• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 451Mopar
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by H80N View Post

I thought he was wrong... but the book says

Single phase 230VAC... the Dyn 280 wants to see a SloBlow fuse or breaker of 60amps... normal fuse of 80amps

See 5-6. Electrical Service Guide (Dynasty) OM-253 086 Page 24 (Page 30 of the PDF)

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...53086J_MIL.pdf
    It surprised me... maybe one of the Miller factory Techs could comment..??

Hi, I'm a new guy here. Just bought a Dynasty 280 dx tig runner. As I read it, the 60/80 Amp fuse rating (230 volt single phase) is the "MAXIMUM" size fuse you would want to use. It looks like a standard 60 Amp circuit breaker would be fine as long as the wiring is the correct size. I think the "maximum" spec is saying to not go any higher or a short circuit will melt the wiring?

At 230 Volts Single Phase the machine should only pull 52.8 Amps?
    From page 15, the 52.8 Amps would be 280 Amps when stick welding. 280 Amps Tig would be 38.6 Amp, but I don't know it that includes the cooler power? Right now I am using a standard 50-Amp breaker and a 6-50 NEMA plug with 8-awg wiring, but when I measured my voltage it was 248 VAC (not too far from the line transformer.)
    I just got the Machine and so far I have only ran it at maximum of 150-Amp Tig welding. I welded for a few hours the other day, but nothing using alot of current and never tripped the circuit breaker.
    For comparison, from the manual, the 100% duty cycle ratings of 190 amp Tig and 145 stick the input current is only around 24.5 (26.4 stick) Amps.

FWIW, I got my Dynasty from IOC it was about $100 less than CyberWeld:

Last edited by 451Mopar; 02-29-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• cdweld
      • Mar 2016

So I have two Dynasty 350s, one is circa 2006 (manual is OM-216 869N) and the second one I just picked up in October (manual is OM-216 869AH). I'm welding small aerospace parts, both AC on aluminum and DC on stainless & inconel, and with some applications I like to set the starting amperage on my old machine lower than the default .094 tungsten setting.

Now, the older Dynasty only lets me adjust Start Amperage (SA), Start Time (ST), and Polarity (POL) in the TUNG GEN advanced menu. I'm fine with that, ST and POL I generally don't have to mess with. Section 6.2 A-C in the manual covers it just fine.

The new Dynasty lets me adjust SA, ST, POL, Start Slope Time (SST), and Preset Amperage Minimum (PMA). The manual has section 7-2 A-G, but in B when discussing the GEN function, it only gives the default settings for .094 AC and DC as a reference (but not any other other tungsten dimensions). I can't adjust any of the settings in the Tungsten defaults, so I'm stuck having to enter all parameters if I don't want the presets. There is no information about how to change SST & PMA as you increase tungsten size. My old Dynasty has these two parameters fixed in GEN?

I talked briefly to technical support, asking if I can get the SST and PMAs for all of the defaults, and they begrudgingly gave me the .062 defaults, but said they didn't want to publish all of the default settings for fear that competitors might get the info? Like Lincoln can't buy a machine and reverse engineer that stuff?

So looking at the new manual's DC .094 settings, SA = 60A, ST = 1ms, SST = 40ms PMA = 5A. The techs gave me for .062 settings SA = 40A, ST = 20ms, SST = 60ms, PMA = 3A. Why the huge difference in ST & SST, and the difference in PMA? Without anything to reference this off of, I'm just going in blind really.

So if you're letting us change these two settings, can we at least get the default SST/PMA settings? I don't have time to sit around trying to adjust each setting essentially blind. It makes doing anything off of default really easy to f*** up.

-Charlie
      Aerowave
      2 Dynasty 350s

Comment

• dave powelson
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cdweld View Post
        So I have two Dynasty 350s, <SNIP>

So if you're letting us change these two settings, can we at least get the default SST/PMA settings? I don't have time to sit around trying to adjust each setting essentially blind. It makes doing anything off of default really easy to f*** up.

-Charlie
        1-I agree that miller should give u the data you're seeking. The other reality being that nobody's arc start is carved in stone,
        and the user can and should tailor it to his liking. The factory presets based on electrode size are simply to let anybody get an arc start.
        Miller designs and builds great TIG machines in the Dynasty line….but they don't necessarily know or care to know-how to
        setup the machine in optimum ways for the end user….[and IMHO….have repeatedly displayed a rather provincial attitude
        towards end users that just might know a little more about tweakin' settings than they do--which is normal for factory experts.]

2-the 'Blue Lightning' start….on the later 350, for 98% of thick or thin AL, steel or SS that I deal with…is just too violent.
        I'd suspect that's what you'd like to tone down-a bit. [I suspect Miller setup the blue lighting start--to impress the **** out of newbies with just how hot and big the thing lites off. I was rather shocked and not happy with that arc start---the first time I fired my 350.]

