Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downhillroot with beveled plate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • downhillroot with beveled plate

    Im having trouble succesfully making a downhill root on beveled plates, i mean ive already made sure my prep is great and once i start welding it goes good at first and right when i get halfway everything gets to hot and it just goes bad from there I even lower the amps and still acts too hot

    Any tip?

  • #2
    replyy

    Half inch Mild Carbon Steel.
    1/8 6010.
    3/32 root gap opening.
    37 1/2 beveled degree.
    65 amperage.
    Positive electrode/dc
    machine? Miller

    yeah i meant 3g down.

    Comment


    • #3
      Run a 1/16 root opening. The opening should be alittle over half the diameter of your rod. 1/8 rod is hard to run on thick material because you want alot of heat to melt the faces of your bevel, but theres not alot of filler to fill your keyhole in behind you. Try 5/32 rod with a 3/32 root opening and 1/16 root race. Anything over .250 wall pipe, most places supply 5/32 rod for root pass.
      sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by iran8gold View Post
        Half inch Mild Carbon Steel.
        1/8 6010.
        3/32 root gap opening.
        37 1/2 beveled degree.
        65 amperage.
        Positive electrode/dc
        machine? Miller

        yeah i meant 3g down.
        If I was to weld this Id have a 3/32 gap, a 3/32 land.

        Iwould likely turn my remote up 3-5ish(dig is always at 100%) so it wouldn't snuff out the rod because of the tight gap, I wouldnt whip the rod, Id just drag it down and if it was starting to get tight or snuffing out then Id point my rod down and cut a key hole as I draged down, not saying it was right but that how id weld it!

        dont worry about your bevel so much, Id worry more about your land/fit up, guys dont fail x-ray because the bevel wasnt right, its all on the fit up/land and lots and lots of coupons I weld in circles all day so this is just my 2 cents worth

        SAE 350 is that a 6.7 in that dodge of yours? if so how do you keep the engine light off the dam thing???????????????
        Last edited by pipeline Dan; 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM.
        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
        PIPEPRO 304
        TO MANY TOOLS
        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
        and easily upset
        go flames go

        Comment


        • #5
          hey dan, my truck is an 2007 6.7 6spd but I got it brand new last year. 50,000 miles on it so far and no engine light. I have a buddy with an 2008 megacab and it's in the shop all the time with a check engine light. Last time dodge replaced the turbo, and a few weeks later, another light! Maybe you should just take the bulb out
          sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

          Comment


          • #6
            thats the key

            I just took the light out and keep a code reador with me !!! I seamed to fix the problem. I rember when I had to test for my G6 it wase up hill .045 root and .052 dool sheld spray.
            Last edited by Bp on the edge; 07-29-2009, 02:25 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sae350 View Post
              hey dan, my truck is an 2007 6.7 6spd but I got it brand new last year. 50,000 miles on it so far and no engine light. I have a buddy with an 2008 megacab and it's in the shop all the time with a check engine light. Last time dodge replaced the turbo, and a few weeks later, another light! Maybe you should just take the bulb out
              sorry about jacking the thread boys, but ya its had all the sensors replaced been cleaned inside sensors, they wrapped my pipe with some sort of cloth, kind of looks like the wraps from a pipeline, its to keep the sensor warm?? anyways I have lots of snort when the light is off but as soon as it comes on its a dog and it LOVES the fuel, like it get 12MPG!! I have been told to take it on a run for at least 1 hr and it should clean it self out?? I hear guys are taking the DPF out and getting a chip to by pass it? anyways I have lost well over $8gs in lost day money and its still not fixed mines a 07 6.7 with that 6 speed auto tranny. mine has only 60,000 KM.
              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
              PIPEPRO 304
              TO MANY TOOLS
              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
              rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
              and easily upset
              go flames go

              Comment


              • #8
                whip motion

                don't forget the whip motion w/ that, 1/8 burn's good at 100 110 ,cram it in and hold then pull back quick , keep your tip of wire pointing up a bit ,help's suspend the steel a bit to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mark4561 View Post
                  don't forget the whip motion w/ that, 1/8 burn's good at 100 110 ,cram it in and hold then pull back quick , keep your tip of wire pointing up a bit ,help's suspend the steel a bit to.
                  100 110? im controlling the amperage with a dial that is connected to a Miller Mark VIII

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                    sorry about jacking the thread boys, but ya its had all the sensors replaced been cleaned inside sensors, they wrapped my pipe with some sort of cloth, kind of looks like the wraps from a pipeline, its to keep the sensor warm?? anyways I have lots of snort when the light is off but as soon as it comes on its a dog and it LOVES the fuel, like it get 12MPG!! I have been told to take it on a run for at least 1 hr and it should clean it self out?? I hear guys are taking the DPF out and getting a chip to by pass it? anyways I have lost well over $8gs in lost day money and its still not fixed mines a 07 6.7 with that 6 speed auto tranny. mine has only 60,000 KM.
                    Yeah sometimes mine runs like a raped ape, and other times I couldnt pass a vw bus full of hippies to save my as$!! Mine gets 15mpg all the time. I can go around 750 miles on 50 gallons of fuel. I would love to have an old 12 valve.
                    sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mar VIII Amperage

                      Originally posted by iran8gold View Post
                      100 110? im controlling the amperage with a dial that is connected to a Miller Mark VIII
                      He's suggesting setting the amperage from 100 to 110 amps.

                      Most machines have a dial to do this with.
                      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X