Clear All

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    simple But it should work.

Leave a comment:

• trevwelder
    replied
    Originally posted by Day Welding View Post
    well guys, I finally built a welding truck. Thought I would share some pics. I was always lookin for ideas when I was building this. Hope you enjoy. any comments welcome.

What I have:
    1992 dodge cummins
    9' flatbed w/ goose neck hitch
    2 under bed boxes
    1 custom built aluminum rat pack under welder
    1 Trail blazer 302
    1 craftsman 5 drawer box
    1 bed side white tool box
    1 hitch mount lift crane
    1 bed mounted 8" vise
    1 custom build resessed torch set holder.
    1 welding lead holder rollers.
    1 set of air bags to hold it all

Hay Day Welding, Nice rig! Thought i would say HI to a local! I run a small portable welding biz in Buhl ID!

Leave a comment:

• MR.57
    replied
    Gear ratios for the first gen CTD 4x4's:
    Pre-91 with non overdrive 727 auto = 3.07 (oddball because it uses a dana 61 front axle instead of dana 60)
    91.5+ OD auto = 3.54 or 4.10
    5 speeds = 3.54 or 4.10

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Ratio Rite

lol. nice. that turbo out of the 2nd generation i put in sure helped with my super smoke problem. still throws it out if i drop the hammer. so, i feel dumb for having to ask, but where do i look to see what ratio i have? I have been wondering. I think its the 4.10, because it doesn't run out every gear except for 5 and 6 very far. you should come join up at www.dieseltruckresource.com they have all generations of dodges over there. I have been getting good advice from them.
    Three ways to tell what ratio you have, first is there a tag on the pumkin some where,? Second count how many turns the axle turns to one of the drive shaft, not the tire/wheel. Third pull the cover off and the ratio is stamped on the ring gear.

Leave a comment:

• Day Welding
    replied
    Originally posted by shortarc View Post
    The one I have has the 3.42 gears in it and that helps a lot. A lot of them have the 4.10 or 4.11 cant remember which Dodge uses, if you have that you might be getting about all you can get.

Mine just got started life as my welding truck after I retired, before that it was a daily driver.

When I replaced the pump on mine I found a used one but it had been turned way up, but as long as I feather foot it I can still get the mileage that it always did. But if I put my foot in it all bets on mileage are off but I can sure put out a lot of smoke.

lol. nice. that turbo out of the 2nd generation i put in sure helped with my super smoke problem. still throws it out if i drop the hammer. so, i feel dumb for having to ask, but where do i look to see what ratio i have? I have been wondering. I think its the 4.10, because it doesn't run out every gear except for 5 and 6 very far. you should come join up at www.dieseltruckresource.com they have all generations of dodges over there. I have been getting good advice from them.

Leave a comment:

• shortarc
    replied
    I hope i can get 21 mpg out of this one. It was suped up before I bought it,and now has a 6speed Nv5600 tranny in it. i only got 16 mpg doing 65 when i first got it. it has 80hp injectors too, so i put a new worked over turbo on it from a 2nd generation. it bolted up, no problem. only $250. it burns a lot cleaner and runs up to speed easier. so hopefully i can catch up to your mileage. I ran out of the back of my 04 cummins b4 i bought this truck. it was rough. so thats y i bought this and did the flatbed. Its such a relief. lol.
    The one I have has the 3.42 gears in it and that helps a lot. A lot of them have the 4.10 or 4.11 cant remember which Dodge uses, if you have that you might be getting about all you can get.

Mine just got started life as my welding truck after I retired, before that it was a daily driver.

When I replaced the pump on mine I found a used one but it had been turned way up, but as long as I feather foot it I can still get the mileage that it always did. But if I put my foot in it all bets on mileage are off but I can sure put out a lot of smoke.

Leave a comment:

• Day Welding
    replied
    Originally posted by shortarc View Post
    You can't go wrong with that old first generation Dodge, It will run forever with a little care.

I have one. I'm still working out of the original pickup bed. Bought it new in 92 has 295,000 miles and all I've done is replace the inj. pump and it still wont use any oil between changes and if I drive it easy will get 21 mpg.

I hope i can get 21 mpg out of this one. It was suped up before I bought it,and now has a 6speed Nv5600 tranny in it. i only got 16 mpg doing 65 when i first got it. it has 80hp injectors too, so i put a new worked over turbo on it from a 2nd generation. it bolted up, no problem. only $250. it burns a lot cleaner and runs up to speed easier. so hopefully i can catch up to your mileage. I ran out of the back of my 04 cummins b4 i bought this truck. it was rough. so thats y i bought this and did the flatbed. Its such a relief. lol.

Leave a comment:

• Day Welding
    replied
    urch55

That socket is a good idea for the crane!! I actually use it quite a bit. I do Irrigation pipe fitting and welding. a lot of the time I need the extra reach of the crane out the back of the truck so i can reach down in a trench without the truck so close to the edge. But, that is one reason also I had it on the hitch is because i was concerned about pulling a goose neck. I may have to mount it up there anyways. It would be more out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• shortarc
    replied
    You can't go wrong with that old first generation Dodge, It will run forever with a little care.

I have one. I'm still working out of the original pickup bed. Bought it new in 92 has 295,000 miles and all I've done is replace the inj. pump and it still wont use any oil between changes and if I drive it easy will get 21 mpg.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Off Road Welding Services

I can see why you would need air bags. Your truck looks like you can get the job done. What are you planning on lifting with the crane.? Would it be better on one of the rear corners,? You could weld a socket flush with the bed so you could remove it and still use the truck to haul a goose neck trailer.
    You done a nice job on the truck bed..
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Day Welding
    started a topic 92 dodge welding truck

92 dodge welding truck

well guys, I finally built a welding truck. Thought I would share some pics. I was always lookin for ideas when I was building this. Hope you enjoy. any comments welcome.

What I have:
    1992 dodge cummins
    9' flatbed w/ goose neck hitch
    2 under bed boxes
    1 custom built aluminum rat pack under welder
    1 Trail blazer 302
    1 craftsman 5 drawer box
    1 bed side white tool box
    1 hitch mount lift crane
    1 bed mounted 8" vise
    1 custom build resessed torch set holder.
    1 welding lead holder rollers.
    1 set of air bags to hold it all
    Attached Files
Working...
X