Help with xmt304 cc/cv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with xmt304 cc/cv

I have a red-e-arc ex300 that has very low voltage and no voltage control. I have checked all of the terminals that the tech manual said and the only thing I can find is the hall device has 15v- and 15v+ but nothing coming out. The manual said to check it but I could not find in there how to check it. I bought a new one through Airgas and installed it and still have the same problem. The new hall is very loose on the lug it goes over and does not look the same, but that is the part number it the book. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rodney

the hall device is a current sensing device. You would need a load applied to the machine to properly test if the hall is giving the proper output signal. If the hal device is always giving a high output back to the control board, that woud drive the machine to minimum output. The fact that you changed it and it still does not work leads me to believe it's not the hall device. You can unplug it to see if your output goes back up but I suspect it will not.

Now when you say it has very low voltage, is that under load or open circuit voltage at the studs(no load)?

Andy

Comment

And generally when a hall device fails it will give you max output instead of minimum.

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies. I went out in the shop and got some numbers to go by. With the v/a adjustment all the way down with no load the volt gauge is flashing 10.5 & 57. With the volt gauge all the way up with no load it is flashing 34.3 & 57.2. Under load I have 18 to 19 volts and 0 amps regardless of dial position. The hall reads around .8 volt with a load at both positions. I really don’t want to buy a control board if I can avoid it but it is not looking good. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I forgot to ask if it is the board does anyone repair the boards instead of having to buy a new one?

Comment

Since your not reporting any error codes, your pc3 display board has failed.

Comment

There are no error codes and also the amp meter will never show any amps but if I get the wire speed set right it does weld pretty good but just not very hot. I do need to weld some exhaust so I guess it will work for that. for now anyway.

Comment

Contact "Weldersales". Thos PC3 boards have never changed for the XMT 304 lineup, so any of them will work fine, and they are easy to swap out.

Comment

I will do that but I will test the pc3 board first according to the tech manual. I also did what Andy said and tried it without the hall plugged up and it had no effect on output.

Comment

Display won't pull error codes, virtually everything else does though

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                      Display won't pull error codes, virtually everything else does though
                      I don’t understand what you mean.

Comment

I mean that you have low power, the unit is starting, so its unlikely to be an interconnect, igbt, or control board. As these would display some sort of error code.

The display board doesn't display any error codes yet it tells the system on what to do via set parameters. So barring any unforeseen problems I haven't seen before, on probably 6000+ machines I've dealt with, It's your display board acting up

Comment

Ok thanks now I understand what you mean. For the most part anything else will show a code.

Comment

low output

I would check the command and feedback signals into the pc1 control board.

-Look at command at pin 22 of the ribbon cable to chassis ground. This should be 0-10 Vdc from min to max adjustment of front panel voltage control.
                            -The voltage feedback will come into pc1 at RC9 pins 1 and 3. This should match stud voltage.
                            -Current feedback from the Hall Device comes in at RC2-9 or the clear wire.(could be different depending on serial number) This would be a 1 Vdc per 100 amps of weld output signal.

-Be sure you don't have a shorted output diode. You should be able to measure more than 100 ohms rsistance with the red meter lead on the negative output stud and black meter lead on the positive output stud.

If these all check out good, let me know and we can check more things.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_tech View Post
                              I would check the command and feedback signals into the pc1 control board.

-Look at command at pin 22 of the ribbon cable to chassis ground. This should be 0-10 Vdc from min to max adjustment of front panel voltage control.
                              -The voltage feedback will come into pc1 at RC9 pins 1 and 3. This should match stud voltage.
                              -Current feedback from the Hall Device comes in at RC2-9 or the clear wire.(could be different depending on serial number) This would be a 1 Vdc per 100 amps of weld output signal.

-Be sure you don't have a shorted output diode. You should be able to measure more than 100 ohms rsistance with the red meter lead on the negative output stud and black meter lead on the positive output stud.

If these all check out good, let me know and we can check more things.
                              Pin 22 has 0 to 8.92 vdc
                              RC9 match the stud voltage
                              Feedback from hall is .80 at 70 to 80 amps with a clamp meter. amp gauge not working.
                              186 ohms between studs.

Pins that I have a bad reading on are PC1 RC1

Pin 4 I have 7.17 on low and 4.20 on high and should be 1 vdc per 10 vdc weld output.

Pin 20 I have -5.95 and should be 1 vdc per 100 amps weld output.

PC3 RC2

Pin 4 I have .69 and should be 1 vdc per 100 amps actual output

Pin 9 4.85 no load and 1.70 w load and should be 1 vdc per 10 vdc weld output.

I think cruizer is right i just want to cover everything before I spend any more than I have to. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X