3-Rather than try to fiddle and fine tune all the start parameters in the gEN menu….I just crank the SA down to 30A for 3/32 electrode and 20A for 1/16".
        That gives me a nice, tickling, little start to then ramp up as I wish--more like a conventional start on older inverters or trannies.

4-I don't do production work, per se--that would warrant a huge amount of time to spend on fiddling with the arc start. I fiddle--lots, with the arc tailoring in AC or DC for 'the doing' part.

Comment

• cdweld
          • Mar 2016

Pretty much all we're doing is production work, and it is extremely frustrating. When we've messed around with the SST & PMA, it can change the start arc to where it looks & feels like the machine is broken (and apparently where Miller's techs thought it was broken too, exchanged machines back in Dec). Without a chart of the defaults, we have nothing really to base our adjustments on, and telling us that we can't have access to the default settings is like driving a car without a speedometer.
          Aerowave
          2 Dynasty 350s

Comment

• Foolwelding
            • Nov 2015

Well been a while, went and bought the dynasty 280 dx,got it yesterday and finished wiring plug 20 min ago,plugged in turned on, fan came on, digital gage lit up showing dynasty 280 for about 5 sec then pop came from inside machine.I read installer manual checked wiring for single phase black and white for line 1 and 2 and green for ground, red taped back,checked voltage at plug 110 to ground both line 1&amp;2,240 across line 1&amp;2, 50 amp breaker didn't kick out,wow no what to do,has anyone heard of having this type of problem with new welder.HELP PLEASE Thanks Jeff

Comment

• H80N
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Foolwelding View Post
              Well been a while, went and bought the dynasty 280 dx,got it yesterday and finished wiring plug 20 min ago,plugged in turned on, fan came on, digital gage lit up showing dynasty 280 for about 5 sec then pop came from inside machine.I read installer manual checked wiring for single phase black and white for line 1 and 2 and green for ground, red taped back,checked voltage at plug 110 to ground both line 1&amp;2,240 across line 1&amp;2, 50 amp breaker didn't kick out,wow no what to do,has anyone heard of having this type of problem with new welder.HELP PLEASE Thanks Jeff
              Jeff

Call Miller in the morning at 1-800-4-A-Miller (1-800-426-4553).

They will connect you to the right folks to get you fixed up.............

PLS keep us posted

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• Foolwelding
                • Nov 2015

Well finally got replacement Dynasty 280DX set up and welding, wow what a difference from my 200 dynasty. I welded 1/4 6061 with 5356 3/32 laid in real sweet 235 amps 200 hertz and 195 amps at 100 hertz just to play tonight. Called miller tech line, asked why fan runs as soon as turned on, was concerned since 200 don't run till gets warm, the tech stated that's how it is set up, coolant pump needs to run little longer when done with weld for my taste. Guess will have to read manual to figure at all little secrets,will only go down to 10 amps

Comment

• H80N
                  • Nov 2003

Well finally got replacement Dynasty 280DX set up and welding, wow what a difference from my 200 dynasty. I welded 1/4 6061 with 5356 3/32 laid in real sweet 235 amps 200 hertz and 195 amps at 100 hertz just to play tonight. Called miller tech line, asked why fan runs as soon as turned on, was concerned since 200 don't run till gets warm, the tech stated that's how it is set up, coolant pump needs to run little longer when done with weld for my taste. Guess will have to read manual to figure at all little secrets,will only go down to 10 amps
                  Glad you got it resolved...............

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

• mfrk
                    • May 2015

Anyone know how to "UNCONTAMINATE" Aluminum ?????? I welded on a new Aluminum auto A/C line & it came out good but a used one wont let the rod melt into it & it looks like DO DO

Comment

• H80N
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by mfrk View Post
                      Anyone know how to "UNCONTAMINATE" Aluminum ?????? I welded on a new Aluminum auto A/C line & it came out good but a used one wont let the rod melt into it & it looks like DO DO
                      PICS pls......................

PLUS... machine model & settings

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

• dave powelson
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mfrk View Post
                        With the a/c line off vehicle, flush the residual oil inside out with acetone, etc., blow it out dry-first.

Comment

• JAFR
                          • Sep 2006

A few weeks ago I purchased a 210DX with the coolmate 1.3. I was reading an article about manually adjusting the EP and EN values. How do I do this on this machine?

Comment

• H80N
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by JAFR View Post
                            A few weeks ago I purchased a 210DX with the coolmate 1.3. I was reading an article about manually adjusting the EP and EN values. How do I do this on this machine?
                            See:

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

• JAFR
                              • Sep 2006

Our weld shop has a 280DX and it goes lower than 10amps. I have a 210DX and all I had to do is change the tungsten size and will go as low as 1amp....

Mike

Comment

• JSKI
                                • Sep 2019

Please delete
                                Last edited by JSKI; 11-24-2019, 05:01 AM.
                                Miller Dynasty 400 wireless
                                Miller Dynasty 280 DX wireless
                                Miller Maxstar 150 STH
                                Miller 350P Mig with XMR Gun
                                Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
                                Accurpess Accell 12' x 175ton

Comment

Working...
                                X