Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piniongear
    replied
    When I hooked up my Dynasty last week I decided to connect it to 3 phase.
    I do not know if there is any advantage of 3ph over single phase, but I suspect 3 ph is a better way to go. The machinery around here runs better on 3 phase than on single phase.

My machine is used at my residence, but I have 3 phase 220V coming into the house and shop. For whatever reason in 1957 the builder installed a 3 phase air conditioning system and back then I guess it was no big deal to run a 3 phase line from an extra transformer hung on the pole.

Today to get 3 phase run to the house would either be impossible or it would cost you two years salary.

Two things amazed me with the Dynasty.......
    1) The low amperage requirement for the machine with 220V. I have mine on a 20 amp circuit running #12 wiring.
    2) The fact that I need not be concerned with which wire goes where (except green to ground) when hooking up the 3 wires and ground. With 3 phase I always get it backward and the motor spins in reverse.

With the Dynasty, that machine figures everything out for itself. It senses the voltage, be it 115V, 220V single or 3 phase, and makes things right inside the box. Just wire up the plug and turn it on............Great!
    pg

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    dogdog,

I've got my Dynasty 200 along with the 120V adapter wired exactly as Broc drew it out and it works just fine.

We know that works, don't we Broc?

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Bonding neutral to ground may work fine in residential applications, but it sucks around marina's, etc.

Sure fire way to insure electrolysis on a boat's running gear. Definite NO NO.

Leave a comment:

• dogdog
    replied
    Thanks All for being so helpful....

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Everything is neutrally bonded now adays for safety, just follow Broc's diagram, and all will work out just fine!

Leave a comment:

• dogdog
    replied
    Thanks all for reply,
    The 220V are pretty clear now, but the 110V.... is a little iffy here is why

When I have my house electrical upgraded last year 2008
    the electrician tied the neutral to ground ... which is what I seen in most households (3 to be exact)

Normally ppl uses red / black for hot and white for neutral , green for ground....

when I read the manual Miller specifies that L1 ==black (corrected ), L2 White and L3 Red (corrected) , and green = ground

if I am hooking it to a 110V, I am taping up the L3(red) since I don't have 3 Phase power into the house

so L1 goes to one of the Hot wire of 1 phase,

Green goes to ground

L2 (white) goes to neutral which is also grounded at the panel.... so it's okay to have this setup for 110V ?

in other word is it okay to ground L2 ?

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    First, Don't get hung up on the colors.

The correct way to do this for single phase (230 or 115) is connect the machines white and black wires to the single phase power and green is gnd. The RED wire is NOT USED at all for single phase.
    Only in a 3 phase hook up does the red get used.

So if you have a 4wire 230Volt house set up, you will not be using the neutral wire.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• engnerdan
    replied
    The tag on the cord tells you to tape back the red wire. Red does not = L1 in this case. maybe for 3 phase but not single phase.

So Black and white each to a line and green to ground. It lays this out pretty clearly in the owners manual.

-Dan

Leave a comment:

• dogdog
    started a topic Hooking up a Miller 200DX

Hooking up a Miller 200DX

Being that this is an expensive TIG machine... needed some insight from the experienced welders on configuring the power to run the 200DX...

the booklet says

L1 = Red ==line 1
    L2 = white == line2
    L3 == black == line3
    Ground = green....

Normal house hold has 220v single phase if black / red (two hot hot are used and neutral is grounded...

or red / neutral == 110V
    black / neutral == 110V

if I am going to hook up the machine to 220/110V single phase which of the 2 wire do I needed?
    The books says for a single phase use L1 and L2 and tape up L3. Does this apply if I use 220V as well ???

for 220V single phase configuration is this correct ?

L1 == red to Hot on plug
    L2 == white to another hot (normally black wire on wall) for 220 V on plug... then green for ground ???
    and tape up the L3 wire mentioned in the book ?

what the configuration for 110 V of needed ?

L1 ==Red == Hot wire on plug

L2 == white == neutral on plug
    ground = ground ???

and tape up the L3 wire mentioned in the book ?

Can some one let me know... the wire I can pull from panel is #6 or larger, 50AMP or more. so capacity is not an issue.
Working...
X