              DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                              Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                              Purox oxy/ace
                              Jackson EQC
                              -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                              -LoadNGo utility bed