Work World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work World

Work here in Maine is slow with everything shutting down. They keep saying that people are going to be going back to work soon but no action is happing. I hope the woods crews go back to work soon so they can start breaking stuff agen so I can put my welder to good use agen. Its hard to tell when thing will pick up agen. So anyway what going on every where but here.

Not much down this way,slow also seems everybody/thing is at a stand still.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

yea same here there is nothing going on

Comment

nothing going on around here

Comment

I have been laid off since the first of Feb-09 and have looked all over the surounding area with little luck at all everybody is slow right now or just not doing anything, but I did get a call Friday for a weld test and interview with a good company out of Elkhart,In called Dometic which they do alot with the RV,marine,hotels and truck componets as a lead/supervisor.

For a new proto-type start up they are doing were they will train me for about 60 days at a different location then to be transfered to the Elkhart plant were I will help train all new welders they hire after me and set-up the new department so I really excited and a little cocerned about the interveiw because its the only spot they are hireing for and there is alot of other welders out of work around here as well. But the spot they have is for a qualified tig welder with supervisory exp 5yrs plus so that kind of narrows it down other then just a tig welder, so I'll just see what happens on Monday.

Oh I almost forgot they said the interveiw would take about 2 hrs
          maybe thats why I'm nervous.

Thats what going on around here.
          Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
          RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
          Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
          Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
          DeWalt chop saw-(home)
          Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
          Lincoln 225 arc welder
          Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
          assortment bar clamps

Comment

Dometic makes very nice gas/electric refrigerators and A/C units for RV's, among other things. It's surprising they're hiring anyone, since the RV manufacturing industry in Elkart, IN is in very sad shape right now. RV's are not selling, so no need to manufacture them, so no need to buy refrigerators or A/C units for them. Take that job and run with it, it may be the only position they hire in for awhile.

Not alot going on around here, tons of out of work welders, not much manufacturing or building going on. I was lucky enough to land on a school building project welding the sheetmetal framing for prevailing wage. Good pay and regular work, it's been nice but won't last much longer, project is almost done. I'll go back to trying to make ends meet doing private customer jobs at bargain prices just to keep busy and keep the money flowing when this project is done.
            Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
            Millermatic175
            MillermaticPassport/Q300
            HTP MIG200
            PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
            ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
            Purox oxy/ace
            Jackson EQC
            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
            -LoadNGo utility bed
            -Bobcat 250NT
            -PassportPlus/Q300
            -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
            -Smith oxy/propane
            -Jackson EQC

Comment

I would get on the horn and find out what type of amperage control method they use there...Elkhart is PONTOON country for sure and many folks in that biz love the button. You may have to show you can adapt your style. If you can learn what they use you could get a leg up on everyone else.
              If they do use the button, most run it hotter than you could ever believe.
              Sitting down and using the pedal isn't too likely. Unless it is just small stuff.

Oops I see a new post and yep it is small stuff...good luck
              Last edited by FusionKing; 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

tough place to earn a living

i lived and worked in me. some time ago, samples shipyard, boothbay hbr, and washburn and doughty, sorry it burnt, do you know if they are rebuilding? im just down south a bit now in so. nh, greenfield, just started a repair shop, im 57 years old and have been hoarding tools and equip. for 57 yrs so my shop is fully equiped with all kind of welding related stuff and i quess my skills and knowledge are as good as the next guy, give or take, i officially opened up for business april 1 of this year, i have made 90 bucks so far, i had a shop in the 80s to 90s and did very well. ive applied to all welding shops for work, nothing, mostly all calls i get is people looking for work, i face a similiar problem as you, where i am, most people are farmers or woodsmen, or owner/operators heavy equip, ect. these guys are mostly self sufficient, you see alot of people down there in maine are capable of doing their own work, all of my old friends worked as welders and also did electrical, plumbing, wood work, and any thing else you can think of, maine is different than most other states, i hope it never changes, people are very independent and self sufficient. our country is changing for the worst with all of these mill closings, us to in nh has been hit hard with the paper mills leaving. i think all of us who like to do this 24/7 will be ok, but it will take some time, all i know is that no one can take my skills away and they have a value, good luck down there, in maine, flatlander kevin

