Buying my book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my book?

I have been told by two of my foremen and a superintendent that I should buy my book. The jobs that I have been on have all ended with me doing the foremen job but because I was an apprentice I could not get the title. I am not big into titles, but I have found that it is hard to play the part of foremen when you are an apprentice. To many Journeymen feel that they can’t allow an apprentice to lead. When I first heard about this I thought it sounded a little hinky. But now that I have people all over that want to call me up, but can’t due to my status, I am will to try. So my question is.
    Where do I go to buy my book? I don’t want thinks like “you should go to your local union hall.” This does me no good. I need to know what Locals are willing to sell a book, and what is the criteria needed.

Thanks

Rob Starke
    Yes, If you have the experience.
    18.75%
    Yes, but only in your own Local
    0.00%
    No, there is alot to learn as an apprentice
    81.25%
    No, I went through it, so should you.
    0.00%
    Rob Starke
    Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 Pro (broke)
    Panasonic PANA-Auto KR350 (like the Deltaweld, but old)
    Shindaiwa SMAW welder/Generator X2
    Hobart portable spot welder LG013747
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-Tream (plasma cutter)
    Miller Bobcat 225 8000 watt Generator Welder
    Miller Big 40 Diesel Welding Power Generator

Don't see why you need a book just walk into your local and say you want to be the boss...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Buying a book depends on the local, never seen it anywhere where someone bought a book without proving at least 4-years experience in that particular trade. Some times a letter from an employer that will guarantee you 30-days work will help you buy a book. I’m sure there are exceptions tho!
      Caution!
      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

"Status?"

Originally posted by robstarke View Post
        I have been told by two of my foremen and a superintendent that I should buy my book. The jobs that I have been on have all ended with me doing the foremen job but because I was an apprentice I could not get the title. I am not big into titles, but I have found that it is hard to play the part of foremen when you are an apprentice. To many Journeymen feel that they can’t allow an apprentice to lead. When I first heard about this I thought it sounded a little hinky. But now that I have people all over that want to call me up, but can’t due to my status, I am will to try. So my question is.
        Where do I go to buy my book? I don’t want thinks like “you should go to your local union hall.” This does me no good. I need to know what Locals are willing to sell a book, and what is the criteria needed.

Thanks

Rob Starke
        What do you mean by "your status?"

I'd also recommend you buy a spelling and grammar book.
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
          What do you mean by "your status?"

I'd also recommend you buy a spelling and grammar book.
          That goes for me to. I dont even really understand the question.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

I have heard about guys paying fees to the union to skip an aprenticeship or a lower class worker to a journeyman. Where i was in the sheetmetal union it was a "B" man to a journeyman "A" worker...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

All depends on the local, and the workload at that local. If all the members are working, and the hall cannot get travelers from another local, they have man the job somehow, then it is easy to buy a book!

But when was the last time you saw this?
              Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                But when was the last time you saw this?
                15 years ago. I remember going to the union and the business agent pulled his little note from his drawer and said you will be number 49 on the list...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  15 years ago.
                  It might be another 15-years before you see it again!
                  If ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Caution!

Comment

Buying a Book ?

Hey Guys;

I did hear of it back in the "70's " 30+ yrs. ago !
                    Of course it was NOT Legal , back then it was $500.00 !!!
                    If memory serves it was Kinda' like Black Market out of Quebec ?

............. Norm
                    Last edited by nfinch86; 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I always hear about locals you supposedly can go buy a book at, but have yet to run into a fellow that actually went and did it. It did seem more common years ago, but not so much in today's times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                        It might be another 15-years before you see it again!
                        If ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Yup that sucks. Mine was supposed to be 900 bucks but by the time a few guys took what they wanted it turned into 1,300.00 bucks. Guess i must have bought some beer for the local. Then to move on to a journeyman was another 1,500.00 or so. But i walked in right off the street and was working that afternoon, but that was then...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Status: \ˈstā-təs, ˈsta-\ noun: rank, position, standing, grade

Thanks to everyone who had constructive comments. I think I understand the whole "buying your book" thing. This is something that can be done when there is enough work out there for the Journeymen that are already in the Union. Right now is not a good time for this.

To those who do not know the definition of "Status" here it is
                          [*]Pronunciation: \ˈstā-təs, ˈsta-\ Function: noun [*]Inflected Form(s): plural sta•tus•es Usage: often attributive [*]Etymology: Latin — [*]1 a: position or rank in relation to others <the status of a father> b: relative rank in a hierarchy of prestige ; especially : high prestige2: the condition of a person or thing in the eyes of the law3: state or condition with respect to circumstances <the status of the negotiations>

To those who could not figure out what question I was asking, I don’t know what to tell you. The question was preceded by the statement “So my question is.” I then followed the question up with a few details that pertained to the answers that I was looking for.

I guess if I typed slower I would have less spelling and grammar errors. Maybe if you read faster you could understand what you were reading.
                          Rob Starke
                          Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 Pro (broke)
                          Panasonic PANA-Auto KR350 (like the Deltaweld, but old)
                          Shindaiwa SMAW welder/Generator X2
                          Hobart portable spot welder LG013747
                          Miller Spectrum 375 X-Tream (plasma cutter)
                          Miller Bobcat 225 8000 watt Generator Welder
                          Miller Big 40 Diesel Welding Power Generator

Comment

Exactly what union are you talking about robstarke?
                            Being as you’re already in the system, (apprentice) I don’t think you have a snowballs chance of buying a book and not feeling the repercussions from your own hall. But then again you just might be good enough to tell the BA / dispatcher to pound sand! But depending on what union you are in you better be real good! I have heard stories that in Hawaii the BAs send out a couple Samoans that you can pitch a tent in the shadow they cast to talk to the members who don’t play ball!
                            Caution!

Comment

Pipe Fitters Local 43 in Chattanooga , TN is selling books now. First you must pass all the welding test. This is to man local TVA work . These folks are going out as welders as they have to take another test to get a fitters license. I do not belong to this local but as a officer of the local I belong to can tell you that it is perfectly legal. Locals don't last long with illegal activitys going on , trust me the DOL[department of labor] will hammer your a$$ .
                              Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                              Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                              Rockwell vertical mill
                              Beverly Shear B-3
                              Beverly Shear JR
                              Home-made English wheel
                              Milwaukee Porta-band
                              " Sawz-all
                              Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                              Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                              Powcon 300st

Comment