millermatic 200 vrs miller 252

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic 200 vrs miller 252

my millermatic 200 is 25 years old, its an old stead, this thing runs just as it did when it was new, i take good care of it but as with anything, nothing last forever, i fear the day i have to lay it up, i will proably replace it with a miller 252, i just use it for steel, no aluminum, i would like to know, what if any difference i will notice in the welding between the 2 machines. i was also wondering if the miller 212 would be an equal replacement to my old friend, i quess only i can decide on 252 or 212, but i am curious as how they feel, how they weld, is the 212 more of a toy or is it a real welder, specs dont say much. need to talk to guys who use these machines, thanks kevin

The 212 is the new version of your machine. Both it and the 252 now have fine adjustment of the welding voltage where your 200 has a range selector switch. This is of significant benefit when you are welding thinner material as you can fine tune the voltage to the project. You have likely experienced times when your welder was set too hot but the next lower range was too cold. This new capability eliminates this problem. The 200 and 212 machines are rated for 3/8" single pass max for steel and the 252 is rated for 1/2" max.
    We recently bought a 252 and are very pleased with how it performs.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Comment

The MM 212 isn't in the same class as the MM 200. the MM 200 will output significantly more top end power. The MM 200 also offers a much higher duty cycle then the MM 212. Going from a MM 200 to a MM212 would be a step backward in top end power and duty cycle.

The MM 200 and MM 252 are similiar in top end output power level and duty cycle. If I remember correct the MM 252 is a little more robust then the MM 200
      Last edited by Danny; 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Kevin,

In answer to your question, you'd be stepping back in "top end" power by going with the MM212 vs the machine you currently have. While the MM212 is a fine welder (surely not a toy), it doesn't have the ***** the 200 did.

Since you stated you don't do/plan to do aluminum, you may be better served (bang for the buck) by keeping your eyes out for a late model MM251. The MM251 is spoolgun ready, whereas the MM252 is also but has the capability of accepting the push/pull guns as well.

Either the MM251 or MM252 would seem to me to be the logical replacements for the MM200. Both are great welders and I'm sure would serve you well.

You didn't mention whether you do much/any spray arc welding, but if you do, that's even more reason to go with the 251/252.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

Well heck this MM200 still runs so by the time it does give up the ghost you could be looking at a MM253
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Good chance the MM200 will last a very long time. These welders were over built compared to the welders of today.
            Millermatic Passport Plus
            Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
            XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
            Dynasty 300 DX
            Thermal Arc 400 MST
            Victor O/A
            Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Crawler,

It's already "lasted a long time".

Hope my 251 does as well.
              Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
              Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
              Hobart HH187
              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
              PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
              Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
              Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
              More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                Crawler,

It's already "lasted a long time".

Hope my 251 does as well.
                Sundown,

Maybe I should have used a better analogy like the Energizer Bunny. "It keeps going and going..."

I'm sure the MM251 will last a very long time too.

Charles
                Millermatic Passport Plus
                Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                Dynasty 300 DX
                Thermal Arc 400 MST
                Victor O/A
                Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Used MM 200 Vs MM211

I'm was going to replace my MM 130xp with a MM211. There's a MM 200 on Craig's list in our area for $650..00. The seller says it was only used for a few projects. The MM 211 is about $965. Any thoughts on which is the better deal?

Comment

So a few years back the company i worked for bought a mm251 i loved that machine it had a great sharp arc, good control and overall just a great machine i abused that thing everyday for 5 years welding 1/2inch almost all of the time i have never ran the 252 personally but i dont think you can go wrong.
                    Syncrowave 250
                    Millermatic 210
                    dialarc 250
                    spectrum 375x
                    trailblazer 302
                    Lincoln 135

Comment

Reid,

The MM200 would give you quite a bit more top end power and duty cycle then the MM 211.

If you plan on welding material over a 1/4" thick, as long as the MM 200 is in good condition, it would be the better choice for this application.

Are you wanting to weld aluminum? It may be difficult to find a spoolgun for the MM 200 that is direct connect.
                      Last edited by Danny; 07-17-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

thanks

i asked and i received, you guys are pros and answered as pros who actually use the equipment, after reading all of your post, the larger machine is the proper machine, this info is only available from people with hands on experience, your time spent is much appreciated.................kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                          my millermatic 200 is 25 years old, its an old stead, this thing runs just as it did when it was new, i take good care of it but as with anything, nothing last forever, i fear the day i have to lay it up, i will proably replace it with a miller 252, i just use it for steel, no aluminum, i would like to know, what if any difference i will notice in the welding between the 2 machines. i was also wondering if the miller 212 would be an equal replacement to my old friend, i quess only i can decide on 252 or 212, but i am curious as how they feel, how they weld, is the 212 more of a toy or is it a real welder, specs dont say much. need to talk to guys who use these machines, thanks kevin

Kevin, I know you might think this is going a bit off the deep end but I am one who believes when you replace equipment you should always try to upgrade and increase your capability. Pretty much like computers and televisions etc. You should try out a new 350P before you make any decision.
                          I have an aluminum business but the 350P is one heck of a STEEL welder that you have to run to believe. It is also an inverter as well, so it is pretty much the same size as the 252 and only needs about 60 amps to run it.
                          I always need to find things to depreciate out on my taxes and welders are good for this. Do it right it will make nice purchase seem even nicer when you do those taxes. I've been laying in the equipment lately and paying less tax than ever

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

to charleyl

yep it has the selector lever, the voltage ranges could be better, talking about the thin stuff, the only way i can dial it in is by changing the stickout of the wire, actually thats really good because it teaches you how to adjust heat without stopping, i read some post sometimes where people are having trouble with the suggested settings, my mm200 is all over the place, i ran it on 208v years back, i had the links in the right place, it ran well on suggested settings, since then i moved my shop twice, both had 240v so i set the links to match, it changed by 1 voltage setting, for example with 208 the settings on machine are right on with 035 lets say # 5 will match up with 30 ipm, now with 240v #4 voltage will dig a hole for 33ipm, i even notice about 3pm when it gets hot in summer and the supply wires are hot and loaded with resistance the welder runs much colder, so i guess the new technology will be a treat. appreciate you input

Comment

fusion king

thats a thought, if i bought it it would be because i love it, i just set up my repair shop in a very rural area, been open since april, the economy is so bad here, no one is working, unfortunatly, me too, not too much going on, i hope some time soon right offs will be considered, thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
                              X