X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by Youngwelder856 View Post
    Alright I have a job interview at an industrial Contractor August 4th... Problem is i have no idea what boiler tube overlay is (The job calls for boiler tube overlay welder) and really am worried, but im not sure if the welding test that proceeds me is boiler tube overlay or if its a another type of test... but in the mean time im just focused on wanting to know what Boiler Tube Overlay is and what the task at hand will be
    Youngwelder856
    We do a lot of field overlay here on the west coast where the companies are just patching rather then replacing. Alot of the time there will be known wear points which are ndt'd every time the boiler is down and at a certain point you overlay, i.e. bends and areas near soot blowers. These can be short one to two foot areas and are usually just done by downhand stick or downhand tig. The areas would be marked off by testing people and you run a bead down either side working towards the middle. Work on two or three tubes at a time to keep them cool and so you can power brush a batch between passes. Each pass overlaps the previous by at least 50% because as you come to the front the tube will be getting thinner (more worn). Final inspection will be a dye pen test.
    There are various designs of automatic wire feeders in use and usually the company gives training to their procedure and then tests you. Simplest set-up was downhand with a pulse-wire suitcase. On bigger projects, there is a system where a track can be attached to a boiler wall and an automatic head runs up and down while you turn knobs and watch. Tough part is that as a newby you may be required to do prep work, sandblasting and grinding/buffing. Heard some of these companies like to run 4-6 hours between breaks to keep machines running. With multiple machines running there is usually ventilation problems and hopefully you get supplied fresh air.

Leave a comment:

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    Showdog,

I did not know that CE had built an orbital welder. Do you know what year it was built in? I know that a Lithuanian engineer working for North American Aviation first designed an orbital tube system in the mid 60's. He later founded Astro Arc, which is now part of Polysoude. In 1967 Dimetrics was founded in north Hollywood and quickly set the benchmark for orbital pipe systems. Arc Machines was founded in the mid 70's by two engineers that left Astro Arc. AMI has had alot of success in the 90's with their tube systems, but that has since ended. Magnatech, being an aerospace machine shop quickly caught on to the trend and began producing equipment in the late 70's. Their small pipe heads still have a following today.

These companies all build decent equipment, but only two have a absolute dedication to the actual art of welding and science of metallurgy . Liburdi Dimetrics followed by Polysoude. These two companies are directed by men who's primary concern is weld quality. It really makes a difference. Polysoude realized that and they are following in Dimetrics foot steps.

What separates Liburdi Dimetrics is the fact that they have the fastest switching welding powersoure on the planet. If you ever get a chance to see or hear the arc of a GTVI or P300 system, you will instantly know it is different from any other machine. Words cant describe the difference in arc quality - you have to be there to see it and hear it. Even the industries beloved Maxstar and Dynasty series does not compare to the Pulsweld.

I am interested in any information that you have about the history of the CE orbital designs. Please post what you know. Orbital GTAW is more than just a career to me. I am very interested in the history of this niche industry.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    Alright I have a job interview at an industrial Contractor August 4th... Problem is i have no idea what boiler tube overlay is (The job calls for boiler tube overlay welder) and really am worried, but im not sure if the welding test that proceeds me is boiler tube overlay or if its a another type of test... but in the mean time im just focused on wanting to know what Boiler Tube Overlay is and what the task at hand will be....

MUCH APPRECIATED.... THANK YOU
    Make sure you ask questions and know exactly what your foreman wants you to do. Don't do anything unsafe. Their is a good chance they will be overlaying the WaterWalls so you'll be in the air. Make sure and stay 100% tied-off and inspect your harness (everyday) and make sure it fits good. Good luck and don't let the other hands ride you to hard, everyone starts somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• spgtti72
    replied
    Are you going to a shop or the field? Most tube/vessel overlay is manual or automatic (not a simple bug tractor but most companies build their own proprietary equip) pulsed MIG. Inconel and 347 & 309 ss and carbon are common filler materials. You will most likely test on 1/2" plate in 2,3,&4g positions and bend straps.
    I have worked around WSI's overlay shop and for WTI on shop and field overlay projects. The shop jobs are heavily geared towards production and the field jobs are tough, harsh enviroments to work in that pay well.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
    Youngwelder856-

I dont mean to push your hopes in to the gutter, but if they said "experience orbital pipe cladding" you are probably going to find out that your no where near qualified.

With few exceptions, orbitial is synonomous with GTAW, not MIG. But there are a couple of exceptions.

"Running a bug" would be different that operating orbital pipe equipment. Companies like Gullco and Bug-O build simple tractor devices that do simple welds, but do not compare in the slightest to the "orbital" welding equipment build by Liburdi Dimetrics, Polysoude, or Arc Machines.

Cladding of any kind would be done with a four servo system and you would need to be familiar with how to translate your "welding actions" into variables that would turn into automated motion. May sound easy, but it is much more difficult when decisions and adjustments need to be made quickly. Dont let the term "automatic" fool you.

If orbital pipe welding is of interest to you, I would suggest that you get in touch with your Local UA and talk with them about it. The hot spot for this kind of training would be the Carolina / Georgia / Florida area.

