Feeding Problem with Millermatic 135 Wire Wlder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Problem with Millermatic 135 Wire Wlder

I have a quesiton that maybe some of you may be able to answer. I have a Millermatic here at work that I am trying to fix. You can plug it in, hit the trigger and it will shoot the wire out of the tip. It will normally keep working until the first weld is made. Once you start welding and let go of the trigger, it will no longer feed wire or gas once you try to start again. There is still power to the welder. However, when you depress the trigger again, the wire does not even try to feed and you do not hear the gas either like you do normally. Originally the overheat light was on. I changed the trigger and the entire pigtail so it is brand new. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me to try. I feel like it is something electrical, possibly a short in the circuit board. This is, however, only speculation. Any ideas??? Please help!!!
    Last edited by Polston; 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM.

Isn't it allllwayys the circuit board, now your wording is a little off.

Once you start welding and release the trigger, the wire stops, duhhh.

After a weld you release the trigger and it does not feed to start a new weld then there is a problem. Are you in between ranges? Though it sounds more like a whip issue, trigger wires are likely touching the counduit probably in the torch head itself

Comment

Reword

Excuse me. That's what I meant. If you press the trigger, the wire does not feed. I do not hear the gas either. I have changed the gun and whip. It is still doing the exact same thing.

Comment

OK, your thermal light lit up on the machine, probably off the drive rollers. Too tight perhaps?

Comment

I had that thought before changing the gun and whip. Did not help. However, after changing the whip and gun, the light does not come on now when it stops working. Like I said, it just will not feed and I do not hear the gas coming out like I normally would.

Comment

I had that same problem with a hobart handler. Come to find out, the board was bad in it.

Comment

Problem is that it does weld, but a thermal is shutting it down. If the drive never turned the board is probably bad, though the drive board is fused. You may have a bad thermal, either though the motor or on the rectifier.

Comment

Problem is that it occationally will work. It is very intermittent. It may work today and it might not work agin for 3 months.

Comment

Take a meter and check the resistance on the trigger terminals and trigger terminals to the weld conduit

Find the only thermal in your unit on wires 29 & 23. This transformer thermal is in a bad location, you might want to move it elsewhere on the transformer. This is your likely problem

Comment

OK, I give.... Why would the thermo be in a bad location??

a-

Comment

Let's not complicate this more than may be needed. First thing we need to do is eliminate the gun as the cause. I know it was replaced but we need to rule it out totally as this would be the #1 cause for this type of issue.

When the unit is acting up use a paper clip or a piece of welding wire to jump pins #1 and #2 in the 4 pin connector on the front of the unit, if the unit works properly we have an intermittent gun issue.

If it's not a gun problem then considering how intermittent it is I would check all the pins in the connectors that plug into the control board. You will also want to check the pins on both sides of the 4 pin connector in the harness running to the fan motor. Use a flashlight and look for any pins that are not locked all the way into the connectors. There are a number of pins that if loose could cause intermittent operation.

An intermitent thermostat is possible but the overtemp light should come on if it opens up. You can verify that the overtemp light is working by un-plugging the thermostat and then powering the unit up. If the light works then it is not thermostat issue.

Although possible I doubt it is a control board issue. Control boards typically don't cause intermittent issues like this.

As for the thermostat I would not suggest re-locating it. The temperature that the thermostat opens up at is set for the current location. If re-located it may not provide any thermal protection for the unit.

Could you provide the serial number? I would like to see if the unit has any service history.
                      Kevin Schuh
                      Service Technician
                      Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Some of the 135's I have written in my book from like 12+ years ago had there transformer thermal located in an area of the transformer that took the most heat. Thats in my miller training book, so I must have gotten it from you guys.

Without seeing the machine, it's rather difficult to t-shoot an erratic error.
                        Last edited by cruizer; 07-23-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I guess the thermo is where it should be.

a-

Comment

I had written in my 135 book, that nuisance tripping may be caused by improper thermal location, that was many, many years ago

Comment

Working...
                            X