Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctraugh2005

Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
    When is this idiocy going to stop? No, a quick direct look at the sun will not prevent flashburn, nor will looking at it straight on!! Get a freakin' clue!
    I guess being an "old time welder" makes it alright to be rude. I dont know what gives you the right to insult me like that. I said nothing wrong in my post, I didnt say that by looking straight on a weld will prevent you from getting burned. I guess I need to make myself more clear.

When I went to the doctors that day and he asked me what I did I told him I was helping a few welders and I wasnt looking at the welds, he then told me that you can get burned worse when you dont look at the welds because you dont feel the pain as much as if you look straight on.

Im not saying to use any old time cures, I recumend going to the doctors anytime you burn your eyes, and yes I do have a clue.

I may be new to the forums, I am not new to welding.

Have a good day,
    Chris
    Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• JSFAB
      • Feb 2009

All I will say is this. Years ago, had to be cool, wore contacts. Got flashed, not a terribly lot of times, but it still happened. At some point I decided, I was a handsome s exy dude, with or without glasses, tossed the contacts, started wearing cool tinted glass glasses, for regular life, and picking up girls. Also had several pairs, of prescription safety glasses made up. Full UV, IR protection. Never had another flash. Co-oincidence, or just getting older and smarter??? Who knows. Probably a little of both.

Landreo, is correct, about contacts,,,, they don't make a difference, as far as damage. MY experience, has only to do with the fact, once I quit contacts, I always had another level of protection, safety glasses, over my eyes in addition to the proper required level of protection,,,, ie, full face shield, welding hood, etc.

And once, you've ever tried digging contacts out of your eyes, after a flash, you don't ever particularly want to do it again.

I will note also, most shops today, require ANYBODY, whether employees, salesmen, potential customers, whoever, touring the shop, anywhere near the shop, wear safety glasses. And the employees especially, need to have their glasses on at all times, a double level of protection, even under the full face shield or welding hood.

And the "handsome" part???? I don't know if the glasses are good or bad, but I still got good hair. Ask Broccoli, we've met before.
      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• JSFAB
        • Feb 2009

Landreo, I do make it a point, of telling the eye doc my history, anytime I get a new prescription. Sounds like you would know, is it safe, to assume, if there's any permanent damage, he could tell, either by looking in your eyeballs, or thru the various tests???? I always ask him, particularly,,, to look for this, you have to understand, I already can't hear, I don't want to be the next Hellen Keller. Amazing, admirable lady, of course, but I sure don't want to be both blind and deaf.

My understanding, too many flash-burns, or too strong flash-burns, you burn the back wall of the retina, and you loose certain "spaces" within your field of vision.

Correct, or not??? Understand, this is probably the most mis-understood, and most mis-represented part of the whole industry. Also understand,,,,, I'm not gonna take what some guy says on the interweb, as gospel, but anything you do say, gives me more information, to check out further, with my own eye-doc, next time I see him. But I would appreciate, any particular comments or observations you might have.
        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• landreo
          • Aug 2009

The light from welding is UV, visible, and infrared. It is the UV light that causes the corneal burn and can also cause cataract formation. Little of the UV light gets all the way to the retina but there is still some discussion and disagreement of the effects of that small amount of UV and the potential to damage the retina. UV damage to the cornea is the welders flash and most eye docs agree there is really no permanent damage. However, strong UV light can damage the genetics of tissue and may cause damage that is not clinically visible, so there may be permanent damage in addition to the acute pain. Strong visible and infrared light can damage the retina with long enough exposure and give blind spots in the vision. Unlikely with a flash but possible with long exposure.

Contact lenses may "stick" to the cornea and have to be removed while treating a welders flash. We also occasionally place a contact lens on the eye as clear bandage over the eye during treatment for welders flash. The contacts will not focus the light on the cornea nor will contact lenses melt or make the flash damage worse.

Welders flash is a sunburn of the front of the eye and can be very painfull but should heal without any permanent vision loss. However, strong UV light can damage the chromosomes of tissue and may well cause some unseen long term effects, not much is known at this time.

A discomfort in the eyes may be dryness, dust, fumes, or welders flash. Not all mild discomfort needs the attention of a doc but if the discomfort is getting worse and not better then seek some medical advice. Also, if your eye is uncomfortable, take out the contact lenses, they will only make things worse.

Comment

• JSFAB
            • Feb 2009

Thanks, Landreo. I think you probably just explained the whole thing about arc rays, light, eye damage better than anybody ever has, on this board, or any other message board I've read.

Comment

• idahoguy
              • Nov 2012

When I was starting out I would practice 5-6 hrs a day stick welding with an old style helmet and a #10 shade. Often I couldn't get the old helmet down fast enough and by the end of the day I would have a mild case of eye flash burn. I found that when I detected the initial discomfort in my eyes (slight soreness, etc.) I used a sterile eye lubricating solution from CVS aright away. That seemed to relieve the pain and let me sleep through the night until the next day or so when the eyes had healed. Now I always carry a bottle with me in my gear bag. It wasn't long before I went to an AD helmet. Recently, I started wearing UV safety glasses under my helmet.

Comment

Working...
              X