252 Stainless .023 feed problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 252 Stainless .023 feed problems

Right off, I'm new at this. I am trying to weld stainless with .023 but can't get it to feed reliably. Anytime the electrode hits anything the wire kinks in the 252 right after the drive wheels before the liner and has to be reloaded.

I've tried different feed tensions without any success.

I'm using the standard 12' Miller MIG gun with Bernard CenterFire conversion.

What am I missing, what should I try? Can I use the Spoolmatic 30A with .023 stainless?

Thanks,
    Roger

Make sure the gun is fully seated in the gun housing. There should be little gap between the drive rolls and the liner input. SS should not kink that easily at that point unless there is excessive space between the rolls and liner. Make sure you have the proper size drive rolls. You need the .023 drive rolls too. A .023-030 liner would help too.

Andy

Comment

"Bird's Nesting"

Originally posted by rhubbard View Post
      Right off, I'm new at this. I am trying to weld stainless with .023 but can't get it to feed reliably. Anytime the electrode hits anything the wire kinks in the 252 right after the drive wheels before the liner and has to be reloaded.

I've tried different feed tensions without any success.

I'm using the standard 12' Miller MIG gun with Bernard CenterFire conversion.

What am I missing, what should I try? Can I use the Spoolmatic 30A with .023 stainless?

Thanks,
      Roger
      Hello Roger, and welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the .023 drive rolls in? How about the contact tip size? Is that an M-25 gun?

How about the liner, is it an .035 liner? Also, check the liner distance to the drive rolls, should be just close enough, NOT to rub the drive rolls.

If it is, might be some of your problem, as the liner is too big for the wire. How big of spool is that 8"? If it's the "small" spool, that may also be some of your problem, the direction and angle of the wire as it comes off the spool into the drive rolls.

You can use your 30A with a small spool, just make sure you have the right size drive rolls and tip.

What gas mix are you using on stainless?

Dave
      Last edited by davedarragh; 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM.
      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Following up

I have new .023 drive rolls and tip.
        The liner is .035.
        I'm adding a picture of the gap.
        Currently I'm using C25 gas.
        The gun fitting is snug.

When I was welding I was getting a lot of popping. (second picture).

I know the gas is not optimal, could it be the wrong gas, pops, starts and stops of the wire?

I had my welder set at 18 Volts and 250 IPS.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wrong Gas

I have new .023 drive rolls and tip.
          The liner is .035.
          I'm adding a picture of the gap.
          Currently I'm using C25 gas.
          The gun fitting is snug.

When I was welding I was getting a lot of popping. (second picture).

I know the gas is not optimal, could it be the wrong gas, pops, starts and stops of the wire?

I had my welder set at 18 Volts and 250 IPS.
          Problem #1- Wrong Gas. Should be a "Tri-Mix."

Assuming it is a roll of 308 wire, your gas should be:

90% Helium/7.5% Argon/2.5% CO2 for "short circuit" transfer

Your other problem, might be the liner being too big.

What is the diameter of the actual spool?

Dave
          Last edited by davedarragh; 08-05-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

following 2

Yes the spool is 8" 2 pounds leaving about a 5" spool diameter.

Comment

Gas gas gas

I knew it wasn't the right gas but didn't know it was the wrong gas. Thought I could get by.

Off to get a tank of tri-mix.

Thanks so much for you help!

Roger

Comment

SS Feeding oes

Yes the spool is 8" 2 pounds leaving about a 5" spool diameter.
                Okay, that should be fine. I knew Harris made 8" 2# spools of small wire.

The only two remaining issues are 1.) the gas, and 2.) maybe the liner size.

I've run .023 wire through .035 liners before when I had my MM 140.

That 252 is a sweet machine, I just about bought one last year, but had to settle for the 212 (which is still an excellent machine)

You've got pre-flow settings, and all kinds of neat features on that machine.

Get some "tri-mix" and see how it goes. Do to the "angled" drive rolls on the 212 and 252, not sure if .023 wire would feed without bird's nesting through the bigger liner.

When I put a 33# spool of .035 on my 212, the wire lined up so much better with the drive rolls as compared to an 8# spool. Of course, that large of spool of SS 308 wire would cost a small fortune

Keep us posted how things go.

Good luck

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X