Comment

i am at three weeks at my new job, making stainless safety railings for boats, i believe things are starting to pick up and hope to see you all working soon

Comment

In my area it is hit and miss. I am seeing several different businesses failing or at least complaining.
                    Mine has been sorta like last year so far. I'll be busy for awhile and then nothing for about a week and then busy again.
                    2 or more years ago, at this time of year, I would have a month backlog and make several people upset because they have to wait. Not now...I just knock 'em out as they come up. It is actually less stressfull than being overwhelmed. Time to get some things done and I have had time to manage my money better as well. Just counting my blessings because I am employed better than many of my friends with regular jobs.
                    So, strangely enuff I have gained a few marinas that I haven't been to for a good while. I guess the competition died off?? Got me, but it is a good time to break out the milk and cookies for sure and build/reinforce relationships.
                    And also a good time to diversify as well. I am still laying tools etc. to keep me in the shop more than mobile...even tho now I am almost all mobile again for the summer.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
                      Work here in Maine is slow with everything shutting down. They keep saying that people are going to be going back to work soon but no action is happing. I hope the woods crews go back to work soon so they can start breaking stuff agen so I can put my welder to good use agen. Its hard to tell when thing will pick up agen. So anyway what going on every where but here.
                      mk

i read an article in the last few days about how cianbro in brewer
                      is having some severe problems finding competent, experienced,
                      qualified welders. I realize that island falls is not close to brewer,
                      but maybe any port in a storm and all that...

good luck

frank

(for those that are interested -- if i recall right, the article
                      was said that for people with 'average' qualifications, or not
                      much experience, etc, the current economy is tough -- but if
                      you've got some specialized skills, high qualifications, etc
                      then things are "not too bad")

Comment

Picking- Up !!

Things have really picked up lately ! Not many farm repairs here in Farm Country. Mostly Custom Fab Jobs, and some Mobile Work to keep fairly busy

I guess things could allways be better, but considering the economy, I'm not doing too badly !!
                        I bought a Spool Gun two weeks ago, so i'm trying to figure this New Process
                        ( new to Me ) out. So far I'm not doing so well, Big Difference from Mig Welding Steel ! But We just keep moving forward !

........... Norm
                        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                          Things have really picked up lately ! Not many farm repairs here in Farm Country. Mostly Custom Fab Jobs, and some Mobile Work to keep fairly busy

I guess things could allways be better, but considering the economy, I'm not doing too badly !!
                          I bought a Spool Gun two weeks ago, so i'm trying to figure this New Process
                          ( new to Me ) out. So far I'm not doing so well, Big Difference from Mig Welding Steel ! But We just keep moving forward !)

........... Norm

Hot dang good for you ole buddy!!
                          Just crank it up and move fast...you'll catch on. And before you know it the word will get around you do aluminum and you will be tigging as well

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Spool Gun ??

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            Hot dang good for you ole buddy!!
                            Just crank it up and move fast...you'll catch on. And before you know it the word will get around you do aluminum and you will be tigging as well
                            Fusion, Thanks Man ! This is going to take some getting used to ?
                            I tried some this afternoon, To put it mildly I'm Not Pleased, Looks Like Bird $hit. I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one tomorrow!

Fusion as far as Tigging , I've never tried it, and it will be a while before I can afford that kind of dough !! I'm just staring My 4th year in Business .

New Business + Recession = Tough Times !!
                            But one day I'd really like to give Tig a Shot, I'm only 58 going on 28 !!

......... Norm
                            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I got laid off from the shipyards for 5 months, then now I just got rehired back, and its booming here in florida. Were working 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. Shipyard work is either Feast or Famine, but thats what shipyard workers sign up for.
                              If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Working...
                              X