If you are interested in seeing more orbital equipment and applications, visit this web site:

www.dimetrics.com

Liburdi Dimetrics is the industry leader in the Orbital Tube & Pipe welding equipment. LD products are unmatched for quality and service longivity.
    Thanks for the link GTA , I've never had the pleasure to weld with a Dimetrics outfit but do run Astro Arc Polysoude , Arc Machines Inc , and also Magnatek Pipemaster's. The place I work was formerly Combustion Engineering which to my knowledge was the very first to produce a orbital welder. I've actually worked with one of the weld engineer's that helped develope the 'C.E.' orbital welder. We still have a few of the old "C.E." outfits around for historical purposes I suppose.Lots of history and first's where I work.Also the very first welded pressure vessel that was tested to destruction was built at our plant I believe back in the 30's. The vessel itself is a registerd historical landmark or monument to my knowledge and currently sits next to our met lab.Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    Youngwelder856-

I dont mean to push your hopes in to the gutter, but if they said "experience orbital pipe cladding" you are probably going to find out that your no where near qualified.

With few exceptions, orbitial is synonomous with GTAW, not MIG. But there are a couple of exceptions.

"Running a bug" would be different that operating orbital pipe equipment. Companies like Gullco and Bug-O build simple tractor devices that do simple welds, but do not compare in the slightest to the "orbital" welding equipment build by Liburdi Dimetrics, Polysoude, or Arc Machines.

Cladding of any kind would be done with a four servo system and you would need to be familiar with how to translate your "welding actions" into variables that would turn into automated motion. May sound easy, but it is much more difficult when decisions and adjustments need to be made quickly. Dont let the term "automatic" fool you.

If orbital pipe welding is of interest to you, I would suggest that you get in touch with your Local UA and talk with them about it. The hot spot for this kind of training would be the Carolina / Georgia / Florida area.

If you are interested in seeing more orbital equipment and applications, visit this web site:

www.dimetrics.com

Liburdi Dimetrics is the industry leader in the Orbital Tube & Pipe welding equipment. LD products are unmatched for quality and service longivity.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    Inconel 625 Overlay

Showdog: Here's a link to an interesting article from Lehigh University regarding the reasearch during the "early days" of boiler tube cladding in coal fired boilers.

www.lehigh.edu/~iner/leu/leu_23.pdf

Dave

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Stellite Overlay"

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
    I weld in a fab shop that builds replacement's for fossil fuel boilers and the occasional new unit. We fool with ALOT of overlay. Most of the time it's inconel overlay. Can't say I've ever seen any stellite overlay on boiler tube. I run alot of orbital welding machines and time to time we have to make a joint in the middle of a overlay section of tubing we simply peel the overlay back with Millhogs and make the joint according to what the base metal is and after x-ray we then re-overlay the affected area. As far as any kinda weld test pertaining to overlay it should be pretty easy.
    Showdog: Yeah, you're probably right. It's a cobalt base, and I think they can even use it as a spray powder in high-tech applications. Inconel is more than likely what it is.

Whatever he does do, wish him the best of luck. Will certainly open some future doors for him as a Boilermaker.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Come to think of it you'll probably be asked to make a 6g joint test on whatever base material your working with. We do alot of carbon and stainless overlay so get ready for a test on either material. Curious if it's WSI out of Atlanta your gonna test for.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    Rather than replace the tubes, many are "overlayed" with stelite, alloy 33, etc to prolong a little more life out of them. It's more economical

Good luck, keep us posted.
    I weld in a fab shop that builds replacement's for fossil fuel boilers and the occasional new unit. We fool with ALOT of overlay. Most of the time it's inconel overlay. Can't say I've ever seen any stellite overlay on boiler tube. I run alot of orbital welding machines and time to time we have to make a joint in the middle of a overlay section of tubing we simply peel the overlay back with Millhogs and make the joint according to what the base metal is and after x-ray we then re-overlay the affected area. As far as any kinda weld test pertaining to overlay it should be pretty easy.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Going In Orbit"

Funny you said that... he did mention the word (Orbital) I believe that is automated welding... alright... Glad someone could help me....

Just have to see what he gives me for a welding test!?!

THANK YOU!!!
    Could be, don't know for sure. Show up "ready to work." Have your safety gear, glasses, gloves, jacket, boots, cap, etc.

Good luck!

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 07-30-2009, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Youngwelder856
    replied
    More than likely MIG. They may have you running a "bug" though (automated system).

Dave
    Funny you said that... he did mention the word (Orbital) I believe that is automated welding... alright... Glad someone could help me....

Just have to see what he gives me for a welding test!?!

THANK YOU!!!

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Cladding"

Nice, Thank you... One more Quick Question, What welding processes are involved? is thier a certain Technique Involved? Thing is ive tried searching everywhere for a video based on this and just cant find anything and need this little iinsight to keep my SPirits high and tackle this job without hesitation...
    More than likely MIG. They may have you running a "bug" though (automated system).

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Youngwelder856
    replied
    Rather than replace the tubes, many are "overlayed" with stelite, alloy 33, etc to prolong a little more life out of them. It's more economical

Nice, Thank you... One more Quick Question, What welding processes are involved? is thier a certain Technique Involved? Thing is ive tried searching everywhere for a video based on this and just cant find anything and need this little iinsight to keep my SPirits high and tackle this job without hesitation...

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Boiler Tube Overlay'

Alright I have a job interview at an industrial Contractor August 4th... Problem is i have no idea what boiler tube overlay is (The job calls for boiler tube overlay welder) and really am worried, but im not sure if the welding test that proceeds me is boiler tube overlay or if its a another type of test... but in the mean time im just focused on wanting to know what Boiler Tube Overlay is and what the task at hand will be....

MUCH APPRECIATED.... THANK YOU

Leave a comment:

Working...
X