X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civility

Guys & Gals
    I have been a member of this forum for a very very long time and really do appreciate that Miller provides it for our education and entertainment.... It never ceases to amaze me that we have such a phenomenal base of knowledge among the members... ask a question about nearly anything welding related.. and at least one member will provide info from personal experience... or at least point to a technical article or source that may help.... During my career I have been lucky enough to work with and around some of the smartest people on the planet.... and now that I am semiretired and welding... I am no less impressed by the number of truly talented people on this forum.......
    I am however troubled.... it seems that as the economy has worsened... attitudes have followed suit.... sometimes I see a meanspiritedness... that is so far below the caliber of the people here..... WE are better than that!!!
    We are a community.... and as times get tougher... we need to support each other more and stick together..
    Just My 2cents Worth
    Thanks
    Heiti
    Last edited by H80N; 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: Clarity

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Well stated.....X2!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Care to point to some threads of late that express this mean spirit?

Or was this more of an inspirational post?

Comment

I agree.

There are tons of sarcastic remarks within threads.
        A lot of these are threads started by novice welders and it seems these guys spare no one.

I'm a member of some firearm forums and you would think those guys would be more aggressive than our members here but they are way more accepting of new questions. They may be short in answers of repeated questions or link them to search pages, but they never degrade them for asking.

I know we went through this a few months ago and the whole forum attitude was more pleasant after.
        So, If it makes you feel better to slam others or you enjoy a side of sarcasm with your posts, you will find them deleted. If you still can't play nice, your "REPLY" button won't be working anymore.

A-

Comment

Well put X3
          DYNASTY 200SD
          COOLMATE 1
          MM140AS
          SPOOLMATE 100
          SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
          SPECTRUM 125C

Comment

I have found so much information on this site. I'm an old guy (48) but a baby (2 months) to welding. This site is a daily ritual now because I have a lot of catching up to do.

Sometimes you can't find what you want if you look in previous posts but most the time you can.

I agree that the vets shouldn't slander the ignorant. Sometimes though, I think the ignorant should think/read a little before they post.

Comment

I agree!! H80N, well stated.

If I had the time, I could definately shuffle through some of the posts on here and find the sarcasm, rudeness and otherwise crude remarks that I have seen and have always felt that they are uncalled for!

A quick story: I did a mobile job for a popular Doctor in my area about a week ago, needless to say he wasn't having any problem affording me, but as we were talking he mentioned 2 other welding businesses (weldors) that he had come out and take a look at his projects he needed done and they were both rude, gruff and arrogant and in the end blew him off and never called or returned to quote him on the work (NO, it was nothing hard or impossible). First thing I thought of were some of the remarks I have seen on here. He thanked me for being polite, professional and having a good attitude. That's what it's all about!

Yeah, for the most part, we're ruff, tuff and can be gruff (if need be), but we don't have to make people feel stupid because we know what we're talking about and they don't. Let's continue to help each other out! And by the way, speaking of helping out, please see my thread about my aluminum spoolmate 100 burning back at the contact tip (just started doing this)

Comment

It was like this in the Good Times
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I agree completely...
                  Dynasty 200 DX runner
                  Sync 350 LX
                  XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
                  Hobart 135
                  ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    It was like this in the Good Times

I've been using the Internet since something like 1981. People always
                    seem to be able to be somewhat more offensive electronically than
                    they are in person, regardless of the economic times, etc. It also
                    always seems to come in waves. Everything is going fine until someone
                    is intentionally or accidentally rude, or is taken the wrong way, or
                    whatever, and then things spiral off into the weeds...

One enjoyable difference reading threads in this forum is that
                    Godwin's law does not seem to apply.

frank

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                      I've been using the Internet since something like 1981. People always
                      seem to be able to be somewhat more offensive electronically than
                      they are in person, regardless of the economic times, etc. It also
                      always seems to come in waves. Everything is going fine until someone
                      is intentionally or accidentally rude, or is taken the wrong way, or
                      whatever, and then things spiral off into the weeds...

One enjoyable difference reading threads in this forum is that
                      Godwin's law does not seem to apply.

frank
                      Give it time LOL.

I believe this is because Miller does not have an Off Topic section, which is rather nice.
                      Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM.
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        Guys & Gals
                        I have been a member of this forum for a very very long time and really do appreciate that Miller provides it for our education and entertainment.... It never ceases to amaze me that we have such a phenomenal base of knowledge among the members... ask a question about nearly anything welding related.. and at least one member will provide info from personal experience... or at least point to a technical article or source that may help.... During my career I have been lucky enough to work with and around some of the smartest people on the planet.... and now that I am semiretired and welding... I am no less impressed by the number of truly talented people on this forum.......
                        I am however troubled.... it seems that as the economy has worsened... attitudes have followed suit.... sometimes I see a meanspiritedness... that is so far below the caliber of the people here..... WE are better than that!!!
                        We are a community.... and as times get tougher... we need to support each other more and stick together..
                        Just My 2cents Worth
                        Thanks
                        Heiti
                        I am in agreement here, no need for the flak. I like to think that a wise individual doesnt do this.
                        There is a huge knowledge base here as well, I am realizing that I have led a rather sheltered life myself!!
                        Last edited by popspipes; 08-07-2009, 08:19 AM.
                        mike sr

Comment

I agree with this.

Comment

I agree. Everyone wants to be treated good. Most people are rude on the web simply because they won't in all likelyhood wind up with a broken nose. I'm no great weldor by any means basically a farm hand that started in high school at the vocational school and pick up whatever I can when I can knowledge wise. As far as questions that get repeated... I don't know everything and never will and have always been taught the only stupid question is the one unasked. Folks should be willing to dig for it though. That's why I haven't personally started any threads of my own. I looked first.

Comment

The stamina for communication is greater than the stamina for being polite. In any medium of communication, the bad side of human nature will eventually come out. Talk to your friend long enough and you will find something to be enemies over. Talk to your enemy long enough and you will find some shred of common ground. Talk long enough about anything and you will find your own foot in your mouth.

But the ones I dread are the true agitators. The ones that bring up some sort of stupid crap for the sole purpose of pushing your buttons to get a rise out of you.

Most people are rude on the web simply because they won't in all likelyhood wind up with a broken nose.
                              So true. When the threat of being quickly shut up for belligerence is taken off the table, people say the darnedest things. For the best example of these guys, tune through 80m until you hear someone talking about how AmeriCorps volunteers are planning to kill our kids so the UN can cede global order to an alien race. If you don't have a HF radio, a Paltalk account will suffice.
                              Last edited by Bodybagger; 08-25-2009, 11:24 PM.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                              Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                              "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                              "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                              "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Working...
                              X