Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How short do you let your tungstens get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How short do you let your tungstens get?

How short do you let your tungstens get?

I discard at around 2" which is about the end of the collet. I have an air-cooled torch--can you go shorter with a water-cooled?
    “Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.”
    “Marriage is a three rings circus: engagement rings , wedding rings and sufferings.”

I run mine down till it wont grip in the collet. I used a piece of 3/8" brass shafting about 1/2" long with the appropriate hole in it to take away the heat while sharpening.
    mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
      I run mine down till it wont grip in the collet. I used a piece of 3/8" brass shafting about 1/2" long with the appropriate hole in it to take away the heat while sharpening.
      +1
      Same here run them till they don't fit anymore
      Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
      Millermatic 252 on the wish list
      Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
      South bend lathe 10LX40
      K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
      Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
      A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
      Auto shades are for rookies
      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I cut mine to 3" before I even put them in my wc torch, but I use a short tail. So, yes wc torches can use them at 2" no problem.
        Dynasty 200 DX runner
        Sync 350 LX
        XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
        Hobart 135
        ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

If you can sharpen it and it will stick out of your cup without falling out of the collet you are good to go.
          Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
            I hold the short tungstens with a Pin Vise for sharpening. It works for all size tungstens. To see what it looks like. Go to the following link then Click on "Drill Bits and Pin Vises".

http://www.ehobbytools.com/index1.html
            Miller Thunderbolt
            Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
            Lincoln LE 31 MP
            Lincoln 210 MP
            Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
            16" DuAll Saw
            15" Drill Press
            7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
            20 Ton Arbor Press
            Bridgeport

Comment

Ok - I'll admit I may be really cheap but for years, I have welded my short tungsten pieces together to save them. I also do this to my titanium tig wire ends to use them up for my titanium sculptures.

Here are some 1/16" 2% thorium tungsten electrodes I tigged together.
              Used a piece of copper as backing- 75 amps DC and 18 sec postflow at 18 Cu ft/hr.

Hard part is keeping them straight as I tig them together - no filler on the 1/16" but I have used 1/16" as filler on the 3/32" and 1/8".

Since I use 2% thorium, I don't need to worry about mixing my alloys.

I have also done the same for 3/32" and 1/8" electrodes as they are more expensive.

"el cheapo"
              Attached Files
              Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
                Ok - I'll admit I may be really cheap but for years, I have welded my short tungsten pieces together to save them. I also do this to my titanium tig wire ends to use them up for my titanium sculptures.

Here are some 1/16" 2% thorium tungsten electrodes I tigged together.
                Used a piece of copper as backing- 75 amps DC and 18 sec postflow at 18 Cu ft/hr.

Hard part is keeping them straight as I tig them together - no filler on the 1/16" but I have used 1/16" as filler on the 3/32" and 1/8".

Since I use 2% thorium, I don't need to worry about mixing my alloys.

I have also done the same for 3/32" and 1/8" electrodes as they are more expensive.

"el cheapo"

I never tried this but I have wondered about how to do it!!

I use a piece of 3/8" brass round about 5/8" long with the tungsten size hole in it for grinding the short pieces, takes away the heat before it gets to the fingers..........!
                I am now using my cutter grinder borazon wheel, it does a beautiful job and doesnt generate much heat either.

Nothing like a little American ingenuity..............
                mike sr

Comment

**** man

That is Cheap. But it works for you..............i guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X