bad tig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad tig

have a tig rig that has not been used in about 6 or 7 tears. arc is noisie and smokes metal with boiling porosity. the obvious thing is no argon, but not the case. checked polarity, switched power sources, cleaned torch, purged line, tried different flow rates, i don"t get it. never have seen anything like it. any help?

Originally posted by willy906 View Post
    have a tig rig that has not been used in about 6 or 7 tears. arc is noisie and smokes metal with boiling porosity. the obvious thing is no argon, but not the case. checked polarity, switched power sources, cleaned torch, purged line, tried different flow rates, i don"t get it. never have seen anything like it. any help?
    It almost has to be an issue with the argon gas. Do you have another bottle of gas to try?
    What thickness and type of metal are you trying to weld up?
    At what settings are you using?
    The argon is what I think is at fault........ pg
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

I think it's the gas also, but it seems very strange after 30 years of welding i've never encountered this. i'll take my torch to work and try it there. then i'll know. i have had plenty of bad bottles but have never had one "go" bad. it has 700 lbs in it.

Comment

OK. Let us know what you find to be the cause. I am really curious because I have not seen this happen before either (bad argon) unless you somehow got the bottle switched with 75/25 over the years the Tig was not used.
        pg
        Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
        Coolmate 3
        MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
        HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
        Victor O/A Rig
        Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
        10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
        Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
        Baldor 10 inch Buffer
        Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
        Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
        Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
        Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
        Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

I only need argon. aluminum and TIG. I'll see what happens and post tomorrow.

Comment

I'm no expert but I thought I'd wager a guess anyway... How about the high frequency function on the machine? I know for welding aluminum you have to use A/C, high frequency. Not sure about the new machines but I know the older machines used contact points as part of the high freq system and they can get dirty and wear out.

Comment

Check the gas hose connection at the torch. I had a air-cooled torch where the hose was melted at the connection in the torch, so only small percentage of the gas was exiting the cup.

Comment

bad gas

have been real busy this week. just checked out torch today and it functions normally. someone please explain how an inert gas can go corupt.
                thanks every1

Comment

Is the argon tank fresh or has it been idle for the 6 years with the welder?

Comment

don't think I should peg the supplier 4 this gas I have but I would like 2

Comment

I would say its a hose problem, check to see if it holds pressure, turn off the torch and bottle and see if the pressure drops, I have had a knick in a hose or a loose fitting cause all sorts of grief..........

Argon doesnt go bad from sitting.
                      mike sr

Comment

I was welding Inconel at a power house a couple of years ago and started having problems just as you have. Checked tig torch and connections, had electrician check welder and every other thing the boss and I could think of with no luck. Finally put new torch on and everything was back to normal. We would have sworn there was nothing wrong with the old one.

Just saying that what appears to be a good torch isn't always the case. And popspipes is right, argon doesn't go bad.
                        Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

Working...
                        X